KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

MORE BLACK MEN IN COLLEGE THAN IN PRISON

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: MORE BLACK MEN IN COLLEGE THAN IN PRISON Reply with quote Back to top

I had a guest lecturere in one of my classes last night from the st.pete times. He works as a tv and music critique and is also a diversity advisor for the paper.

According to research that he did in 2000, there were more balck men ages 18 to 24 in college than in prison. The data is a little old, he said, but he's about to get some new data this year and he doean't think the n umbers are going to change much.

I was so glad to hear this because for at least a decade I have been hearing people say that most of our black men are in prison. There are more white men in prison than black men, namely because there are mroe white men around than black men. As a percentage of the black population, there are too many black men in prison. I agree with that and that certainly needs to change, but at least the next time somone is schocked that my brother is 25 and hasn't been to prison I can tell them that there are more black men out there like him than not.

I asked him to forward me the new data when he get it.

JenJen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very interesting. The general notion is that more black men are in prison than in college. It would be nice to hear/read data that would prove this wrong.

JenJen

dschaeff03

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

His research is considerably at odds with actual statisitics.

wonder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dschaeff03 wrote:
His research is considerably at odds with actual statisitics.

dschaeff03,
You'll be suprised to know that what he said may actually be right. I was shocked myself when I've learned that in America more Whites are on welfare programs than Blacks, but the talk on TV stations, Radio stations etc lead us often to think that Blacks are the ones using welfare the most. But the real story is that they're not. It's not always what it seems bro.

islandspicey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Siromyel,
I can't people are shocked to hear that your brother's never been to prison at the age of 25.
Since when did going to prison become a common norm in this society to the point where people are shocked if you don't fall into that bracket? That's sad.

Anyway, good news. It seems everytime I read some stats on black men it's bad news. As if black men are hopeless.

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It sure is IP. It sure is.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: