Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - PIPIRITE: THINGS TO AVOID AS AN HMI VOCALIST!
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

PIPIRITE: THINGS TO AVOID AS AN HMI VOCALIST!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipirite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: PIPIRITE: THINGS TO AVOID AS AN HMI VOCALIST! Reply with quote Back to top

THIS IS WHAT ANY SERIOUS SINGER SHOULD DO and AVOID in terms of their voices. ..

WORK ON HIS VOCALS

Not many HMI artists (maybe 2%) NEVER works on their vocals. I only know a few that take voice lessons from time to time (Alan Cave, Jude Jean...). You do not need to go every week. I try to work on my vocals as much as possible. Pouchon lives in Montreal, I could recommand some friends of mine who are very good teacher and could improve his voice. Now, I do not think he would become Zouzoule after 3 months..and frankly, this is not the purpose. At least, he would be able to sing TALYA and not sound horribly.

PRACTICE HIS VOICE

The vocal chords are muscle. Like every muscles, you need to work them out so that they keep their ablities. There are very simple breathing and diaphragm exercices that could hepl him maintain a certain vocal shape. They are very easy to do, trust me. The key is to be consistent with them

TAKE CARE OF HIS VOICE

This is where most HMI singer lacks. There is 2 things that can almost obliterate your voice.

ALCOHOL

It dries up your vocal chords, removing your voice of any power. If you are still asking yourself how the great Shoubou lost his voice considerably over the years, stop asking yourself. Alcool is deadly for the voice.

SMOKING

Smoking has a dampening effect on your vocal range. If you could hit some notes before and now you cannot... stop smoking and your voice will gradually regain his original range.

Personally, I think this is a little of all those points that can make a singer's voice decrease. If every singer could take at least one of those advice, their voice could significantly improve.

PIPIRITE

TOTOVICE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The problem is that relatively, he voice decreased a lot compared to earlier albums...and this could be a problem for years to come. Maybe we could have noticed it before, but with one album every 3 years, this is the reality we are facing...

Quote:
ALCOOL

It dries up your vocal chords, removing your voice of any power. If you are still asking yourself how the great Shoubou lost his voice considerably over the years, stop asking yourself. Alcool is deadly for the voice.

SMOKING

Smoking has a dampening effect on your vocal range. If you could hit some notes before and now you cannot... stop smoking and your voice will gradually regain his original range

Thank you sir . You make perfect sense! Case closed.

TOTOVICE
MASS KONPA " BEL JAZZ "

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pipirite

Thanks for your breakdown.

ARE YOU SURE that alcohol can actually have an effect on your VOCAL CHORDS?

I know that you are a singer in a choir...so PLEASE CAN YOU ELABORATE?

Thanks.

KM!

TOTOVICE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Patrick,

I am not a singer, but i can tell you Alcohol does have an effect on your vocal chords, especially if you drink too much....

TOTOVICE
MASS KONPA " BEL JAZZ "

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Totovice

Is it an effect FOR THE NIGHT or THE LONG RUN?

KM!

pipirite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Pat,

Unfortunately, alcool has that very nasty effect. Many of our singers like to drink a little before a performance... pou to ka rechofe vwa yo in a manner of speaking. You now have the feeling that your voice is warm enough and that your vocal chords are now loose....the real effect is quite the contrary. It tightens the vocal chords and the chords cannot have the same power it had before.

Alcool also has a long-term effect. It dries up your vocal chords to the point that they can barely vibrate when you try to sing. This happens after many years of alcool consumption.

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your point about SMOKING I find a bit interesting. How can a singer after YEARS OF SMOKING actually REGAIN HIS VOICE the way that it was?

I find that almost impossible to believe.

KM!

TOTOVICE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat,

Pipirite answered the question perfectly.

TOTOVICE
MASS KONPA " BEL JAZZ "

pipirite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it will never get to the exact same point than before smoking, but the singer could regain a lot.

I had a friend who started singing as a baritone, he started smoking and lost a lot of vocal range, so he had to sing bass because he was smoking.

He stopped smoking and after 2 years, was able to regain his baritone voice (maybe one or 2 half tones close...which is quite something anyway)

konpa rockers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pipirite, what about chinese food what does that do to your vocal cord.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: