KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

If God Knows the Future, what is free will?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: If God Knows the Future, what is free will? Reply with quote Back to top

As christian, as wrestle with these things a lot.
No matter how you look at it, god already knows who's going to go to hell or paradise before you were even born.
Can that be change?
Please don't be radical on this one.
Whatever your religious beliefs are, we just want a healthy discussion.

zipgenel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

good question...

It's like you have a 5 year old son.. tells you that he feels like eating something...
you get an apple in your right hand, and a big mac in the left hand.. and you present both items to him.. and you tell him it's his choice...

1- AS THE PARENT.. you already know what the kid is going to choose... you could've just say.. here is a big mac..

2- EVEN THOUGH YOU KNOW that the apple is what you really want him to eat.. BUT STILL you let him chose his big mac..

SO, this above is a situation that you could control from start to finish.. BUT YET.. you step back and let the kid develop it even though you alreday know how it's gonna end...

GOD is GOD.. as a christian you should not struggle with such question because at the end of the day.. you know what God wants you to do so you can avoid HELL or whatever the call it..
it's impossible to be a perfect soul.. for sin is of our nature... HOWEVER, God just wants you to try to live a good life...

dalida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zipgenel wrote:
good question...

It's like you have a 5 year old son.. tells you that he feels like eating something...
you get an apple in your right hand, and a big mac in the left hand.. and you present both items to him.. and you tell him it's his choice...

1- AS THE PARENT.. you already know what the kid is going to choose... you could've just say.. here is a big mac..

2- EVEN THOUGH YOU KNOW that the apple is what you really want him to eat.. BUT STILL you let him chose his big mac..

SO, this above is a situation that you could control from start to finish.. BUT YET.. you step back and let the kid develop it even though you alreday know how it's gonna end...

GOD is GOD.. as a christian you should not struggle with such question because at the end of the day.. you know what God wants you to do so you can avoid HELL or whatever the call it..
it's impossible to be a perfect soul.. for sin is of our nature... HOWEVER, God just wants you to try to live a good life...

Here is what i have a problem with, if God knows what i'm going to be at the end i'm already that depi nan vant manmanm. for exemple. You say god wants us to do good, but he already know what's going to happen to you before you were even born. Let me give you an example. Two Babies aren't even born yet, God said he loves on and hate the other. To me that baby neverhad chance.

You see where i'm coming from.

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

God loves one and hates the other?

God hates people?

There are a lot of things in the bible that people struggle with,including myself.

What you are talking about here is the concept of predestination. It's the belief that some people are predestined to be saved while others are predestined to be lost.

People always bring up that argument when comparing Judas to Peter. Jesus knew that Judas would betray him. And he also knew that Peter would eventually be the head of the church, even though he had a lot of faults and even denied Jesus all together.

It would seem that these two apostles were both predestined for two very different paths.

But there is no such thing as predestination. We choose our own destination. God happens to know the destiny we will choose, because he is omniscient.

yes there is choice even though God knows the future.

Because God knows the future he knows what you will choose. But the choice is still left to you to make.

You are still presented with that choice.

So Judas was not dealt a bad hand from God from the beginning. It can even be argued that Jesus was maybe trying to influence Judas to make another choice, by revealing his knowledge of Judas'plans.

dalida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SIROMYEL wrote:
God loves one and hates the other?

God hates people?

There are a lot of things in the bible that people struggle with,including myself.

What you are talking about here is the concept of predestination. It's the belief that some people are predestined to be saved while others are predestined to be lost.

People always bring up that argument when comparing Judas to Peter. Jesus knew that Judas would betray him. And he also knew that Peter would eventually be the head of the church, even though he had a lot of faults and even denied Jesus all together.

It would seem that these two apostles were both predestined for two very different paths.

But there is no such thing as predestination. We choose our own destination. God happens to know the destiny we will choose, because he is omniscient.

yes there is choice even though God knows the future.

Because God knows the future he knows what you will choose. But the choice is still left to you to make.

You are still presented with that choice.

So Judas was not dealt a bad hand from God from the beginning. It can even be argued that Jesus was maybe trying to influence Judas to make another choice, by revealing his knowledge of Judas'plans.

My point is, if God already knows what i'm going to be before i was even born, i'm not sure if i could be anything else. That's what i struggle with.

Quote:
God hates people?

This is what Romain 9v12 says: If fut dit a Rebecca: L'aine sera assujetti au plus jeune: selon it est ecrit:v13 Jai aime Jacob et j'ai hai esau. If you go to v 18 it says: il fait misericorde a qui il veut et endurcit qui il veut.

I'm sure you know God said he hated Esau and Love Jacob before they were even born. I don't know if you can do much if god hate you before you were even born.

princessj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi...
I'm personally not going to delve into scripture because I feel that's something like indoctrination when someone stoically repeats a theology which has been drummed into their psyche with a steady tempo from childhood on. So specific religious beliefs aside, I think that unless one adamantly believes in predestination then life is simply a serious of choices we make which result in the legacy of who we were once we pass on and the being we have the potentiality of becoming. This really is a general summary of what I've come to accept over the years not just through doctrine and warring versions of God, but from observing human behavior after its influence or lack thereof.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
owen1055

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is one the biggest thing I struggle with the bible among the many things that I find not logical. I understand that religion is about faith and not about logic. Since it is one of those things that I cannot afford to be wrong about, I try my best to follow every single word..

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: