KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

DOLA MIZIK: THE OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW NY TIME!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: DOLA MIZIK: THE OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW NY TIME! Reply with quote Back to top

1) NEW YORK TIME: Uptempo number to kick off the cd. Good one to get the party going. Solid music which they can use to hype up the crowd at bals. The keyboard at the 1:30 mark before the "Djazz sa se yon jazz 10 million moun" remark spices it up good. The NEW YORK..NEW YORK NEW YORK chorus is also good. The guitar at the 4:00 mark is uplifting..LOVE IT. Having said all that, the song has TOO MUCH GOING ON AT TIMES, and it sometimes feels like a NYC train going too fast on a track with no breaks. If the idea was to get fans all hyped up to get going for the rest of the cd, the job is done. This debut song gets you in a festive mood for sure. Will wake your ass u for sure from that bed in the morning as well. (lol)...NY...NY NY.

2) SHOW ME THE WAY: What caught my attention from the word GO was the background vocals on this track....AWESOME. Very very catchy. The lead vocals on this track seem a bit too DRY (SEC) and not MELODIOUS enough to flow along with the smoothness of the background music/vocals as I listen to it. (Heard the track several times) Not sure if that was the way the maestro wanted it....but.... The background vocals if translated all in English could easily transport you to 90's R&B classics. You almost wish that the chorus/background vocals would have been the bulk of this track, and also makes you wonder how the complete product would sound like if another singer with a more MELODIOUS FLOW had sung this one. Having said that, if the background vocals/chorus stays in my brain, the job is done. This song does STILL do the job big time in terms of getting the music across as a potential game changer on the cd. BACKGROUND VOCALS and CHORUS are the STARS/MAIN EVENT for me on this track.

3) PA KRITIKE: I loooooooooooooooooooooove this song. This is simply one of the best songs that I've heard from Jean Max Valcourt with Dola. This song is simply one that sticks to the heart and is also the one that kept me rewinding the cd over and over again. Jean Max uses the effects on the vocals JUST RIGHT on this one, and the part where he cries out "WOYY BON DIEU...WOYY BON DIEU..BANM MWEN KOURAJ POU'M REZISTE ANBA MECHANTS YO" I see music video all over this one, but I suspect the band will ignore it and let it to fight for itself on the cd. DOLA MIZIK grabbed me by the collar on this one with this track.

4) PLAYER NO MORE: This is the song that is screaming to the radio announcers to put it on their rotations. Very commercial/catchy. Well crafted track with a chorus that easily sticks to your brains.

5) U MY BABY: This track is different in a very very good way. I can see this one going somewhere if well marketed. This is the type of song that fits POLO as he does a MAGNIFICENT JOB in the vocal department with this one. The rap by BOBBY JAM just puts icing on the cake. The group should have released a music video at exactly the same time as the song release. I am loving this track big time. I can also imagine with the lyrics and the title of the track, a lot of people will be able to relate to that one very easily. Now I can understand why this song was released as the first single.

6) VOYE KONPA PIWO: This would be what you would call the typical SHOUT OUT song to the media that we tend to find on many Compas albums today. Dola accomplishes their salute on this nearly 6 minute Compas uptempo workout. Having said that, the song is actually very infectious in terms of the music. I loved the ROCK GUITAR on this track. As a matter of fact, ALL THE GUITARS ON THIS TRACK ARE SICK. The line by Clinton "SE MWEN CLINTON BENOIT WI...POU BEL HISTWA" and the "SA SE YON COMPAS 10 MILLIONS HABITANTS" add to the song. Very cool uptempo song, but I don't really know if this song will stand out from the rest of the tracks on this cd.

7) LEVE KO'W: Good solid song with a nice dose of compas. A Music lover's track. The MUSIC doesn't really start showcasing itself until the 2:00 minute mark. The guitar towards the end at the 3:50 mark is guitar lovers heaven. This is another track that POLO delivers extremely well on. One of my favorites on the cd.

Cool JUST WANNA B WITH U - Leader Jean Max Valcourt leads the way on this one (His second compas love sung track on the cd). Right off the bat, the chorus is extremely catchy...easy for fans to digest/learn. Radio and video friendly in terms of time at only 4:32 seconds, which makes it easier if they want to push this in other markets. HIT POTENTIAL ALERT with a CAPITAL "H".

9) LANMOU MIZIK - What an intro....Jazzy and different with the chorus. Sunday Morning "feel" piano. I see the maestro willing to push the envelope here by doing things that are not considered the "norm" or usual by the compas establishment. I like that. I love this song so much because of it's originality. I don't expect the commercial typical Haitian market to accept this track, but the pure music lovers, as well as the Zouk market will embrace this one...and it is NOT a "zoukish" song either. The background vocal arrangements on this track is also top of the line. WOW. If you are not a GREAT MUSIC LOVER, I don't expect you to understand why I am raving about this track. The musical genius of Jean Max shines brightly on this one.

10) ANPIL BEL MOUN: Mayi moulin keyboard and song...with a magical commercial appeal, as well as a very popular "saying" when it comes to HMI BAL TALK. When people want to express that a party was top of the line, they usually say "ANPIL BEL MOUN". If pushed properly, this song can become a major major hit at bals and on the radio. MAJOR HIT POTENTIAL. At the 4:30 mark, they go into the COUPE CLOUE formula when PIPO comes in and does his thing by talking over the song. (Hilarious). ANMWEYYYYYY. This song should have been HIGHER on the cd song placement.

11) WAKE UP: Uptempo workout that Dola fans are used to. Another solid track on the group's menu which also displays how the 2 singers can work well on a track.

12) PARTY TIME: This is a previous release that I thought was going to do a lot for the band, and while it did do something to elevate the group's visibility, the fact that they did not have enough gigs to support this song, in my opinion hurt the track. BOBBY JAM adds that extra hot sauce/pikliz to this tune, which gives it it's N.Y ATTITUDE. I think it is one of the group's best tracks so far in their library, and the live performance of this track also does the song justice. STILL ONE OF MY FAVORITE DOLA MIZIK TRACKS even after this re-boot/remix.

*JEAN MAX VALCOURT has once again raised his HMI stock as a studio producer. We and a lot of people already knew that he was a bad ass producer, but this cd confirms it once again. Now, he has to make this album work on the LIVE circuit in order for the group to "matter" on the club scene. It's up to the fans for the next step, as well as DOLA to aggressively continue the work as this journey has just begun.

*A little bit puzzled as it seems as if CLINTON has been classified by the maestro as a pure HYPE MAN on this cd, but I can recall him not doing too bad in the love songs department in the past...so why go away from that?

*FAVORITES: In no particular order "ANPIL BEL MOUN", "JUST WANNA BE WITH YOU", U MY BABY", "PLAYER NO MORE", "SHOW ME THE WAY", and "PA KRITIKE" are the ones that I see as the commercial tracks ready to jump off the airwaves the quickest. With the first one READY for BOTH LIVE and STUDIO success.

DOLA MIZIK GIN BAGAY NAN MIN LI.........! They become the first band to fire their ammo for this Summer. I really love this cd. BRAVO.

Kompa Love

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks KM! Got it from iTunes this am... very happy so far! Smile

Natif-natal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes mwen gen cd a, nan tout album ki soti yo ,oui mwen ka di pa dola ret kole nan machine mwen li pa janm vle soti,sa se yon bel albom,map tann pèfomans live jazz la poum vin fè yon ti lache sentim.

DONCUE_69

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WORTH TO PICK THIS UP ASAP
thx for the review

[/b]

Jay Brooklyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the review....
Dola pa janm gen pwoblem mizik...
CD saa pral fe anpil dega....
now it's up to management to make that CD reach the melomanes and fe yo we jazz la....
mwen te toujou di ke'm pa vle ni twaka pyas, ni goud eka, se banm dola'm, jazz la banm yon bel dola tou neuf...
I am stuck on the CD...
koulieya, DOLA, fe yo we'w...

Haitian Diva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the review, now i wanna go get a copy of the cd!! Hopefully Dola makes it this time with this album......

yef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great review as usual Pat.

I gotta tell you, out of all the recent album releases, Dola has the best. And if you consider the ones released last year, Dola still can hold its own.

Songs that are HEAVILY in rotation in my car right now:

Shocked Show me the way
Shocked Just wanna be with you.

These two songs are not even the best tracks on the album. However, I'm stuck on them: you can't produce awesome tracks like these unless you're smoking some inspiration! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Any music lover NEEDs this album!!
Great job all around!

-Fabrice Rouzier

Last edited by yef on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

diasporadyol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

no dyol to talk

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belfam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have not been able to put that cd down ever since I got it
Loveeeeeee it my favs are just want to b w u show me the way
And party time mwen anvi Danse on to Dola real bad
I made a mistake of listening to Dola b4 I listen to
Singles out there paske yo paret razzzz
Great job Dola thank you for the breath of fresh air

FANMKONESE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Its a very nice album....Now Dola needs to make and shake itself to take it to the next level......

--Winston Churchill

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: