KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

Debt ceiling talks...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daphnee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Debt ceiling talks... Reply with quote Back to top

I won't lie...I'm not too well versed on this topic. I just know that the president is going back and forth with the Republicans. John Boehner can't get support from the tea party backed candidates and something about the US going into default and mortgage rates, interest rates, and no SS checks will be sent out if an agreement isn't reached. Are any of you concerned? I believe I heard that this is the first president that is having this much difficutly raising the debt ceiling in the past couple of years.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jeanVALjean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

While the national debt current at 14 trillion is unsustainable, the battle being waged in Washington is NOT about debt or deficit reduction-NEVER has been. The GOP, more specifically the Tea Party, is on an ideological battle about the role, size, and scope of government. It is being led behind the scenes by Grover Norquist who made all Tea Partiers sign an anti-tax pledge.

This is also about denying Obama policy "victories" even it means stunted growth, job losses and a more dire economy. Minority leader Mitch McConnell said his #1 priority is not jobs, economic recovery, national security, but to defeat Obama by all means necessary.

Obama to his credit (and to the consternation of liberals) proposed legislation which would have decreased the debt from 14 to 10 Trillion dollars in 10 years through a combination of spending cuts, entitlement reform and MINOR tax increases. It was shut down by Tea Partiers because of the tax increases part even though Boehner strongly backed it and economists (left and right) pretty much unanimously agree that a balanced approach is the only way to resolve the issue. In politics, it's better to have an issue to run on then to actually resolve the issue!

What the GOP has figured out is that no matter how much they muddy the waters or what happens to the economy either the president or "Washington" or "both sides" will be blamed-and not them directly (Paul Krugman also makes this point). The media also are complicit in this game by going with this "Washington" meme rather than putting the blame squarely on whom it belongs. It's ashame really to have airhead politicians in safe voting districts put this country in further jeopardy purely because of ideology and politics.

Here's Krugman's article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/opinion/krugman-the-centrist-cop-out.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

daphnee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jeanVALjean wrote:
While the national debt current at 14 trillion is unsustainable, the battle being waged in Washington is NOT about debt or deficit reduction-NEVER has been. The GOP, more specifically the Tea Party, is on an ideological battle about the role, size, and scope of government. It is being led behind the scenes by Grover Norquist who made all Tea Partiers sign an anti-tax pledge.

This is also about denying Obama policy "victories" even it means stunted growth, job losses and a more dire economy. Minority leader Mitch McConnell said his #1 priority is not jobs, economic recovery, national security, but to defeat Obama by all means necessary.

Obama to his credit (and to the consternation of liberals) proposed legislation which would have decreased the debt from 14 to 10 Trillion dollars in 10 years through a combination of spending cuts, entitlement reform and MINOR tax increases. It was shut down by Tea Partiers because of the tax increases part even though Boehner strongly backed it and economists (left and right) pretty much unanimously agree that a balanced approach is the only way to resolve the issue. In politics, it's better to have an issue to run on then to actually resolve the issue!

What the GOP has figured out is that no matter how much they muddy the waters or what happens to the economy either the president or "Washington" will be blamed-and not them directly (Paul Krugman also makes this point). The media also are complicit in this game by going with this "Washington" meme rather than putting the blame squarely on whom it belongs. It's ashame really to have airhead politicians in safe voting districts put this country in further jeopardy purely because of ideology and politics.

Here's Krugman's article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/opinion/krugman-the-centrist-cop-out.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

JVJ..thank you...btw did you see the NYT article with the graphic of Obama's expenses during his term on Bush's Shocked I even heard that one senator or representattive called PELL grants "welfare"..smh

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jeanVALjean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

daphnee wrote:

JVJ..thank you...btw did you see the NYT article with the graphic of Obama's expenses during his term on Bush's Shocked I even heard that one senator or representattive called PELL grants "welfare"..smh

NP
Link?

daphnee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jeanVALjean wrote:
daphnee wrote:

NP
Link?

m paka fel nan travay la kounye a..I'll try on the flipside Cool

owen1055

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone who believes the fight in Washington is just about raising the debt ceiling is bling. Every single politicians understand that spending is out of control, but the debate who should suffer more when it comes to cuts.
The far right wing of the republican party want to cut all the programs that benefits mostly the poor and minority groups. Democrats on the other hand want tax increase and reform.

The demographic of this country is changing rapidly and causing fear to the people who have been in power. The fight is no longer about slavery or skin color, it is now more about social economic groups. Unfortunately blacks, hispanics, and uneducated white people fall into that category. The far right wing of the republican party are made up mostly of people who fear that their slice of the pie is getting smaller. The democrats on the other hand rely on the poor to stay in power.

The truth is no one is really concern about making things better, everyone is concern about satisfying their base.

I personally dont believe the trickle down theory works. I believe that strenghting the middle class by keeping their dreams is alive is what works. Education is the ultimate equalizer bc it gives everyone a slight chance of getting out of poverty. I dont think handing people money in the forms of money or food works, bc it creates a class of poor who are totally reliant on the government. The key is to provide the tools to navigate themselves out.

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

owen1055 wrote:
Anyone who believes the fight in Washington is just about raising the debt ceiling is bling. Every single politicians understand that spending is out of control, but the debate who should suffer more when it comes to cuts.
The far right wing of the republican party want to cut all the programs that benefits mostly the poor and minority groups. Democrats on the other hand want tax increase and reform.

The demographic of this country is changing rapidly and causing fear to the people who have been in power. The fight is no longer about slavery or skin color, it is now more about social economic groups. Unfortunately blacks, hispanics, and uneducated white people fall into that category. The far right wing of the republican party are made up mostly of people who fear that their slice of the pie is getting smaller. The democrats on the other hand rely on the poor to stay in power.

The truth is no one is really concern about making things better, everyone is concern about satisfying their base.

I personally dont believe the trickle down theory works. I believe that strenghting the middle class by keeping their dreams is alive is what works. Education is the ultimate equalizer bc it gives everyone a slight chance of getting out of poverty. I dont think handing people money in the forms of money or food works, bc it creates a class of poor who are totally reliant on the government. The key is to provide the tools to navigate themselves out.

You have said it all brother!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: