KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

NU LOOK: "I GOT THIS" KM OFFICIAL CD REVIEW!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: NU LOOK: "I GOT THIS" KM OFFICIAL CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

Here is the official KOMPA MAGAZINE song by song cd review for the NU LOOK "I Got this" CD.

*I AIN'T GOT NO WORRIES: The kickoff track off the cd. An uptempo banger that shows the Nu Look fans that Arly can handle it in the uptempo field if he adapts the song to his style of singing. An "US AGAINST THE WORLD" anthem in which Arly salutes his hardcore fans and thanks them for hanging with him through the good and bad times. He also lashes his frustrations out on the people he sees or perceives as "against the band or him". Arly insists that this is not a track tackling the HMI media ....but he can't fool anybody on this one. (LOL)

The MOST IMPORTANT thing about this one is this track is siiiiick as in very good in the groove department, and the chorus is extremely catchy. When Laporte takes over with his NU Look "signature" guitar sound...you are in compas direct Nu Look heaven, and if your body does not move...you have a problem. A great track to kick off the cd....hopefully it does not turn off some "anti-Arly" factions. I actually can't get enough of this track...even though maestro a ap voye dlo tout kote. (Lol). LIVE this track is going to do damage.

*WHAT ABOUT TOMORROW: This is the track that I immediately predicted would become a MEGA HIT as soon as I heard it before the cd was released. It has all the Nu Look "compas love" songs formula for success. As soon as you hear it YOU KNOW AND CAN TELL IT'S NU LOOK. That's called a SIGNATURE SOUND. One of the things that has always made Arly's love songs stand out above a lot of the ones that are out there is his STRONG LYRICS; and this one does not disappoint. The ENGLISH CHORUS (An Arly formula going way back) is back in the fold again. There's a huge SIWEL keyboard that guides the groove of the song at the bottom of the entire track that is addictive as well. It's been a few weeks since the cd/song has been out, and I still am predicting that THIS SONG WILL BE A MEGA HIT.

*TECHNO ADDICTES: I have to be honest and say that at first, this was one of the songs that got the least attention from me when the cd and songs were sent to me. Having said that, after taking time to listen to the important message inside the song (About how we've become slaves to technology/gadgets and forgotten ourselves as human beings), and also the music that accompanies it, I have a newfound appreciation for this track.

The fact that this song was put in the important 3rd track on the cd "spot"; that shows you how important it was to Arly to get this message across. I can't say that I've heard that message treated in any songs that I've heard before in the compas genre...I might be wrong. This might be a song that is there FOR THE CD; but I find it hard to believe that it will surpass some of the other songs on the CD in terms of the LIVE setting. If NU LOOK plays it LIVE often, I will be very surprised. A solid song with a great message for everyone...original in it's lyrics/content.

*CONFESSION:When Arly invited me to come over to his home to come and help him decide with Ti Regi Djakout which 2 singles to release on the market BEFORE the cd came out; THIS was one of the songs that I suggested. He told me that he wanted to HOLD ON TO THIS ONE until the cd came out because he felt that it would be his "A QUI LA FAUTE" from this cd. He is right and it is good to see that great minds think alike. THIS IS ACTUALLY MY FAVORITE SONG FROM THE CD. I predict that this song will do big things. I would not be surprised if it actually outshines the song "What about tmrw". This is pure ARLY LARIVIERE and it perfectly showcases why this guy is simply one of the best that we have in the business in terms of composer/producer/vocalist.

Arly and NU LOOK score big on this one and MOUN KI JWEN SHOUTOUT SOU MIZIK SA...(FKD...Alexandre Jwen); it will remain implanted in people's minds much in the same way that TOUCHEM DOUS/PAZ and COUNTRY got in the song "Souvenir". This song is a MASTERPIECE...and I am very tempted to say that it MIGHT become my favorite Lariviere song ahead of "Souvenir". (Let's wait and see on that one)

KONFYE AK MEFYANS: This is the song that TI REGI DJAKOUT predicted to Arly and I would become a huge hit on the cd when he INSISTED that it be one of the 2 songs released to the world before the cd came out. This is a strong topic about "TRUST" whether it be among friends or Love....but having said that, you get the feeling that this is MORE PERSONAL in terms of the FRIENDSHIP department for the maestro. AK KIYES ARLY AP PALE LA....(Lol). GIN SAK FACHEEEEEEEEEEE (Apa Arly se Comedien tou...LOL). His band reps in Haiti, Montreal, Boston, and New York get a great shoutout that seems like it's part of the song...Lariviere classic; and the words "SI MINM LONBRAJ OU TRAYI OU NAN FE NWA...SA PA DWE ETONE'W...LE YON ZANMI DESERTE'W" (Those are strong words). This is yet another song that will be one of the strongest from the cd in terms of reception from the fans. This song once again is DEEP IN LYRICS and very rich musically. One of my favorites on the cd.

LA VIE A DEUX: A duet with popular Zouk star Tanya St. Val is an indication to how far high the ladder that Arly has gone up in the "star" department in terms of his branding. Relationship song in which couple talk about the recipe for success is COMMUNICATION. Some in the Haitian market might not agree with me on this one; but in terms of marketing and expanding his "SOLO" brand in the Antilles/French market; this is the most important song that deserves a music video from this cd if Arly has eyes on that very lucrative market.

What many HMI bands fail to understand is that once you have the Antilles market on lock, it can hold you while or if your band is struggling in the HMI....TABOU and others can back up what I am saying here. ARLY More than held his own here singing with the Zouk icon Tanya...LI PA FE'M HONTE. (Lol). A nice song indeed that might be the most important one on the cd for Arly Lariviere...for many reasons.

MOTIVATION: This will be one of the songs that the hardcore compas direct fans of Nu Look will appreciate the most because it has that compas direct flavor usually associated with the "old" Nu Look...the type of song that Gazzman would sing when he was in the band. After getting used to Arly's voice on this type of track, you will get "NU LOOK", the compas direct band. Again another strong message song accompanied by great music to help you digest it faster.

The siwel keyboard from this track is made for the club scene and the radios blasting compass direct. This is another example that SON NU LOOK LA...SE NAN MIN ARLY LI YE...as well as the GUITAR SOUND...SE NAN MIN LAPORTE LI YE. Old Nu Look hardcore compas direct fans will love this one a lot. 2/3 Bel shoutout "Bien chita" on this one as well such as "JUNIOR PORT DE PAIX....BAZ". This WILL become a BAL and RADIO favorite off this cd.

NOS INDIFFERENCES: One of the most beautiful songs off the cd. This one is simply a "gem" of a track. What will however be the signature of this track...KE TOUT MOUN AP PLUS SONJE SOU MIZIK SA is that "SYMPHONY" keyboard solo break before Laporte goes into that guitar part. This is another relationship song that talks about both sides of a relationship have to make concessions in order to make a relationship work. They must learn to meet halfway in order to co-exist. STRONG MESSAGE. This is what I call a "MUSIC" song...TRES BON MUSICALMENT and can become a favorite on the commercial side as well. I think it is one of Arly's best vocals on the cd as well.

TRIP MAP TRIP: Another COMPAS DIRECT UPTEMPO track to satisfy the hardcore Compas direct Nu Look fans. That part "POTE CRYSTAL" pral mache anpil in the party/bal scene when they play it LIVE. Laporte goes off on the guitar with this one.

LAME SOEUR: Arly explores a part never before exposed to the public in a musical sense. This is not what you would call a commercial track; but it grabs you by the collar nevertheless. Another pleasant and different surprise on this one is that ARLY PAP PLINYIN on this one. HE IS "IN LOVE" WITH LOVE as he is preaching about LOVE and how good it is. The female chorus on this one is excellent. That keyboard solo along with the slow groove is OUTSTANDING. "CRY BABY LARIVIERE" PRAN YON BREAK NAN MIZIK SA and says that because of love he is "TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED".

In my opinion...THIS IS ARLY LARIVIERE's BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE ON THE CD. I loooooooooove this song.....but MWEN SUSPEK ARLY PAP OKUPE'L "Live" when Nu Look plays....which in my opinion would be a mistake. The fact that ARLY dropped it in the number 10 spot...1 Song before the end of the cd....I hope that is not an indication that Arly pap bay mizik la inportans....much the same mistake that Zenglen had done with "Dance in the Dark". MAESTRO....MWEN TA SWETE KE I'M WRONG ON THIS ONE. ANMWEYYYYY...GADE'W MIZIK!!!!!!!!!!!! ANMWEY ANKO!!!!!!!!!! Maybe "CRYBABY LARIVIERE" should drop 1 "HAPPY WITH LOVE" song on every cd. SHOUTOUT on this song to PIERRE S. ABRAHAM as the co-writer of this track.

*BUSTED: This song shows another great "risk" by Arly that I believe has excellent results. It also shows that the artist is HIP AND DOWN WITH THE YOUNG/HIP CROWD. (Lol). KIZOMBA styleeeeee. Credit must go to TI HAROLD on this one as the CO- composer of the track; even though Arly wrote the lyrics. THIS WOULD MAKE A GREAT MUSIC VIDEO due to the storyline. P-JAY delivers in his cameo here as well.

*PERSONAL FAVORITES: My personal favorites on the cd are CONFESSIONS, L'AME SOEUR, NOS INDIFFERENCES, KONFYE AK MEFYANS. Those from a PERSONAL TASTE are the ones that I prefer. MWEN PA DI LOT MIZIK YO PA BON OU BEL NON...SE SA MWEN CITE ANLE YO KI RIVE SOU MWEN PLUS.

*HIT SONG POTENTIAL: I am SHOCKED and totally at a loss for words that some people are out there saying that yo poko we hit la. If my instincts are correct, you can expect "WHAT ABOUT TMRW" to become a mega hit. I also see HIT POTENTIAL for the songs "CONFESSIONS", "I AIN'T GOT NO WORRIES", "KONFYE AK MEFYANS", and "NOS INDIFFERENCES". In the Antilles market, I also would NOT sleep on "LA VIE A DEUX". If I add "BUSTED"...YAP DI MWEN FOU...so I won't say it about that song...but it does have its market.

*ARLY ON UPTEMPO TRACKS: There seems to be a worry that Arly Lariviere won't be able to deliver the uptempo songs LIVE. I haven't seen him perform the uptempo songs LIVE yet; but based on what I saw at rehearsal (Videos on KM's YOUTUBE Channel), and based on the uptempo songs that he carefully crafted to suit him, I would not have any worries at all. LIVE...Guys like RORO and CHANNEL should help out in the animation/Hype department.

*WORRIES: We are used to just getting 2/3 Arly Lariviere tracks on a NU LOOK CD that the fans actually get the time to DIGEST and enjoy the songs, which in turn gives the songs the pleasure of being payed attention to. On this CD, there are so many good songs sung by Arly that I KNOW FOR A FACT that there will be a couple of songs on there that will suffer from too many good songs being on the cd. GIN 2/3 MIZIK KAP PRAN FRAP...POU TET LOT MIZIK KI SOU PLAK LA...and to be honest, that is totally unfair.

*OBSERVATION:: LET'S KEEP IT REAL UP IN HERE and tell you the RAW FACTS. ARLY LARIVIERE "brilliantly" managed to disguise a HALF ARLY LARIVIERE SOLO and a HALF NU LOOK CD together and made it into a NU LOOK CD without ruffing any feathers. Songs like "La Vie a Deux" and "Busted"; and to a certain extent "L'AME SOEUR" probably would NEVER have made it onto a REGULAR Nu Look cd. But to understand what he did, you have to understand how he went about it. Those songs are added in there to EXPAND and SELL the ARLY LARIVIERE brand in other markets; along with the fact that FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER on a NU LOOK CD...."ONLY" ARLY LARIVIERE appears on the cover. That has never happened before.

Arly was also smart enough to LOUDLY declare that he is committed to THE BAND NU LOOK because that is what brought ARLY LARIVIERE, which also explains that despite the fact that he is the only one on the cover, the NAME ON THE CD is "NU LOOK" only...and NOT Arly Lariviere and Nu Look. LI TE KA FE SA AND HE WOULD HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO...BUT HE DID NOT. A master stroke of a move SAN LI PA DERANJE PESON'N....including his 2 brands ARLY & NU LOOK.

*FINAL WORD: This in my opinion is the MOST COMPLETE, MUSICALLY RICH in terms of diversity CD that NU LOOK has ever done. Some Hardcore COMPAS FANS "might" say that they prefer one of the previous CDs that NU Look has, but NO MUSIC FAN in their right mind will say without a doubt that this CD is not an excellent piece of work. THIS CD WILL DO FOR ARLY LARIVIERE what HAPPY 50 DID FOR RICHIE in terms of showing a more complete and mature side of the artist/producer.

Arly had more freedom to do what he wanted musically on this cd and it shows. If you did not know now you do as THIS CD CONFIRMS TO THE WORLD THAT ARLY LARIVIERE IS ONE OF OUR MUSICAL GENIUSES and we don't have too many of those. With this cd, ARLY LARIVIERE has taken a giant step/leap in terms of a music producer....MOUN KI JUS AP CHACHE MIZIK POU YO DANSE NAN BAL seulement..PAP KONPRAN SA MAP DI AN LA; but those music fans who understand that the business is not just about "MUSIC POU BALS"...will understand fully what I am talking about. LARIVIERE DELIVRE "BIG TIME" in my opinion on this CD....and this is coming from a HUGE FAN OF NU LOOK's music...me KOMPApat. CHAPO BA MAESTRO....YOU'VE PROVEN TO us that "U GOT THIS"! I haven't stopped playing and blasting this cd in my car stereo ever since I put my hands on it.

KM!

joudre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MANMAN BEF!!!

GAD'ON REVIEW??

(Notre pere qui es aux cieux.. que ton nom soit sanctifier, k'ton reigne vienne et k'ta volonte soit faite sur la terre comme au ciel) Laughing Laughing

M'santi Patrick pran tan li, pran san li pou'l lage denye model review saa..

m'pa cheche yon ti bagay pou'm kritike nan review an.. m'pa ka jwenn.. SA ENEVE'M ANPIL Laughing Laughing

PI GWO ERREUR ARLY LARIVIERE FE NAN KAWRYE LI.. se mete li mete twop bon mizik sou CD sa..
SA YON TI JAN CONFUSE MOUN YO..
imajine'w si'w retire "NOS INDIFFERENCES" ak "L'AME SOEUR".. tout moun tap focus immediatement sou "CONFESSIONS"..
Men le fait que moun yo pa konn ki yes pou yo chwazi ant "NOS INDIFFERENCES" ak "CONFESSIONS" diminuer sou impact instantane mizik yo..

MWEN RETE KWE KE.. A LONG TERM.. L'AP BENEFISYE NU LOOK..

I ALMOST FEEL BAD TO SAY THAT I LIKE A SONG BETTER THAN THE OTHER..

CHAK GRENN MIZIK KI SOU ALBUM SA... KAPAB MEGA HIT NAN NENPOT KEL LOT ALBUM NAN HMI LA..

SE SA KI DIFERANSYE ARLY LARIVIERE AK TOUT REST YO... MISYEU PRODUIT "ABOVE THE STANDARDS"...

GREAT REVIEW.. I WILL CONTINUE TO READ IT OVER AND OVER.. SO I CAN FIND SOMETHING TO TACKLE.. Laughing Laughing

IsaacKompa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great review, KMPat!
The reason a lot of people are saying "yo poko we hit" ki sou album lan se paske gen trop bel mizik wi so lap pran yon ti tan, but in due time ap gen plizye hits ak megahits sou album lan.
Good job Arly/Nulook and thanks for the review Pat!

Ernst

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NU LOOK: "I GOT THIS" KM OFFICIAL CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

Great piece Pat as usual. Arly is master on his own right. The dude knows what his doing. I think this a solid CD not a great one. The CD is about 3 weeks old and no track is emerge as the undisputed hit/megahit yet. Maybe, something is missing, Just maybe. However, I think songs like Confession/nos indiferences(my favorites) have the potential to become HITS. Time will tell.

joudre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

IsaacKompa wrote:
Great review, KMPat!
The reason a lot of people are saying "yo poko we hit" ki sou album lan se paske gen trop bel mizik wi so lap pran yon ti tan, but in due time ap gen plizye hits ak megahits sou album lan.

Review sa deklare:QUE LA PAIX SOIT SUR KM POUR LES 4 ANNEES QUI VIENNENT Laughing Laughing

YO TE VOYE RELE'M NAN LOT POST YO.. ME VOICI!!

WHERE ARE YOU NOW??? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?? Laughing Laughing

Haitian Sensation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

joudre wrote:
MANMAN BEF!!!

GAD'ON REVIEW??

(Notre pere qui es aux cieux.. que ton nom soit sanctifier, k'ton reigne vienne et k'ta volonte soit faite sur la terre comme au ciel) Laughing Laughing

m'pa cheche yon ti bagay pou'm kritike nan review an.. m'pa ka jwenn.. SA ENEVE'M ANPIL Laughing Laughing

PI GWO ERREUR ARLY LARIVIERE FE NAN KAWRYE LI.. se mete li mete twop bon mizik sou CD sa..
imajine'w si'w retire "NOS INDIFFERENCES" ak "L'AME SOEUR".. tout moun tap focus immediatement sou "CONFESSIONS"..
Men le fait que moun yo pa konn ki yes pou yo chwazi ant "NOS INDIFFERENCES" ak "CONFESSIONS" diminuer sou impact instantane mizik yo..

CHAK GRENN MIZIK KI SOU ALBUM SA... KAPAB MEGA HIT NAN NENPOT KEL LOT ALBUM NAN HMI LA..

SE SA KI DIFERANSYE ARLY LARIVIERE AK TOUT REST YO... MISYEU PRODUIT "ABOVE THE STANDARDS"...

GREAT REVIEW.. I WILL CONTINUE TO READ IT OVER AND OVER.. SO I CAN FIND SOMETHING TO TACKLE.. Laughing Laughing

You kind of right...Not sure which song to pick as a Hit. Too many. This is why I say our Hmi bands should come out with a CD only every 2years max. with about 6 to 8 solid tracks.

androdro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

La vérité est comme le soleil.Elle fait tout voir et ne se laisse pas regarder.

Pat mèsi pou bel review sa ou moutre tout moun ke se pa pou sa rezon ou se yon referans nan Bagay ki rele bay sa ou panse ki pozitif.

Mwen konnen kote Arly ye la Li kontan paske Li we yon moun tankou w apresye Travay Li sot fè a !

Si yon neg tankou w ki gen tout pase sa nan Mizik la fè yon review konsa Mwen panse neg ki te gen opinyon diferans yo a de album nan ta sipoze re tande album nan anko pou yo ka rive nan nivo kote ou ye a!!

Se pa pou San rezon ki fè m te vini ak panse victor Hugo a!!

RICKY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

IsaacKompa wrote:
Great review, KMPat!

You hit the nail right on the head.. yo telman jwen yo confuse Laughing

review sa di pa gin filler se HIT sou HIT.

se konsa gwo djaz fe lobey

androdro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

joudre wrote:
MANMAN BEF!!!

GAD'ON REVIEW??

Arly Lariviere embellit les lieux où on l'entend!!

androdro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

RICKY wrote:
IsaacKompa wrote:
Great review, KMPat!

You hit the nail right on the head.. yo telman jwen yo confuse Laughing

review sa di pa gin filler se HIT sou HIT.

se konsa gwo djaz fe lobey

Si yo te di w bay album nan yon lot non kijan ou t ap rele l?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: