KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

Mother Dies After 911 Operator Ignores Boy's Call For Help

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sleepy haitian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Mother Dies After 911 Operator Ignores Boy's Call For Help Reply with quote Back to top

I was gettyimages looking on there main page and it showed
pictures of a 6 yr old @ a conference with his big sis/ lawyer
and they were talking about how the 911 operator let his
mom die. That's a shame he was trying to get help for his
mom and she died. Here's the story

911 Operator Ignores Boy's Plea, Mom Dies

POSTED: 2:27 pm CDT April 7, 2006
UPDATED: 7:29 pm CDT April 7, 2006
Email This Story | Print This Story
DETROIT -- A 6-year-old boy's 911 call for help was thought to be a prank, but the call was real and the boy's mother died, according to WDIV-TV in Detroit.

Robert Turner called 911 to get help for his mother, Sherel Turner, 46, whom he found lying unconscious on the kitchen floor of their Detroit apartment in February, the station reported.

"Then I had felt her tummy. She wasn't breathing. Then I had called 911," said Robert. "I told them to send an emergency truck right now."

911 Operator: "911. What's the problem?"

Robert: "My mom has passed out."

The 911 operator, however, did not take him seriously and told him to stop playing on the phone, the station reported.

911 Operator: "Where's the grownups at?"

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "Let me speak to her before I send the police over there."

"I tried to tell them she wouldn't talk," said Robert.

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "I don't care. You shouldn't be playing on the phone. Now put her on the phone before I send the police out there to knock on the door and you gonna be in trouble."

Robert: "Ugh!" (Hangs up.)

Kimberly Harris, the union president of AFSCME Local 1023, said more than a quarter of phone calls received by 911 operators are prank calls. She also said that everybody does not express their pain or emergencies the same way.

"That operator could have had five prank calls. Kids calling in prior to that call. And please, don't think that I am trying to make an excuse. That was a tragedy," said Harris.
Robert Turner
Robert Turner

Officials said the 911 operator will be disciplined, but because of her years of service she will not be fired.

"I know that operator. I know that she is a very good operator," said Harris. "She is very thorough."

Robert said every time someone talks about his mother, he starts crying.

Police continue to investigate.

sleepy haitian

Sweet kowompu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yeah, I saw that on the news... Confused Confused I remember it happened a few years ago in France, the same case but a little girl called the 911, and the operator sent immediately someone at her house.
I just cannot beleive that they didn't even sent a police car to her/his house. Incroyable et triste Sad

JenJen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tragic. Prank or no prank, someone should have been sent out to investigate. You can't take that chance.

JenJen

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: