Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - HMI ON LIFE SUPPORT: ARE NEW CDS ENOUGH TO BRING IT BACK?
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

HMI ON LIFE SUPPORT: ARE NEW CDS ENOUGH TO BRING IT BACK?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: HMI ON LIFE SUPPORT: ARE NEW CDS ENOUGH TO BRING IT BACK? Reply with quote Back to top

THE HMI HAS BEEN ON LIFE SUPPORT for MOST of 2006. The Spring and Summer went by without a MAJOR CD release. Bal attendance is down all over the HMI lands (In Haiti has to do more with kidnappings).

With all the hoopla about such and such bands about to release their new cds, I have one thing to ponder.

ARE NEW CDS EVEN ENOUGH TO BRING THE HMI BACK TO LIFE?

Something NEW needs to happen to the market.
People are tired of the same things over and over again. This is a crisis which I've never seen the HMI face...at least for a long long time.

This is kind of like the stock exchange ALMOST CRASHING.

SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE...and I mean REAL FAST.

KM!

Last edited by kompamagazine on Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kunta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat I predicted this HMI crash three years ago. Musically, Compas is stagnent. Every band is waiting to be the next parasite on the next trend. Bands are more parasidic rather unique. Until each band try to create their own compas sound, HMI will be on an up and down.

HERE'S WHAT A FULL BAND LOOKS LIKE

Last edited by Kunta on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haitianone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat

I think this is a strategy by most those bands out there. Their last albums were successful and now create a situation where people cannot wait for the next album by starving the market for an extensive amount of time. This creates a dizzying level of demand out there which help produce CD sales.

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

HAITIANONE....So you think everything will be back to normal after the bands release their CDS? If not....WHAT HAPPENS?

KM!

Last edited by kompamagazine on Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Haitianone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat

Will everything go back to normal after these releases? Well, if these bands put out excellent product they will be forgiven and people move on to their old routines until stagnation and repetition plagues again. This is the way Haitian folks want it to work otherwise they would have changed by now.

Also, there needs to be more good new Haitians bands coming to the marketplace putting competition out there. That is the only way to change this laziness. Then again the AMI works the same way. An artists comes out with two big albums and then they go to hibernation for a couple of years and re-appear. The HMI is another thing, there are not plenty of alternatives out there. So everything is in a sleep state.

That is why things like doing remixes or something to keep people interested is greatly needed.

PIYO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think they just need hits on there next CD. If each band band can at least bring 2 hits and couple average songs in their upcuming CD that change the slope of the curve.

I think the challence is making those hits. Will the same formula works after 3 years? or worst after 1 year? Can we handle 2 more of the same formula use since we cant remember. Djakout for example, from "mannigueta" to "Lwe kris la" is the same formula over and over, and it seems we might get another dose in the song "justice". Will T-Vice give us 2 more of "4 las" dose.

The bands need to take chances. They need to start trying new concepts. Djakout is Djakout, T-vice is Tvice, Carimi is Carimi and so on, we have no choice to get what they are giving us. They should put money into promoting a new style, we will have to cope with it anyways.

I think that's the problem they are confronting right now. Should they let the fans control the output or should they take control over the fans by applying new concepts, where both scenario are very risky at this moment.

yanvaloo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahhhhhhhhhhhh bagay yo red netttttttttt and from what i'm hearing in Haiti tet chage net ................. don't know if cd would make a big change. Meaning new cd here , there ka pase inapercu anyway map suiv.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
de-facto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

one of the reason why the hmi is on life support is because the same bal is happening over and over and the band ned new material,new slogan more show at festival.
i think once the band members realize they need each other things will be back to normal.

belfam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know sa kap tuye-m nan se ke the upcomong bands are not doing anything to help with this plague. They could have make great impact but nooooo, they are waiting for competion from other bands.
Sa Do-la, Farengheit, G5, Krezi and many others are waiting for? Sometimes mwen mande tet mwen si those so-called promoters, producers pa konin sa ki rele business yo tout se yon paket nou-n san logical sans yo ye e n-ap paye pou sa. I am very upset at the HMI right now.

cici

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know... I am actually disappointed this year with the lack of great music. I was hoping some bands would come out delivering, but I've yet to hear any new material.I've been hearing the same old stuff. I think every band needs to step it up and really deliver in the fall. We can not have 2007 be the same with the lack of good, heavy kompa. I miss the old days of kompa where you had great material and the songs were great classics you could still remember...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: