KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

DIRECTOR LUNER ON AFTERMATH OF GAZZMAN VIDEO CONTROVERSY!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: DIRECTOR LUNER ON AFTERMATH OF GAZZMAN VIDEO CONTROVERSY! Reply with quote Back to top

Music video director LUNER broke it down to us like this when we asked him if.....(Read Below)

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: Do you think that CROSS controversy HELPED or HURT the Gazzman POUKISA video?

LUNER: "I personally do not see how it can hurt Gazzman. Peoples views are different which is OK. I really do not know why people are so offended to the video. It is such an inspiration for many. The video shows DELIVERANCE, HOPE, AND NOT ALL WOMAN ARE BAD. JUST WHEN ONE WOMAN DOES NOT SHOW LOVE; ANOTHER ONE IS SHOWING COMPASSION.

I was able to explain the video at Infotropical Radio, after I was done, people called the station and quote, "Now I've heard from the Director, My views have changed." They actually can see the video now. The funny thing about the video is it's simple for most to understand. The interpretation I'm getting from different individuals is what makes the VIDEO interesting. It's nothing but a piece of Art.

Listening to Gazman's Intro, He DISQUALIFIES himself as God. He gave God the credit. I myself purposely cut and paste at the end, Bondieu pa Janm By PANE San se Cou" to show how He is lifting the name of God. If an Ethiest was upset with the video, I could understand...Except for one guy from the Radio that says, regardless of what i say, I should not play with the cross, but Like I told him, "Jesus Was not The First Person on the Cross".

I think most people are offended because Gazzman to them is not a GOSPEL SINGER. It's like he is not qualified to do it, but that's people. You just have to do what you like and believe. An artist needs to know that they need to make music for themselves, and not for people, and eventually you will find your crowd. When you as an individual within the arts you really can not please everyone. Because everyone has different views."

KM!

Haitian Sensation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I grew up christian, protestant... i love God and Jesus but I do not like religion... that being said too many of our people are so narrow minded.. yon bel video pou moune yo gin tout negativite sa yo.. its just foolishness!!

Gerdly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Say no more brother... Sak ka konprann, ya konprann. That's it...

puccino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pati kote gazmann sur la Croix an pa bon mesye,se paske nou renmen yonoun pou nou aveg konsa.bagay sa fe plus moun fache ak Gazmann pou rien cause se moun ki pa ba li bon konsey

DEntertainment

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. director with all due respect I think you've said enough trying to defend or justify your work behind that video and unfortunately that's not gonna take you anywhere because those of us who've rejected the cross scenes are not gonna change how we feel about it just like other people who don't find nothing wrong with it are always gonna stand behind it..Now what you can do for yourself is just move on and refrain yourself from talking nonsense so people don't think that you don't know what you're talking about because with that one sentence in your answers
Quote:
An artist needs to know that they need to make music for themselves, and not for people
they can easily put you in that category because it's totally the opposite Sir Artists do need to make music for the people, the public, the fans not for themselves because without the public there's no artist and that's why the public has the power to like or not like a product that an artist put out there..They are the consumers!

A little word of advice stop being so defensive about that video and look forward to the next project..Just next time use your best judgment to make the right call because it's clear that Gazzman talked you into doing the cross scenes but it wasn't necessary for the story line in this song!

LouisJeanBeauge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let’s face it. The video is all over the place.
If you have to explain a joke it’s either

a. Not funny
b. Or you audience has a different sense of humor than you.

For the thousands of people who will never get to see you explain it, they will continue to view just as such. They won’t get it. The disclaimer in the beginning of the video is unnecessary. As a director, you must know your audience and know their cultural predisposition. The idea of a cross is automatically ascribed to Christianity even if Jesus was not the first, last or only one to have died on a cross. The difference that the director must understand is that Jesus’ death means that an innocent man was killed unjustly. And quite frankly that’s what you’re portraying Gazzman. The crucifixion of Gazzman: The Innocent. So the same thing you expect people NOT TO view it as, is exactly the reason why you’re using this scene in the first place.

It’s a great idea but just terribly executed. I don’t see the point of the cross. It's unnecessary. And I’m not talking from a religious perspective. I don’t see the cross thing as offensive to Christianity. But don’t be mad or disappointed if people do. Staying with that theme, you could have shown Gazzman being sold as a slave and being bought by a female slave owner of whatever. The makeup, costume and acting in that scene are like wow…really dude? That’s as eloquent as I can be on that aspect. The images do not tell the story of the song at all. If I’m deaf and watch the video, I still won’t know what the song is about. If I show it one of my non-creole speaking friends, they won’t know what the song is about either.

Take the criticisms for what they are. A lot of them are very valid.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: