KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

HARMONIK LET'S GO: OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: HARMONIK LET'S GO: OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

Here is the OFFICIAL Kompa Magazine HARMONIK CD review.

HARMONIK TIME: Cowboy guitars highlight this kickoff track on the cd. I smell a LIVE throw down whenever they play this on the live circuit. The rap on this track has a resemblance at the beginning of the verses to the one used on the TVICE/KREYOL LA collabo track THIS IS IT...Very small though, but having said that, the CALL & CHANT should do well with the masses. HIT POTENTIAL TRACK.

MORE THAN ENOUGH: The intro to the song catches your attention from the word GO. This is simply a beautiful track with nice melodies/harmonies, arrangements and the whole nine yards. The way that they add the different singers on the track works well. I LOVE THE VOCAL PART where the singer says "LE'M VOYAJE...FOK MWEN ALE...OU KON'N JANM DESOLE"...simply well executed. ONE OF MY FAVORITES ON THE CD. It might lack the "simple" extremely memorable hook to make it a sure fire hit....but I do believe that it CAN become a hit. Hopefully they won't WASTE this song like they did "TRUE LOVE" on their last cd.

BRASSE LIDE SANDERS' guitar work is making a strong case in terms of it becoming a strong identification mark/label for the band..as displayed on this track. This song however has a KILLER "IN YOUR FACE" keyboard solo by Nickenson that gives it the LA RI credibility that it needs to become a hit. Like MAC D says in the song when Nicky's keyboard comes in...GOL TOU DROITE. That keyboard is SICK SICK SICK.

BO KOTE'M This "IF YOU GIVE ME A CHANCE AT BEING WITH YOU" type type of song has a PLOGUE NAN FE NWA heaven track written all over it. A + for this tune...the only thing in my opinion, and it is major, IT LACKS A KILLER HOOK THAT STAYS IN YOUR MIND. Everything else about this song is simply MAGIC. Another one of our favorites on the cd. In my opinion, HARMONIK should have worked until they found a very memorable hook for this song, in order to make this song reach maximum potential. The majority of the public loves BUBBLEGUM that they can chew EASILY without any complications. They DON'T want to be taken too much into a musical ride with complexing melodies/harmonies.

SMS The ambiance after the intro is extremely lively. Some serious compas led by Sanders' guitars lead this song about the trouble that technology these days is causing for relationships. The hardcore compas fans might relate to this track more than some of the other songs on the cd.

ANGELIQUE The first time I heard this song, it had COMMERCIAL HIT SONG jumping all over it to me. A very mellow PLOGUE type of track with a nice commercial groove. I can see why this is the track that seems to be generating buzz for the cd so far. HIT HIT HIT HIT. YO GIN YON GWO ZA'M NAN MIN YO LA AK MIZIK SA.

PA MODE This songs sounds like a song that SANDERS wrote right after either DON RORO or TI JOEL left Harmonik. SANDERS who is extremely close to manager Rodney Noel sure seemed inspired with this PA MODE DWET KI BA'W MANJE (Don't bite the hand that feeds you) theme track. It is a very nice track with good potential.

ALL THE WAYSummer/Party time fun track to jam to in your cars, or to listen to in your iphones/Ipads. It is a good song...I don't expect it to do much LIVE, as I feel they might NOT push it.

FE SA YO VLE: One of the songs that Nickenson made me listen to before the cd came out. It's a typical US AGAINST THE WORLD theme song from a couple's standpoint, the type of words that many will be able to relate to. The important words on here LANMOU PAT GIN IMPORTANS LEU MWEN TE GINYIN'W...GAD JAN MWEN VLE LI JODI A. Love was not important to me when I had you, (Now that I don't)...Look at how I want it TODAY. This song would be an INSTANT HIT ON A NICKENSON SOLO CD. I am not sure how they are going to push this one LIVE. Another one of our favorites on the cd. NICKENSON SOLO CD LOVERS are very well represented on this HARMONIK cd.

LET'S GO WITH ALISON HINDS: This song got a lot of heat from Compas purists when it was released as the first single because it branched off too much in another direction; but listening to this song AFTER LISTENING to the tracks that come before it on the cd, it fits very well in here. As a matter of fact, it makes you appreciate it even more than before. The lyrics that are provided also do the job as well. I appreciate the track even more on the cd than when it was first released.

I HEART U One of the first songs that caught my attention when I first heard the songs on the cd. THE INTRO WITH THE GUITARS GRAB YOU BY THE NECK and force you to stick around to listen to the entire song. Great job by MAC D on the vocals on this one. The track in which he does the best vocally on the cd in my opinion. POTENTIAL HIT, even if some of that potential has to do with the fact that it has a slight resemblance to the group's last hit "Obsede". MAC D also delivers on something that some of the other songs lack...he delivers with a VERY CATCHY CHORUS THAT IS EASY FOR PEOPLE TO REMEMBER. The strange name "HEART" instead of "HURT" also catches your attention/ears. One of our favorites on the cd.

SI'M TE GIN The SAX intro caught my attention. SANDERS' voice on this CD has gone up another notch/level from the last cd. The story of this song revolves around about asking "LOVE/LANMOU" if he were a person QUESTIONS about LANMOU. Get it? (LOL) Very good potential on this track.

YON SEL BONDYE Hommage to the man upstairs with a nice message. Good song to stick at the end of a cd like they did. STRICTLY STUDIO CD material...nothing more. EXPECTED MORE or SOMETHING DIFFERENT, especially since it is a track that NICKENSON & RICHIE got together on. I expected a STREET "LA RI" BANGER.

I BELIEVE IN LOVE SPANISH guitar inspired intro. Mac D. proves that he can handle an English sung track with ease. Having this track in there won't hurt if they are trying to target some airplays in certain Latino markets.

*The CD has quite a lot of beautiful songs. I CAN'T say that there is a BAD song in there, however, I CAN say that NOT all the songs will appeal to all as is the case with other bands as well. Having said that, THE CD has a CERTIFIED HIT in "ANGELIQUE", and a few POTENTIAL HITS in songs like "I HEART U", "HARMONIK TIME" and a couple of others that we listed above in our review.

The cd would have appeared TIGHTER had they NOT put so many songs on it. It has 14 tracks, and I do believe that there are at least 3 tracks had they NOT put them on the cd, it would NOT have hurt it in any way.

Having said that, when all is said and done, once again I am going to say it...NICKENSON PRUDHOMME brings a breath of fresh air to the HMI in terms of his music and KEYBOARD SOUNDS. NOU BEZWEN NEG TANKOU NICKY NAN HMI LA to move away from the "norm" in terms of MINM TI BAGAY kap pede jwe sou plak yo. He delivered BIG TIME on this cd. As a matter of fact, I am very pleased with this CD.

HARMONIK fans/haters....I have news for you. This band looks like they are getting COMFORTABLE in this business, and this cd proves that they might be here to stay, not planning to go anywhere anytime soon.

KM!

Last edited by kompamagazine on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 am; edited 3 times in total

DJ Kreyol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great review.

I am still DIGESTING this CD.

I will say this "Jere'm" FRAPPEM as soon as I heard that CD; this CD is taking a long time for it to hit me.

I am on the fence with this CD.

Gromosso

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I started listening to the CD on Friday and the songs that I'm feeling thus far are Pa Mode, Fe Sa Yo Vle, I heart You and Yon Sel Bondye.

A couple of points: I brought up the point about the album containing too many (14) songs to both Nick and Sanders when I saw them on Saturday. Nick said it's a strategic move for the band to have more songs on their live repertoire throughout the life of the cd. Personally, I thought it's too many but we'll see what happens.

As for the album itself, I do think some of the songs should have been ommited from the final cut, too many vocalists on the album and it may create a bit of confusion to the average listener. Their debut album had an instant impact on me when I first started listening to it, but it still very much early obviously to make a final determination.

Antouka, good job with the album Harmonik and great review KM!

rocketman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NICE REVIEW!!

MORE THAN ENOUGH:I agree with you a 1000 times on this one
oh man what an intro? the first time I began to listen to
it I was very excited. the melodies are just about perfect on there!
and then NICKY came out and killed it with a second melo which made it
perfect. GOOD TRACK
But I don't think MAC D was too important on this track in fact I think it
would of been better if Nicky sung it by himself! which I believe is
probably what he had in mind for the track.

ALL THE WAY:
is anothor song I really apreciate on that album simply because of
the vibe, I think this one might do damage in festivals and all.
gen anpil ti foolish ki mache deyer harmonik yap renmen danse ti nmizik sa
anpil surtou ti medam yo.

fFER SA YO VLE: track sa reyelman fem bien ler
map tande'l tou.
overall I think it's a nice album but for some reasons most people
prefered the first one cause, they say it was way better..

anyway yo gen bagay pou degaje yo pou yon moman!
but moun HAITI dim CD tout moun ap tann nan peyi a pou moman se
CD NL la Smile Smile se sa yo di'm but sa pa yon supriz!

GOOD LUCK HARMONIK!!

sexype

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the review KM...

I already listened to the album more than 2 times... I only like SMS, I believe in love and I heart u so far… I need to listen to it a few times… before judging the album….not a bad album at all but my expectation was very high...

you can hurt me physically but you can never hurt my soul...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stallion25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well said pat

more than enough is my favorite can't stop listen

my little one loves I heart you she catch it so fast

fe sa yo vle got me going over and over

reason why i like I believe in love is the spanish guitar and mac d cried his heart out

angelique i like every single line on that track

antouka monik gin afer pou summer a

le monde est gouverne par de tout autres personnages que ne se l'imaginent ceux dont loeil ne plonge pas dans les coulisses

G.I.F.G

GAZZMAN IS FREAKING GREAT HA HAA HA HAA HAA

yef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the review Pat. My favorites are: I heart you, Angelique, All the way, Bo kote'm, Fe sa yo vle and Si'm te gen. Good stuff. I was in the process of writing a review for this Cd, but not sure if it's still needed!

-Fabrice Rouzier

kdrummerboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

THE FIRST CD HIT ME LIKE THE VERY FIRST TIME I LISTENED TO IT... SONGS LIKE : DIM KI SA POU MWEN FE, OBSEDE, JEREM, SA PA BON, OH PALEUR, KONSEKAN...... SONGS LIK THAT HIT YOU RIGHT OFF THE BAT...

AS FOR AS TEH SECOND CD, I'M STILL TRYING TO DIGEST IT, BUT SO FAR, I HEART YOU IS SLOWLY MAKING ITS WAY INTO ME!!

azb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SO WHATEVER ,I DON'T HAVE ANY CRITICS ON THIS ALBUM ...I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THOSE GUYS WORK SO CLEAN ON THIS PRODUCTS,,,SAN TACH ...LIKE LYRICS THEM ARE SO GREAT...LIKE THEY HAVE A SONG MORE THEN ENOUGH ,,I CAN SAY MORE THEN GOOD ALMOST PERFECT LOL LOL LOL ...PLEASE HELP THOSE GUYS ....BUY THE ORIGINAL COPIES ..HELP THEM BECAUSE THEY DESERVE THAT ......

Ernst

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: HARMONIK LET'S GO: OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

Great review Pat, but this cd isn't doing it for me. Sometimes as junky music we tend to speak too soon on a new cd, however, I talked to other junkies like myself none of them feels the cd.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: