Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - CAREL PEDRE ARTICLE ON AOL.COM!
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

CAREL PEDRE ARTICLE ON AOL.COM!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: CAREL PEDRE ARTICLE ON AOL.COM! Reply with quote Back to top

WORLD
Haitian DJ Harnesses Airwaves for Aid Mission
Updated: 1 hour 46 minutes ago

Lauren Frayer
Contributor
(Jan. 19) -- A week ago, Carel Pedre was hosting his morning radio show in Haiti, mixing music, telling jokes and making bets on who would win American Idol. One of the country's most popular DJs, he hosted its version of the talent competition last year.

Now Pedre is sleeping in his parked car, with little fuel left, surviving on bread and water.

But you can still hear him on the radio.

In the week since the most devastating natural disaster in Haiti's bedraggled history, a popular station there, Radio One, has had enough fuel to run its electricity generator a few hours a day. That's allowed Pedre to grab the airwaves and transform his normally catchy music show into a lifeline for lonely earthquake survivors in need.

Haitian radio DJ Carel Pedre has been staying in his car outside the radio station and keeping people up to date on the airwaves and on Twitter.

"We have an international phone line, so people can come in and use it to call relatives abroad to tell them they're OK, and we broadcast it all," Pedre told Sphere in a phone interview from outside the station's headquarters in Petionville, near the capital. Airing emotional reunions and good news from survivors gives listeners hope that they too might find lost friends, he said. Aid groups also feed information to the station, which tells listeners where they can find clean water and food.

Pedre's broadcasts have been the only hint of help for many Haitians after a 7.0-magnitude earthquake destroyed much of the country's infrastructure one week ago. Food and water are still scarce. Officials estimate as many as 200,000 people are dead and 1.5 million left homeless.

Even though his house was not destroyed in last week's earthquake, Pedre prefers to sleep in his car outside the radio station, out of fear that more aftershocks could still wreck his home. Plus, there's no electricity or water at home, and he feels safer near the office.

"I sleep in my car with some friends. We have four journalists at the station, and we wake up and do the shows," the 29-year-old said. "Right now I'm eating bread and water, but maybe if I can find something else like rice, I'll get it," he said. "But my situation isn't so different from what thousands of people are experiencing."

"We still have no food or water. There's been some change in the health situation, because there have been some more doctors helping and more hospital centers [resuming operations]," he said. "But the main thing is people still in the streets homeless, who need someone to take care of them."

Hundreds of people have been sleeping on the same street where Pedre is parked. There's safety in numbers, he said. But several young men have built a roadblock at the end of the street, piling up debris to keep out strangers who aren't from the neighborhood.

"The streets are not completely safe. People are trying to protect themselves. But when you're on a block with more than 500 people sleeping there, it's safe because nobody can come and hurt you. Still, people are fighting when they want something... A lot of supermarkets collapsed, so people are going under the rubble to search for food. When they find something, people are fighting to get what they have," he said. "People are hungry, they haven't had water for six days."

Pedre sent his 1-year-old daughter, who was born in the United States, away on an evacuation flight to the States, where he knew she'd be safe with family. But as station manager and chief engineer, he stayed behind to make sure all of his employees were safe. One of them, a radio presenter, is still missing.

"I decided to stay because there are a lot of people who need what I'm doing. It's been six days now and there's been no official source of information for the people," said Pedre, who studied computer science.

Many Haitians normally listen on battery-powered radios, but after a week of listening all hours, desperate for news of loved ones or of aid convoys, those batteries are running out. Some who have fuel left in their cars run the engine just to turn on the car radio, Pedre said.

Like so many other Haitians, Pedre is running out of supplies. A bakery near his office is still selling bread, so he's been buying as much as he can to share with friends. "But I'm running out of money so I don't know how long that'll last," he said. Friends have been sharing whatever provisions they have. "We're going to keep helping each other because we don't know how long it'll take for aid to reach us."

After a week on the streets, families have carved out their own little spaces, with beds and cooking areas along sidewalks. During his phone interview with Sphere, Pedre described an elderly woman across the street using a tree branch to sweep away dust from her family's little plot in the gutter. Despite trying to keep busy, "you see the sadness in people's faces here," Pedre said.

Asked about the future of his radio show, Pedre said: "Maybe I'll bring back a bit of the music, slowly, in a different format giving people updates on the relief efforts. But the music, the jokes and that happy tone – that's all gone now."

Filed under: World
Follow Sphere on Facebook and Twitter.

daphnee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Go Carel...you've been awesome and we thank you!!!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haitianone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck brother

wallywal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

God bless you.

vava

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LOVE YOU CAREL... I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU ANYMORE I'VE TOLD YOU ALL BEFORE. YOU ARE TRULY AN AMAZING MAN & GOD WILL ALWAYS WATCH OVER YOU!

jeanVALjean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Bondje va beniw frem!

Diva Duck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The first hour of my work day typically starts with listening to Radio1 online. Carel's dedication has been exceptional! His tweets and facebook updates were truly the only lifeline many of us had in the beginning of this tragedy.

Se pa pale mete la non...Gen dedicasyon deye'l. Keep it up Carel.

"Nothing new can come into your life...unless you are grateful for what you already have."

Rj production

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bon bagay carel bondye ap beni'w vye fre

FUNKY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carourou like i told u b4...tu resteras béni pour le reste de tes jours...keep the good work babe and be safe..love u much Wink

menkonpa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After all the cleanup has finished and we start to go back to what's left of our normal lives, there are a few people who should receive a medal of honor for their sacrifice, their service and selflessness. Carel is one of these people. Since day one, he has been there, doing what he does best.
Radio Vision Nouvelle is another station who should receive a medal of honor. What these guys have done have been remarkable.
Thank you

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: