Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - J PERRY: INTERVIEW ON LIFE AS SOLO ARTIST IN HMI (READ)!
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

J PERRY: INTERVIEW ON LIFE AS SOLO ARTIST IN HMI (READ)!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: J PERRY: INTERVIEW ON LIFE AS SOLO ARTIST IN HMI (READ)! Reply with quote Back to top

------------------------------------------------------------

Check out this piece with JPERRY where he talks about life as an HMI solo artist in the industry. Some pretty interesting comments + more. Check it out.

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: If you were managing an artist, would u advise for him to be part of a BAND or go the SOLO route? Why?
JPERRY: "I would advise him to go solo but solo doesn't mean not have a band. For example i'm a solo artist but i'm putting a band together to accompany me live.Live performances have to be done with a band. It's more professional and the artist has more freedom on stage. Better have a tight band ready for your playlist and a tight performance, and be able to play playback from time to time rather then not having it at all and just perform playback all the time."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: Do you think SOLO artists are shortchanging their craft and fans if they go the PLAYBACK route; or BILLS have to be payed by any means?
JPERRY: "The playback route is limited i think, and less professional as a main choice. I think having the option of picking both is best. Sometimes u can even mix playback and live band and dj. Once you reach a certain level it's not about the bills, it's about the quality of a show you offer. I myself have been performing playback for a while and i feel limited and as if if i keep the playback route i won't progress. So I'm making the band move for sure."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: Are you implying that once you make the BAND MOVE; you will retire from the PLAYBACK route? You will no longer accept PLAYBACK gigs?
No I will still have some playback gigs of course, but I will definitely have both options so that I can deliver a good show no matter what I'm not against playback. Im just saying u should be able to do both."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: Can an HMI solo artist make a living in the business just like the band leaders of the most popular BANDS in the business?
J PERRY: "Need a lot of hits. Well anything is possible. That'll depend on how successful that solo artist is."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: Lead singer of an active HMI band..GOOD or BAD idea to also have a solo career and SOLO GIGS? Is it a recipe for disaster or not?
J PERRY: "I don't think it's a bad idea if it's well thought of and well organized. Because if that artist has success everybody wins. Look at gwen stephany and "no doubt". Bob marley and the wailers. The secret is what ever keeps you and the band making money is what works. Its not a bad recipe if it is done properly and with complete loyalty. At the end of the day when u have a strong band it should be a big team. Everybody has to make money. It usually becomes a bad recipe when there's jealousy and selfishness.

Carimi has done it. Richard had his single with the girl carlos had his single and the band is still strong. Once ur strong as a team; nothing can stop you. We have to start looking at the big picture in the hmi and get together. Stop competing against each othe;r but bring the hmi level higher. Support other haitian artists. Support each other.

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: I BEG TO DIFFER in terms of CARIMI having SOLO CAREERS. Only Richard plays sometimes "solo"...and none of the 3 have a SOLO CD out.
J PERRY: "Not all of them ;but they've done solo projects. Maybe not solo cd."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: A lot of people DIG what you trying to do with the crossover; but r u worried about those who might think you are a SELLOUT...Because your songs can be seen as being closer to other types of music other than Haitian music?
J PERRY: "Not at alll! Those who would even come close to thinking i'm a sellout are small minded so i never worry about them. The type of music you make has nothing to do with where you come from. Music is a way of expressing yourself. Akon is african, he's a pop star. Rihanna is an island girl; she's a pop star. Pitbull is latin he's a dance/pop star. Iggy is Australian and She does hard rap. Belo is Haitian and he sings Reggae. At the end of the day it all comes down to representing where your from and that's being Haitian no matter what style of music I make or the language. Wherever i go in the world I'm Haitian therefore representing my flag, my country.

Artist who wanna do kompa is perfect, if u wanna do racine perfect, rap kreyol, reggae, house, who cares. U r who u r and represent where ur from no matter what craft you do. We have to stop thinking small as Haitians. There's a huge world out there."

KM!

JMPerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some might say my comments are biased but great interview. I think JPERRY has a lot of potential and one major thing he has in his corner which is also clear in the interview is the open minded approach. Just because we've done things a certain way for so long doesn't make it the "right" way to continue to do it. Proud of what he's accomplished and how far he's come to say the least and it's only the beginning. As a solo artist in the HMI, surrounding yourself with a solid, loyal and unconditional team is a huge key to the success or downfall of your career. There are some good points mentioned in the interview, specially about the band and playback scenario. You can have a HIT song as a solo artist but if you can't deliver in a live setting then you might as well have not released the song. I wish all of the HMI solo artists good luck and to play their cards wisely.

JMPerry

Mr Titanium

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"We have to start looking at the big picture in the hmi and get together. Stop competing against each othe;r but bring the hmi level higher. Support other haitian artists. Support each other", Nuf said my brother.....that's the only WE as a people will get ahead, le gen yonn ki rive se nou tout ki rive, let's stop competing and start completing

Mr Titanium

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

JMPerry wrote:
Some might say my comments are biased but great interview. I think JPERRY has a lot of potential and one major thing he has in his corner which is also clear in the interview is the open minded approach. Just because we've done things a certain way for so long doesn't make it the "right" way to continue to do it. Proud of what he's accomplished and how far he's come to say the least and it's only the beginning. As a solo artist in the HMI, surrounding yourself with a solid, loyal and unconditional team is a huge key to the success or downfall of your career. There are some good points mentioned in the interview, specially about the band and playback scenario. You can have a HIT song as a solo artist but if you can't deliver in a live setting then you might as well have not released the song. I wish all of the HMI solo artists good luck and to play their cards wisely.

JMPerry

Love his interview as well, m poko we yon artist nan HMI la ki pale konsa menm non...maybe paske misye pran pa ak gro artist etranje yo li ke se tet ansanm ki bay success, kraze yonn lot se detwi nap detwi tet pa nou ak tout sa Haiti represente tou...time for us to get behind each other and start pushing...let's goooooooo...this interview gets me PUMP,

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: