KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

T-VICE FELL INTO THE TRAP & MUST NOW SAY................
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: T-VICE FELL INTO THE TRAP & MUST NOW SAY................ Reply with quote Back to top

"Innocent", "Confession", "Tu Me Touches", "Adoration", "Sensation" (Bidi Bidi Banm"), "Sove Lanmou", "Timidite", "J'aimerais te revoir" with Jocelyn Labylle...and these are just a few songs that I choose as examples of what was working EXTREMELY WELL FOR T-VICE; that THEY have chosen to go away from....a couple of albums ago.

The common denominator is...ROBERTO MARTINO ON VOCALS....ON A SLOW COMPAS LOVE SONG

ROBERTO AND T-VICE fell for the trap. They fell for the pressure issued towards them by many naysayers who just kept on and on about Roberto Martino's voice not being good enough to carry a song where he would have to display some GREAT VOCAL SKILLS. More likely than not, because of that, I believe that's what prompted T-VICE to go out there and recruit another vocalist to add next to Roberto. Don't get me wrong, Olivier Duret was an excellent addition for T-VICE which helped bring the band up to another level...but at the same time, T-VICE chose to abandon what had worked for them quite a lot in the past ROBERTO MARTINO LEAD VOCALS ON SLOW JAMS. Well, they did not COMPLETELY ABANDON THEM, but they CUT DOWN ON IT and had Roberto concentrate on the UPTEMPO SONGS.

If you glance once again through that list of songs that I wrote up there...there is another word in common that they have.......HIT! TOUT MIZIK KI SOU LISTE KI ANLE A...SE HIT....GRO HIT YO TE YE POU T-VICE....AK VWA ROBERTO MARTINO sou yo. If I was the T-VICE crew; with the trend having shifted in the HMI to the point that SE MIZIK LOVE/SLOW KAP MACHE PLUS NAN MOMAN AN....I would tell T-VICE to have ROBERTO sing MORE SLOW/COMPAS LOVE SONGS on the next CD that he usually does. Do not go with the strategy of giving the slow jams to REGIMUZIK, and leaving the uptempo ones for Berto. You can mix it up...BUT MAKE SURE KE ROBERTO CHANTE PLUS MIZIK COMPAS LOVE KE LI KON ABITUE CHANTE.

YES...Roberto Martino might not have the best lead vocals in the business....but it sure well has worked and made lots of money and scored lots of hits for the group for over 20 years. Ke se Uptempo ou Compas Love...BATON. Why T-VICE fell into that trap of trying to shut the critics down by GIVING IN TO THEM...is beyond me. T-VICE...COME BACK IN FULL FORCE AK VWA ROBERTO MARTINO....on MORE COMPAS LOVE TRACKS than usual....if the songs are good.....WATCH AND SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

PS: If the critics don't like AT LEAST 1 of the songs that I mentioned on the list above; or have never caught themselves singing it or humming it.....I really don't know what to say because LOTS OF PEOPLE have found joy through the songs on THAT list.

T-VICE....MIN MESAJ LA....ROBERTO COMPAS LOVE in FULL FORCE sou prochain plak la.....STOP GOING AWAY FROM A WEAPON THAT SCORED SO MANY GOALS FOR YOU FOR MANY YEARS!

KM!

Last edited by kompamagazine on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

wpozit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I will disagree 1000% with you on that Pat. These were indeed hit songs, because they were great songs for their time, and some still would be relevant today. And this was, not because of Roberto's voice. They were just great compositions in terms of catering to the needs of the public at the time. I still believe that Roberto's vocals were probably what lacked on them. Given any of these songs to Oli D. he would have killed them, at least on the studio album. Roberto would have probably done more in the live circuit with them, but Oli D. starts to prove with Dat7 that he can also hold his own live as the sole front man. Roberto's voice did not make these songs great. I think the public is so used to him as the standard bearer and the voice of the group that it took some time to get used to someone else. And the last two productions from T-Vice were not great.

menkonpa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good point Pat, yes T-Vice fell in that trap. In my mind, the best vocal performance of Roberto, if you can call it that, was on the Vinn Pran Not album.
In fact, to fit Olivier Duret's more RnB style, T-Vice even changed their musical style, to a more vocal oriented style, and less so on all of the nice sequencing Reynaldo was doing on songs like Innocent that covered up Roberto vocal deficiences. That's my opinion of course. This is even more evident with RegiMuzik's addition.
For example, one of my favorite songs on the last Vice albums is M'ap tuip.
T-Vice never really needed a second singer, not as much as they needed to become a full band. They just got caught in the bandwagon.
The addition of Regimuzik will lead them no where further than Olivier took them or that T-Vice would have gone on their own.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Titanium

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol banm pa di anyen pou yo pa retire'm sou forum nan , but let's keep it really Roberto is not a vocallist, lets stop lying to ourselves ..Kite'm was their best CD thus Far because of Olivier's Vocal...banm jete'm anvan yo shoute'm lol

RoiHenri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Biznis la change, moun yo di yo pap pran magi pou caramel anko.
Ou gen on liste de chanteur serieux deyo a
Reginald cange
Klemay
Pipo
Arly
Olivier
Steeve K
M pap di li impossible, men lap tres difficile pou Roberto pase la. Et m kontan Tou ke yo rekonet febles yo

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TITANIUM and WPOZIT

When I say ROBERTO's vocals on the songs, I am NOT saying that Roberto has the best vocals in the business....I am saying that his voice FITS WELL with those HIT SONGS....and T-VICE PRAN PRESSION NAN MIN fanatic kap pale anpil (Critics from other bands)...and they gradually changed their formula by having Roberto sing LESS of the Compas LOVE songs....having him instead focus more on the UPTEMPO/MID-TEMPO tracks.

PS: MENKONPA Thanks for even going into more TECHNICAL details in terms of what I meant.

KM!

Djdirimix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mwen pa finn dako non...denye album nan gen "fe jem plezi" "se paw mwen ye" "all about you" ke roberto chante/collabo...music grow on people over a period of time and the fact there wasnt that many bands and many song like today..that same song that was a hit back then prolly wouldnt a hit right now...epi mwen remake lontan se plis intrumen ki te nan mizik yo se sak fe mizik yo te pi long kounya se "res la pou bal"..le wap tande mizik sa yo ou mensyone an wo yo wap remake renaldo ak ak berto fe au moins 1 minite ap lage solo e depi nan intro groove lage(ki fel pi bon pou dj yo) nan men kounya se plis pale anpil e se jis nan mitan mizik la pou jwen yon groove

Mr Titanium

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kompamagazine wrote:
TITANIUM and WPOZIT

When I say ROBERTO's vocals on the songs, I am NOT saying that Roberto has the best vocals in the business....I am saying that his voice FITS WELL with those HIT SONGS....and T-VICE PRAN PRESSION NAN MIN fanatic kap pale anpil (Critics from other bands)...and they gradually changed their formula by having Roberto sing LESS of the Compas LOVE songs....having him instead focus more on the UPTEMPO/MID-TEMPO tracks.

PS: MENKONPA Thanks for even going into more TECHNICAL details in terms of what I meant.

KM!

Pat, Je blagues lol, I know what you meant, ou konnen fok nou pran ti jabs nou kanmenm

HappyMax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

20+ years later, I trust them 2 brothers when it comes to vision and bringing new trends in the HMI. Some may argue it is not true Nemours Kompa...koté sax la?, koté ligne van an, koté ceci, koté cela, the fact is Tvice is always in the forefront of trends in the HMI. They only played follower roles once in their lifetime (their very first years: Ref: Sweet Micky and a modern Top Vice). They have been consistent a mixing fast and slow musics with groove that they master well and bait others to follow. However since them 2 brothers are not in the top echelon in voice and musical make up, the bands that follow them perfected it better than them...All the songs mentioned by Pat are superb songs and trends leading songs, but they will not fare well with the type of competition that is out there. Tvice always started something that others out hustled them at it. When they tried to regain it, it is a tad too late or too sub par. 4Las was 3+ years late since lafamilia was already the new norm. Their last 4 albums are full of love songs (with or without Roberto) but still so so compared to what the Arlys, Nickenson Prudhomme etc...have out there. So it is not a Roberto thing, it is a case of not able to perfect what they started because the competition is big out there. You also need a soul connection with the ladies when rendering your love songs live that Roberto was never the greatest at. So if i was them i will keep leading with new plays, new styles, new trends and let the other side (competition) double teaming them or perfecting them later...So be it...lead even if others out hustled you in your own game. Them guys are the IBM of the game (not fancy like apple, not windows 10), but a force to reckon with. I will not bother paying attention to such trap. This band is unique (only one competitor Djakout and a bunch of associates (Klass, Carimi, nulook, Disip, Kreyola, Zenglen, Harmonik etc...plus a steady 300-450 people market guaranteed.... so obviously they can take risks all day long. I will keep being non predictable in the good way (like they have been the past 4 years) album after album

wpozit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

By the way Jocelyne's voice and the bass-guitar combination made "J'aimerais te revoir". Roberto's vocals were not good on that song, let me not even mention his corny/terrible english ad-libs.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: