KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

OLIVIER DURET (T-VICE): KOMPAMAGAZINE.COM INTERVIEW..READ!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM INTERVIEW CLASSICS!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: OLIVIER DURET (T-VICE): KOMPAMAGAZINE.COM INTERVIEW..READ! Reply with quote Back to top

OLIVIER DURET has apparently made such a positive impact for T-VICE, many people are calling him the revelation of 2006/2007, especially on the group's new cd. KOMPAMAGAZINE had the chance to sit down and interview OLIVIER DURET to find out more about this artist. Check it out.

1) Why don't you tell the fans...WHO IS OLIVIER DURET?

OLIVIER: Well, I’m a down to earth person who loves music and sports. I am friendly,easy going, understanding... Kindda shy, even when you see me performing with T-Vice… Took a little while to get used to it, but I’m good now.

2) How did you get involved in music? Obviously, T-VICE is NOT your
first forray into music.

OLIVIER: I’ve actually been singing since I was a kid but only at home to friends and family. I actually was into other types of songs than konpa, like R&B and french songs. Konpa wasn’t really something I used to sing until I met Mika. He’s the one that got me into it when he was writing his songs and I started singing them with him which led me to be part of his shows, like cafe des arts and so on...

3) How did you end up becoming a regular member of TVICE?

OLIVIER: Last year, James Cardozo had an eye surgery and the guys needed someone to replace him for about a month. Since I had worked with them on the last CD, "vinn pran not" doing background vocals for them, I pretty much knew the songs and they asked me to fill in for him. After the month, the guys realized that I had something to offer and asked me if I wanted to continue... and that was That.

4) Has your HMI experience been what you expected so far or not?

OLIVIER: My HMI experience has actually been what I expected and more. The only thing is, when you're on the outside, you don’t know how much work it really is to be a musician, but I love it...

5) Your most memorable moment SO FAR as an hmi performer/artist?

OLIVIER: My most memorable moment would be when I went to play at a festival in Belgium. First of all it was my first time there (it’s really nice) and second we were playing for a different crowd. There were Haitians but the crowd was mostly people from other backgrounds who were actually dancing, jumping, screaming, enjoying a music that people tend to say will never cross over.

6) What are your other favorite bands whether it be Haitian music or
any other type of music?

OLIVIER: Wow… I love every type of music so it’s hard for me to find one specific band that's my favorite... I listen to every Haitian band, each has their own flavor. As for other types, I like Dave Matthews Band, Seal, Craig David, Doc gyneco, Francis Cabrel and so much more...

7) Speaking of that, you seem to have something totally different
music wise that you do on the side with Mika Benjamin. Tell us about
that. I also believe you have a myspace page as well? Do you see
that going anywhere or what do you hope to accomplish with that?

OLIVIER: KAI is a project that Ignace Hage, Andrew Barrow and I started years ago. Mika came on board later on. We’ve produced some Haitians songs like "LEVE" which is featured on a compilation CD, but we are more focused on alternative music. You can listen to some tracks on www.myspace.com/kai222
As far as what we hope to accomplish with that, we'll see.... Part of making music is having fun too.

8) Tell us about the song that you composed on the TVice cd "Santim'
Ta Kriye"? How did that come about, and what made you choose this
particular song to give to the Vice crew as your first song on the
cd?

OLIVIER: The song is about a guy having some problems with his girlfriend. Instead of the usual guy giving a girl problems, it’s the other way around. It's always hard to leave someone hence “Santim ta kriye” but at a certain point you feel like there's no other choice when the person seems to be doing everything to make you leave. At the end you let her know that it’s over and that there's plenty of fish in the sea...

It actually wasn’t a personal experience, just an observation that it doesn’t only happen to women. I chose this song because it was a good subject, I think, and it was not a straight compa song, it’s a different flavor.

9) Are you more comfortable singing compas love or compas CHOFFE?

OLIVIER: Everybody can see that I am more comfortable singing compa love but with practice I should be able to sing the compa choffe easily especially with a great teacher like Roberto.

10) You must be aware of the good reviews that you have been getting
from the fans in terms of what you bring to TVice with your singing
and compositions. How does that make you feel when you read that?

OLIVIER: It really feels great to get all those compliments and good reviews, when I first got in the band people were a little skeptical of what I could bring so it feels really good to hear them change their mind.

11) Do you see yourself in TVice long term, or is this a short term
deal?

OLIVIER: I was fortunate enough to get this opportunity and I want to thank T-Vice for giving it to me. They have welcomed me like family and I am very grateful for that. As far as how long I’ll stay only time will tell... For now, I don’t see myself doing anything else.

12) Question for the ladies that I had to ask...Is Olivier Duret
available or not? If so, how does your girl handle the fame that is
now being thrown your way?

OLIVIER: I do have someone in my life... she handles it pretty well, its not easy. There are always questions and all that but it’s all good.

13) Whose your music idol?

OLIVIER: Once again, I love music so much that I can't pick one particularly...nevertheless, if there is one person I would like to mention in there, not as specifically an idol but an inspiration, it would be Michael Benjamin. He's the one that actually pushed me towards singing (professionally) and another funny thing is, he's the one that took me to work on T-Vice's previous CD, "vinn pran not". So I owe him a lot. One Love Mika!!!

14) Does Olivier play any instruments?

OLIVIER: Nope, my voice is my instrument. :-)

15) Do you still go to school, or does he have a degree from
an institution? Do you plan on pursuing other interests with your
education?

OLIVIER: I do have a Bachelors degree in management from Florida International University. I will probably be doing personal stuff but I don’t know exactly for now...

16) What's the best way to handle a musician's girlfriend who might
be jealous because of all the attention that her musician's boyfriend
is getting from many female fans?

OLIVIER: I guess try to make the person understand the business and what it entails. And also do as much as I can to make the person have trust in you.

17) If YOU were the boyfriend of a FEMALE ARTIST and YOU were NOT a
member of TVice, or were not a well known musician, would YOU be
able to handle it? If yes...HOW...If no...why not?

OLIVIER: Well, I am not in the situation so I can't answer like I know how it feels... so I don’t really have an answer for that question.

1Cool Name 3 things that turns you OFF about people

OLIVIER: Hypocrites, “know it all”s and liars.

19) If I wasn't a musician I would prefer to be....(Complete the
sentence and tell us why)

OLIVIER: Well my dream has always been to be a musician so I can’t say exactly what else I could have been... I always wanted to be a soccer player but being a musician was my dream and I got it so I guess I am just blessed...

20) Any final words?

OLIVIER: I would like to thank all the fans that have supported me, especially my family for backing me up with my decision. Thanks to all the people on Kompamagazine for the reviews, and constructive criticism is always welcome! Keep on supporting the Vice Crew. We are working really hard to please the fans. Thank you very much Patrick!!!

Last edited by kompamagazine on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Haitianone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Big Up Olivier!!! Great interview and wish the best man.

PhizUniq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good interview! Bon bagay Olivier.

Thanks KM.

kafou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ti mesye, tout sa VICE camp lan fe toujou Diamond devan zye nou.

anmweyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Haitianone, let us renew our battles man! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Phiz li minm, depi se vice camp lan se toujou bravo kudos li bay 90% of the time.

A LA MANIERE DE MIZIK LAKAY
" OU DI OU CHAJE KLAS, ENBIN POUKISA OU PA ALLER FE LEKOL AVEK YO"

PhizUniq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kafou wrote:
Phiz li minm, depi se vice camp lan se toujou bravo kudos li bay 90% of the time.

Brother it's just an interview man!

What's wrong with that? Tchuip... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

kafou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Phiz,

Tekyelo Poze'w!

Pa vin fe coeur la.

indeed that was a great interview.

pou kisa wap voye tout chip sa yo ban mwen la.

mwen pa ka bay opinion pam mwen minm. Laughing

A LA MANIERE DE MIZIK LAKAY
" OU DI OU CHAJE KLAS, ENBIN POUKISA OU PA ALLER FE LEKOL AVEK YO"

LadyKreyol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Phiz, Kafou was only trying to push you guys buttons, and you fell for it. Very Happy . He knows it was a cool interview, but it's no FUN when everyone just says "nice interview".

BTW Pat, nice interview. Olivier sounds like a really cool cat and it was very interesting learning how and who got him involved in singing professinonally.

Jay Brooklyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ti piti sa'a gin pou'l vinn tres bon...
epi nou tande misye di kel pa jwe instrument...
piga taleu mwen we misye kinbe yon kibod lan minm non...

Gromosso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

#1 Draft Pick la pale wi la a. Thanks for the interview Pat.

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Olivier comes across to me as a very cool laid back type of guy. It does not look like success will get to his head.

KM!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM INTERVIEW CLASSICS! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: