Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - THE HMI & DOMESTIC VIOLENCE...THE FORBIDDEN TUNE!
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

THE HMI & DOMESTIC VIOLENCE...THE FORBIDDEN TUNE!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: THE HMI & DOMESTIC VIOLENCE...THE FORBIDDEN TUNE! Reply with quote Back to top

Why are HMI bands and their female vocalists afraid to tackle the issue of DOMESTIC VIOLENCE that is so prominent in the Haitian world?

We have prominent female artists in the industry, PLUS bands that have females in their lineups....Why is it that the MAIN COMPOSERS of those bands, or perhaps the ladies themselves whether SOLO or WITH A BANDMANTE write a song about it?

Is it because it is NOT a popular topic to talk about and bands assume that it won't be a HIT SONG with the public?

Is it because some members in those bands might be afraid to touch a subject like that so that it does not come back to bite them in the ass later on?

Would the ladies in the bands or the solo female artists think that they might lose their appeal/popularity with MALE FANS if they touch that TOO HOT TO HANDLE issue?

Is it because that they just don't see guys WHO ACTUALLY DO THAT IN REAL LIFE jumping for joy and singing along to a tune like that while they are at the club or in the car listening to the song...knowing full well KE SE AVEK YO KE MIZIK LA AP PALE?

Could a topic like that be coming TOO CLOSE TO HOME for some of our HMI female artists and that makes it uneasy to sing?

It's an issue that exists in the Haitian Community, and to bring attention to it....IT MUST BE DISCUSSED...Even if an artist or band puts the message through on a very catchy tune/beat...WHO KNOWS HOW MANY LIVES/BEATINGS can be saved/avoided if the lyrics are pounded into people's minds often enough.

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IS WRONG.....ARTISTS TAKE A STAND DAMN IT!

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

PS: WE WILL NOT COUNT 911 by Georgy/Hangout as we all know it was just a personal issue between 2 lovebirds that just went haywire which inspired a response song of that name but that had nothing to do with domestic violence.

KM!

Staff Poze 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think the band KLINIC has a very good music/video about Domestic Violence..............
Well done video and story............check it out.

Kunta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat actually there is a song from SHOOGAR COMBO (Larose Lead era) that actually was a hit for the band. It is called PITYE POU FANM. This song actually put Larose on the map as a top writter every band wanted to get from SHOOGAR...DP did later that year after that album was released. Artist now adays afraid to touch it, because they are into making money rather making music for the people. Remember time has change. The older artist lived in a time when they needed to have balls to make it. You need artist with balls to speak out.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN =====>PITIE POU FANM by SHOOGAR COMBO

HERE'S WHAT A FULL BAND LOOKS LIKE

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

STAFF POZE...Good move by Klinik BUT they are NOT a TOP HMI BAND WITH A HUGE FOLLOWING able to get the message through to many many people.

KUNTA...Thanks for the mp3/info...but again what about TODAY's BANDS?

KM!

JMPerry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a touchy subject for the Haitian community in general. Like you said Pat, in bals, you will have men in the audience that will be guilty of domestic violence and they won't be jumping and singing. And that goes for women too, gin de fanm kap kale gason deyo a, ti mesieu louvri je nou. The topic should be tackled because any way we can approach the issue to make a difference, it should be done. So great topic and it would be nice to hear from some musicians that read and post on the board why the distance between them and that topic for a song.

JMPerry
KePy Records, Inc.
"Raising the Standard"

Gromosso

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat, 509 addressed this issue in a track called Domestic Violence from their 509 Police album.

DV pa bon et li pap janm bon.

belfam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think we need more female stars that are willing to talk about this issues. The men won't tackle it because most of them beleive that it is normal. If they see that there is nothing wrong their mentality why talk about. Unfortunately we do not have that many female artist that can put attention to this subject.

Fran7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It would be nice for our musicians to promote DV awareness in the HMI through singing, yet I don’t know how effective that alone would be because an abuser won’t just wake up one day and make a 360 turn by listening to some lyrics…it would take much more than that to break the cycle of violence…

rossignol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kunta wrote:
Pat actually there is a song from SHOOGAR COMBO (Larose Lead era) that actually was a hit for the band. It is called PITYE POU FANM. This song actually put Larose on the map as a top writter every band wanted to get from SHOOGAR...DP did later that year after that album was released. Artist now adays afraid to touch it, because they are into making money rather making music for the people. Remember time has change. The older artist lived in a time when they needed to have balls to make it. You need artist with balls to speak out.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN =====>PITIE POU FANM by SHOOGAR COMBO

epi ou fin pale wi la......in good conscience they cant talk about it b/c often times they are perpetrators themselves...

a song about this and a song about that....pretty soon it all becomes rhetoric anyway...the culture is different today....people will sing it for the good hook, not b/c they are taking the time to learn from the sublime message.....back in the day, we were conscious individuals and we had "balls"..now things are different...we lack all morals and being conscientious of anything that requires balls is the least of our priorities...

Staff Poze 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kompamagazine wrote:
STAFF POZE...Good move by Klinik BUT they are NOT a TOP HMI BAND WITH A HUGE FOLLOWING able to get the message through to many many people.

KUNTA...Thanks for the mp3/info...but again what about TODAY's BANDS?

KM!

We all in the MEDIA have a DUTY to get messages like that ACROSS..........instead of putting energy and time promoting music with NO SUBSTANCE of top HMI bands with huge following.

At least I play the Klinic song on my show here in DC/MD. I love taking the time to introduce the unknown bands and the message they convey to my following. I like to applaud a job well done everytime I got the chance to do so.................and that make me feel good inside.........knowing that I can reach out and touch the talented but less fortunate artists with my God Given knowledge/tools and opportunities.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: