Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - Proposed bill to designate May as Haitian-heritage month.
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

Proposed bill to designate May as Haitian-heritage month.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacomo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Proposed bill to designate May as Haitian-heritage month. Reply with quote Back to top

Bill would designate May Haitian-American Month

By Alva James-Johnson
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted May 7 2006

U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek has reintroduced a bill that would designate May as Haitian-American Heritage Month.

The effort came five days after President Bush declared the month Jewish Heritage Month. Bush also is expected to designate June to recognize the contributions of Caribbean-Americans, including Haitians.

LocalLinks

But Meek, D-Miami, thought Haitians deserved their own month.

"The congressman feels the Haitian people have uniquely impacted the history and culture of the United States," said Meek's spokesman Drew Hammill. "In many textbooks the contributions of Haitian people aren't recognized."

Meek first introduced the bill last year, but Congress did not act on it, Hammill said. Meek tried again on April 25, the day the Haitian American Cultural Society kicked off Haitian Heritage Month in Miami-Dade County.

Some activists who touted Caribbean-American Heritage Month as a celebration of contributions by all Caribbean immigrants said they were caught off guard by Meek's proposal.

"Whatever objectives are being sought by this legislation can be accomplished in the context of Caribbean Heritage Month," said Glen Joseph, the South Florida representative for the Washington, D.C.-based Institute of Caribbean Studies. "Unless I'm missing something, there's no need for both."

Jonathan Beeton, communications director for U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Weston, who sponsored the bill designating Jewish Heritage Month, said he doesn't foresee any problems sharing May with another ethnic group.

"The important thing is that we take the time as Americans to educate each other about the different parts of America that makes us one whole multicultural nation," Beeton said. "We support other months, and that would include Haitian-American Month

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
konpadiva

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am all for this being initiated “Haitian Heritage Monthâ€. The idea the other Representatives have as “Caribbean-American Month†would not include the contributions of Haitians. By stating this, Haiti which is located in Latin America is not even considered as Latin America for many. When an individual think of the Caribbean, the first that comes to mind is; Jamaica, Virgin Islands, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago. Haiti, is the last country that would come to mind, if you are not familiar with the country. Moreover, a month designated specifically for us, I am all for it.

SexyAfterdark

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kompadiva,

I agree with you. It is time that Haiti is recognized for its contribution to the USA.

JenJen

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would prefer for Haiti to have its own month also. I was very surprised to learn recently how Haiti contributed to U.S. history. Haiti needs to be recognized for that.

JenJen

PrincessSaSa

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for sharing that article with us, Jacomo. I hope that this bill goes through. It would be great for Haitians to have this month.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: