KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

IS THIS "MUSIC OR TALK SHOW"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ REY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: IS THIS "MUSIC OR TALK SHOW"? Reply with quote Back to top

in the HMI nowadays specially in a live setting the public has been exposed for what I call a Talk Show instead of Music Show.
Even some of our most talented artists has been trapped focusing or wasting their time trashing other bands or fellow artist just to get attention instead of working on their skills by providing good music to the public.
The Carnival is a perfect example of our low our musician would go to be on a spotlight. This disease is spreading so fast that is becoming a cancer and band members missing the art of creating a symphony are spending more time and energy creating Cacophonyand calling one another by some stupid names. Some are called: Gorilla, Ti lepe, Drug user, others even go as far as cursing out family members. Are we paying for a music or a talk show?

My hope is the next bal I attend or the next album I purchase the artist will get rid of some of the unnessary comment and let the music do the talk .

Rolling Eyes This is just an observation.

TheFrick1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great observation DJ REY....the last thing I want to hear is trash coming out of a musician's mouth....the message is loud and clear guys, all this negativity is getting you nowhere.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FUNKY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dj Rey...Wap suivvvvv....

Ces jours ci....musicien yo pa concentre sou fe bon musik non..se nan fe bagay negatif selman....Enfin !!!!

NEGKREYOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

During Kanaval, that's okay...they can do that without the family attacks. but during a ball, it's ridiculous.

But hey, this is the HMI where everything goes.

DJ Pepla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DJ Rey, Welcome to KM brother.
I hate to say this but we like all of the above. I can’t blame the musicians because we allow them to do that; in fact we make them to that. A musician goes as far as the market; we demand it and they supply. Is it right? I don’t know. Is it wrong? No. This is the jeopardy we are playing in all aspect of the music. Human being love controversial phase; even we are not dealing with music. Furthermore, “The Talk Show” happens in the Hip Hop Industry as well. I think if all musicians stay neutral like Zenglen, Nu Look, etc, the HMI would be boring in my opinion.

CatDog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For me it shows a lack of good judgment, taste and respect. The lack of respect is not only for the group that you are attacking but also yourself and your band. What is killing me in all of the polemic crap is that they think the more dirt they can get on the other band and sing about it the better off they will be and that will prove they are superior to the other group. Someone needs to tell them wake up. I wonder if they see by doing that they are loosing respect of a lot of their fans and turn off other potential or even existing fans.

Ti boxer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rey -

I feel you. I'm not crazy about it either.

But wait a minute! The last time I checked, this line of work is called "Entertainment." It's nickname is "Show business."

Lets not kid ourselves guys....at least not too much.

From the Nas and Jay-Z saga all the way to Sweet Micky vs TVICE and now Djakout vs. TVICE, this stuff is done - and there's a reason for it. There's a market out there for that. People want to see things spiced up a little bit. Heck - that's how Mickey makes his money; spicing things up! There is a time to tone it down and there's a time to crank it up. Not everyone wants to see all bands kiss, hug, and make up. There's an audience who just want to hear the insults and such....eventhough the artists themselves may be cool with each other when it's all said and done. Often time there's an understanding too. But the point is - it's all part of the business.

There's an audience who want to see people make complete num-nutts out of themselves on American Idol. What do the producers do? They devote nearly a whole show to it - and then 4 or 5 shows later - they get down to the people that actually know how to sing. Show business.

There's an audience who wants to see Donald Trump make MBAs, lawyers, engineers and other professionals feel like complete dirt in the boardroom. What do the producers do? They make the part where people are getting fired and creating useless drama in the boardroom the longest part of the show. Show business!

The only difference is - in the HMI, there aren't any producers pulling the strings on live shows. Its the artists stirring up controversies to attract the public and reach fame faster. But trust me - if producers were involved, they'd have the HMI more like WWF - or now WWE!

Why- you ask? It's showbiz Laughing !

Ti Boxer

DJ Pepla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

CatDog wrote:
For me it shows a lack of good judgment, taste and respect. The lack of respect is not only for the group that you are attacking but also yourself and your band. What is killing me in all of the polemic crap is that they think the more dirt they can get on the other band and sing about it the better off they will be and that will prove they are superior to the other group. Someone needs to tell them wake up. I wonder if they see by doing that they are loosing respect of a lot of their fans and turn off other potential or even existing fans.

Catdog,
Disagree; I think after the canaval as an example, more people anticipate the next Djakout album than before including their fans.
As much trash I know Micky talked but yet the kind of people that show up to this guy BAL is amazing. My friend back in Tampa was having a conversation with Micky and he told him that even he couldn’t understand how these people showed up here. The last Micky concert I went to, I was surprised to compare that the CaRiMi BAL had more vagabond than the Micky BAL. In fact, trash talking keeps Micky alive.
Controversial topic is hot and there is a demand. I don’t like trash talking but if I was an investor, I rather Djakout or T-Vice talk trash than not to. Mwen pat menm konnen si’m te fet le trash talking te komanse nan Konpa.

CatDog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DJ Pepla, I hear what you and Ti Boxer are saying but I guess I'm one of the people that is tired of hearing this crap. I can understand that during Carnival time you can get away with saying some things, and that is fine by me as long as you are not taking it to far, but for every single bal the talking trash need to stop.

As for Mickey, he is in a category by himself. You cannot compare him to anyone.

Machiavel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: IS THIS "MUSIC OR TALK SHOW"? Reply with quote Back to top

DJ REY wrote:
in the HMI nowadays specially in a live setting the public has been exposed for what I call a Talk Show instead of Music Show.
Even some of our most talented artists has been trapped focusing or wasting their time trashing other bands or fellow artist just to get attention instead of working on their skills by providing good music to the public.
The Carnival is a perfect example of our low our musician would go to be on a spotlight. This disease is spreading so fast that is becoming a cancer and band members missing the art of creating a symphony are spending more time and energy creating Cacophonyand calling one another by some stupid names. Some are called: Gorilla, Ti lepe, Drug user, others even go as far as cursing out family members. Are we paying for a music or a talk show?

My hope is the next bal I attend or the next album I purchase the artist will get rid of some of the unnessary comment and let the music do the talk .

Rolling Eyes This is just an observation.

Thanks for echoing my sentiments, DJ. I am glad somebody else feels the same way.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: