KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

KREYOL LA EVOLUTION: OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: KREYOL LA EVOLUTION: OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

SONG BY SONG BREAKDOWN of KREYOL LA's latest cd "EVOLUTION".

*MAP BOURE: Very inviting keyboard to start the cd, even though the first few seconds to start the cd is missing that BOOM or WOW effect....I DID SAY THE FIRST FEW SECONDS. Having said that, this is an excellent kick off track, giving a prelude of what we're to expect from the group when they need to rock a festival/concert, or even kick up the bal a notch. TI HANTZ is a great hype singer and he fits perfectly on this track. Being that this is the first track off the cd, the star/most recognizable member of the group TI JOE should have been at least featured a little bit on the track as some sort of "familiarity" move. I love that RAP BREAK in the middle song, and the term "MAP BOURE" fits perfectly in the context that they want to use it here. At first I did not like the STUDIO version of this track, but after a couple of listens, it is a great kickoff track...and LIVE it's a killer.

*AVWE LA VERITE: Great epic keyboard intro makes you feel as if you are part of a movie. Tell the truth at all costs before a relationship to your partner, so that no one else comes and does it for you IS THE THEME OF THIS SONG. Great solo groovy guitars by Loulou that are on the cd, but had to be cut off for the video for time purposes. "Port au Prince fonctione en C.I.A...Pa GIN MOUN YO VLE YO PA JWEN DOSSIE'L" (I Love that line). Seems to be the advance buzz song off the cd due to the video and more, and I can see why. Song will make noise for KREYOL LA.

*OUI OU NON: "Pour Lamour du Ciel" vocoder effect part caught my attention along with the groove that accompanied it. Nice keyboard saxophone by Ansyto...very realistic. GROOVE driven that had me bopping my head and body from right to left. Guitar and Keyboard are kings on this track, as well as the OUI OU NON chant. It should be interesting to see if they can do magic with this song LIVE.

*CHERI'M GERI: The BEST STORY TELLER IN THE HMI should be TI JOE ZENNY's new nickname as displayed on this track. Will NOT reveal the story to you so that I don't spoil it for those of you that have yet to get the cd. This guy has a great gift of telling great stories through music, and this song is one of the best examples that showcases that. "JAN OU HUMILIE'M...OU MACHE SOU FIERTE'M" (Great line)....and there is a SIWEL LA RI Keyboard on this track that will be very popular with a lot of people; and we don't even want to say the storyline which many will be able to relate to. (Did NOT like the way the guitar FIRST came in on this track...and the shout out to New York promoter Glasses sounds like it was just inserted in there at the last minute...LI PA BIEN CHITA NAN MIZIK LA). They could have kept going with this song in terms of the groove, but a little bit too much storytelling killed the vibe a little bit. We understand the strategy being "RES LA POU BAL"...so NAP KITE'L MACHE. Excellent track.

*FRUSTRATION: The chorus for this song was already a major hit for the group on the LIVE bal circuit where it is more well known as "KA*A VOYE", so it is never an easy task to put a popular skit on a studio song without messing it up and not pushing away the fans that are used to the LIVE VERSION of the track. "SAK GINLA BABY" (I love when TI HANTZ comes in with that line). They turn the song into a track about the state of the country and how "KA*A VOYE". For the most part they do succeed in not killing the vibe of the LIVE feel, even though at times I feel as if the song is going too fast. Having said that they do deliver the goods on this track, my only complaint...THEY DID NOT DO THAT "KA*A VOYE" part enough in my opinion.

*MOVE FLANNE: Cool track to jam to. It does NOT give me the same vibe that I had from THEO's last song "Fanm Kreyol" on KREYOL LA's last cd, but it will do. You can also see that this track sounds different than the others so far. A touch of an OLDER COMPAS track enough to please the older crowd and younger crowd alike.

*UP TO DATE: Another track that seems to want to cater to an older crowd in terms of the Compas style. It shows that the group can go and please different crowds at the drop of a dime. "Mwen rive sou ou wi...AK TOUT VITESSE CHERI" (I like that line from Ti Joe). Nice keyboard before SHABBA gets his invitation to come in from Ti Joe. Funny friendly jab at CARIMI with Shabba. "MIN SAK RELE COMPAS....OOOOOO OOOOO". It a solid compas track to solidify their "EVOLUTION" theme cd.

*YON TI DANS: FRENCH classic movie intro catches the ears at the beginning of the song. A cool middle of the road track with great dancing vibes/chops for you and your partner to enjoy on the dance floor. Solid track while NOT hit song material, it is good for the record.

*YAP FE FOLI: MIKA helped on this track. MIKABEN did NOT give his "FANM SA MOVE" best on this song, but it is still a very catchy track with lots of potential. "KREYOL LA POU LA VIE......JUSKA L'INFINI"...I am feeling that. I really hope the group does something with that song LIVE, even if they only play that CHORUS PART WITH THE KEYBOARD. It has great potential.

*MENAJ OU ENERVE'M: The track title explains itself (Lol) A very funny song that once agains shows why TI JOE ZENNY IS THE BEST STORY TELLER IN THE HMI WHEN IT COMES TO MUSIC in the compas genre. GADE YON MIZIK (Anmweyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy). The keyboard sounds on this track are SICK. Big up to ANSYTO or TI HANTZ, or FABRICE ROUZIER? The question is, how will the band turn this track to make it appeal MORE to the bal crowd on the LIVE circuit? A suivre. ONE OF MY FAVORITE TRACKS ON THE CD.

*PLON GAYE: This HIT song needs no introduction as it has been on the market for a hot minute now. CATCHY GUITAR & CHORUS almost on the same level as KORE'M LA in terms of reaction. It has been doing the job for many months now for the group.

AYITI LEVE: Very inspirational message song from the group about the January 12th disaster.

*This is an EXCELLENT CD/RECORD if you love music. The group does show EVOLUTION like the cd is named, in every sense of the word. KREYOL LA, and even going back to the days of KONPA KREYOL, have NEVER had a bad STUDIO CD. They always deliver the goods on record, and this one is just another example.

My only concern is KREYOL LA in trying to showcase THEIR EVOLUTION (Growth musically), I hope they did not alienate those fans who Love the LA RI COMPAS SOUND, and hopefully they won't think this cd is too polished or advanced musically. Also at times on a couple of tracks, just when they should just drop the groove, they tend to extend the text a little bit more, which then loses the LAGE'L LA at the "RIGHT MOMENT" effect. Having said that, KREYOL LA has always been a band more interested in the STORY OF A SONG first BEFORE the groove (On CD), whereas there are other bands who only care about the GROOVES and say F..K the story line, and that is what sets KREYOL LA apart from a lot of other bands on the market.

My 2 Favorite tracks on the CD are "MENAJ OU ENERVE'M" and "AVWE LA VERITE". The tracks "MAP BOURE", "AVWE LA VERITE", and "FRUSTRATION" are already doing their thing on the LIVE circuit, and I expect "MENAJ OU ENERVE'M" and "CHERI'M GERI" to be the next ones out the gate to follow. They should not sleep on the other tracks, especially the "YAP FE FOLI" where they can actually just push that keyboard part with the chorus.

Did KREYOL LA keep their word in terms of the cd title? YES with a capital "Y". It is indeed an EVOLUTION musically from their last cd. BRAVO KREYOL LA.....MWEN SIYIN DEYE CD SA WI MWEN MIN'M. 2 Thumbs up from Kompa Magazine. EXCELLENT JOB!

SAK GINLA BABY My new slogan TI HANTZ stylee Laughing Laughing Laughing

yef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat,

You're on a roll!! Thanks for the review. My favorite track hands down is Menaj ou eneve'm. Fabrice rouzier delivered!

My next favorite track is Oui ou Non. The lyrics are awesome man! Something I would say to a lady... Laughing

-Fabrice Rouzier

daphnee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good job Kreyol La and thanks for the review Pat. I love love love this CD..they definitely exceeded my expectations. Very Happy and of course my fave song is "Cheri'm Geri" can't wait to catch them live Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wallywal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My second favorite album so far. Cheri'm geri and "avwe la verite" did it for me. For some reason i don't know if that cd is going to help them reach the next level...on verra bien.

FoFo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well put KM... Mennaj ou, Frustration, Ayiti
leve are my personnal favorites. Cherim gueri:
sesa net! Bon bagay Kreyol La

FoFo #1♥

Robie Rob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Patchouko nice review man...Djazz sa Evolue lan tout sans...i love all the songs on the cd...im not to crazy about Yap fe foli but after listening the live version of it lets just said its growing in me...Frustration and Map Boure are wicked live....oh l'eternel...Cheri'm Gueri, Oui ou Non gintan fe chemin deja.

Overall Kreyol la score big time with this CD...Apache yo nou soude Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pat my slogan is SAK GIN LA GUITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

DJ Kreyol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Yon Ti Dans": Wow I am IN LOVE with this SONG. The keyboard GROOVE gives you the LICENSE pou fe bagay sou bagay!

"Cheri'm Geri": This SONG is so freaking good. Vocally and structurally. The STORY is the BEST story I have heard this year in a KOMPA SONG.

Good review!

This CD is so good. I am a HUGE fan of it.

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ROBBIE ROB...I know that YOU WOULD LOVE EVERY SINGLE SONG on the cd papa Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nou kon'n sa deja

SAK GIN LA BABY

KM!

kreole la#1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks 4 the review pat, nice job. I love the whole cd, but my 3 favorites tracks are.....oui ou non, cheri m geri n move flanne. Great job 2 Kreyol La n crew

DEPOUCHE CHAMPAGNE LA.......

Robie Rob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kompamagazine wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ROBBIE ROB...I know that YOU WOULD LOVE EVERY SINGLE SONG on the cd papa Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nou kon'n sa deja

SAK GIN LA BABY

KM!

Pat you know it but u see i kept it real with the song dat im not to crazy bout as well... Laughing Laughing Laughing

mwen we slogan SAK GIN LA BABY finn anvayi djazz lan live.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing mwen konin wap kontan le ou we djazz la le 18 Pat... Laughing Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: