KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

Haitian Movie Musical
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Machiavel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Haitian Movie Musical Reply with quote Back to top

Is the public ready for one?

CatDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I think they have a lot more work to do with the HMI movie industry before they can even think about doing a musical. I have not seen a HMI movie so far that has blew me away, my feeling after watching most of these movies have been what a waste of my time that I can’t ever get back. But again you never know maybe a movie musical might be better because of the songs in there

Last edited by CatDog on Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

konpaconvert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A haitian musical in a live stage setting, yes...but a MOVie musical ..HELL NO!!!!

The public is not the problem, it just can't be done right now...like catDog stated, they gotta lot of work to do in the movie department as is.

Tilouj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On of my friend made me watch "la foi de ma vie" (think that is the name of it) Man!!!! I asked her, what did I do to her, to torture me like this? I don't think we are ready yet for a musical. We need to improve extremely on the cinematography before venturing to that.

Machiavel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I must say I gotta agree with you guys. We're struggling to make a subpar music video, let alone a full musical.

Lil'biggyted14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I personally think that the only or one of the few Haitian bands that can do a "Haitian Movie Musical" or "Opera" is BOUKMAN X-PERIANS.

Why?
Because LôLô (Théodore Beaubrun Jr.) and Manzê Mimerose P. Beaubrun) have the musical and theatrical/acting skills within themselves.

Watch the last carnivals song videos, try to put the acting parts together and even the dancing choregraphies, you will have a complete satire of the socio-politico-economic life in the country.

In an interview I had with Him a few years ago for an upcoming/dying magazine, he told me that he had in mind to try the opera style.
Hope he is still thinking of doing it.

Haitian Movie Musical may be easier to be done with root musics (rasin gwoup tankou: Shandel, Boukman,...) than with Konpa bands.

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cATDOG AND TILOUJ, DO YOU GUYS REALLY FEEL THAT WAY ABOUT THOSE MOVIES? WOW!

THEY MAY NOT BE UP TO HOLLYWOOD'S STANDARDS TECHNICALLY, BUT THEY ARE FUNNY AND HAVE PLENTY OF MORAL LESSONS AND I think a lot of people can relate to them.

I personally enjoy watching them, especially VIP, ALLELOUIAH, I LOVE YOU ANNE, BARIKAD, MILLIONAIRE PAR ERREUR

I can't wait to see CAFE AU LAIT, and OASIS.

in terms of musicals, I don't like them anyway, so it doens't mean much to me if we have them or not.

konpadiva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A Haitian Movie Musical and is the Public ready for one? I would not say they are not ready per se. It depends on which audience the musical will be catered too. The middle aged or older population will support in the beginning. From there, if it is a success will extend to the younger generation.

I do believe one could be done? We do have the talented singers/musicians in the HMI. When I saw the title of this thread, “The Color Purple” came to mind. I wanted to see it this weekend while in NY, but unfortunately I did not! Back to what I was saying.

If the right individual such as: Lionel Benjamin (Played in several films), Emeline Michel, Dadou Pasquet(Had a role in Café au Lait, very good performance from him), Manno Charlemagne, Dieudonne LaRose, Jacqueline Denis, Beethovas Obas, Carole Demesmin, Reginald Cangé, Armstrong Jeune. Needless to say, depending on these individuals ACTING skills my cast would make a wonderful musical. However, organization/professionalism would play a critical part in order to be successful and the storyline as well. I can dream of attending a Haitian Movie Musical one day, it may happen who knows.

CatDog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SIROMYEL wrote:

THEY MAY NOT BE UP TO HOLLYWOOD'S STANDARDS TECHNICALLY, BUT THEY ARE FUNNY AND HAVE PLENTY OF MORAL LESSONS AND I think a lot of people can relate to them.

I personally enjoy watching them, especially VIP, ALLELOUIAH, I LOVE YOU ANNE, BARIKAD, MILLIONAIRE PAR ERREUR

in terms of musicals, I don't like them anyway, so it doens't mean much to me if we have them or not.

Unfortunately yes. I can count in one hand all the HMI movies that I think are ok.

Machiavel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SIROMYEL wrote:

Very true. I have had non-creole speaking folks watch some of my Haitian movies that have subtitles, and they have enjoyed them immensly.
Haiti is a land of folk tales and interesting stories. We do have great story plots, but we have not managed to fully take advantage of the technological advances, especially the lighting, to make our movies look less subpar.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: