Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - HAITIANONE:LEGAL ADVICE TO PRODUCERS GOING AFTER BOOTLEGGERS
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

HAITIANONE:LEGAL ADVICE TO PRODUCERS GOING AFTER BOOTLEGGERS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: HAITIANONE:LEGAL ADVICE TO PRODUCERS GOING AFTER BOOTLEGGERS Reply with quote Back to top

As most of you know, our fellow KM member HAITIANONE is an ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER. Check out this advice that he gives to anyone interested in going after bootleggers on the market. CD PRODUCERS would be wise to take notes.

PS: HAITIANONE...With all that business that you will be getting for legal advice...I certainly hope that my check is in the mail. Wink Very Happy

HAITIANONE: "I was puzzled about the whole thing because you needed deposition, which a nicer way to establish legal ownership and establish a complaint, but that had to be filed before the bust. But I would imagine in that desposition you will need to establish your ownership and copyrights is needed if they request further proof.

Enfin, you guys better make sure this busts is on the up and up.

BTW, it is a federal offense to sell large scale bootleg products but that requires federal intervention or in otherwords Dept of Justice needs to be involved. Most likely the FBI will have to be involved. Apparently, this was a large scalel affair if he got over 1000 CDs in that store.

Also, don't take the clown to state court go to federal court and enforce the copyright laws and make sure you count all the CDs he has and I recommend all those labels to form a joinder or in otherwords like together one claim against this guy. It is makes the judgement much more legitimate and expedite any legal problems. That could mean a lot more problems for many in the HMI when producers register with the RIAA.

The RICO thing is a good idea but it will highly recommended that the labels team up together if you need to, and a pursue civil case as well. There is a good possibility you may break his will and his peers for good if you got a fat lien on him.

BTW, RICO gives you treble damage awards so something to think about if this dude got some serious loot. It will definitely shut down the store and any component tied to this bootlegging.

RICO is definitely good way to break these components down.

HAITIANONE!

lepierre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mwen swete ke yap pran not. Exclamation

Sanrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When I read that yesterday, first thing that came in my mind was the Papa Jube's posts.

Good job H1!

Kunta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

H1 if these producers had registered their work through an organization like ASCAP and BMI, these entity would crack down on the pirates/bootlegers under federal laws.

HERE'S WHAT A FULL BAND LOOKS LIKE

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haitianone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat

Thanks for Bro, when business comes in trust me I will give you a call. Wink Laughing

Ti Michel provided some interesting insite to this issue also. It seems to me he has been doing some homework.

That is why give Ti Michel a big congrats for coming here. I may give the man some hard times only when he deserves it and when he does good I say it also.

When Ti Michel gets that RIAA certification we all on KM should congratulate the dude and maybe others will follow suit.

jeancelestin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

H1, fem konin koman bizinis lan ap macher Very Happy

Sanrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
When Ti Michel gets that RIAA certification we all on KM should congratulate the dude and maybe others will follow suit.

H1, if he does get it, will it be a good for the bands under his label or the entire HMI?

Krezyg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

THE QUESTION IS ESKE YO PRAL FE VRE, MEM NEG SA YO NAN BOOTLEG LAN.

Haitianone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sanrick

Well, it could be good for the bands in the sense the producers will get more return on their investment because RIAA has a strong arm to break bootleggers using their association in many states in the US and possibly Canada. That will allow bands in theory to make more in advances for their products.

RIAA does not protect the artists as much as it does the record labels in fighting and combining resources to fight bootlegging and other illegal activities that effect the music industry.

Haitian labels are all independent and the detriment of that is there are no resources to fight these criminal activities on your own. You need to combine resources and use a third party to directly face these issues.

The long term is and Ti Michel alluded to it that is how with time the Latino music industry was cleaned up and permitted to operate with efficient channels of distribution.

For the HMI to increase its presence, it also needs to clean its backyard up too. The question is does the industry insider have the will power. Map suiv!!!!

What I gathered about this African store, the bootleg problem for the HMI may now extended beyond the HMI and possibly to the mainstream. That is why some of them may now be considering its time to join RIAA for protection. But the way the RIAA works requieres better book-keeping and accounting. We will see!!!

Kunta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

H1 pa bliye taxation lol this is why they are avoiding the RIAA. The bookeeping is dangerous for the large money laudering in HMI. You know what that means? NO RIAA any time soon. IRS amd FBI would have a good reason to hit HMI USA hard.

HERE'S WHAT A FULL BAND LOOKS LIKE

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: