KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

CARIMI "BUZZ": OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: CARIMI "BUZZ": OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

Here is the official KOMPA MAGAZINE cd review for CARIMI's "BUZZ", their 4th studio CD.

*WE THE BEST: This is a straight up MUSCLE FLEXING SWAGGER SONG in every sense of the word. The lyrics reflect it, and also THE MUSIC has a sense of "HOW U LIKE ME NOW" type of deal as in "I know my sh@t is good", what u gotta say about us NOW" type of deal. It's a kick ass banger that is probably their best kick off song on a CD since "BANG BANG". It will do well LIVE and "CAN" be a hit song, if it does not get overshadowed too much by other songs on the CD. CARIMI flavor all over it.

*MWEN PARE: From the introduction, this song catches your attention with the NEW SOUNDS that RICHARD CAVE dropped on there. The background vocals on this track for some reason (And it is not the first time), it seems as if it's RICHARD's voice that you hear "only", or th loudest, but it does add something very positive to the track. This song has HIT WRITTEN ALL OVER IT. The guitars on this track are absolutely amazing, as well as the arrangements. From head to toe, Richard Cave has never composed a better song in terms of arrangement, lyrics, hit potential than this one. Easily one of my 2 favorite tracks on the cd.

*CARRY ME with PRINCESS LOVER: If you know your CARIMI history, you would know that this is actually THE FIRST SONG that CARIMI ever composed together as a group, except that it never made it onto the first CD. I am sure that it is a bit different than when they first composed it, but if the final product is any indication, you ask yourself WHY they waited until THEIR FOURTH STUDIO CD to unveil this very catchy radio friendly hit ready song. It's a"go with the flow" type of song that screams HIT SONG CROWD BANGER on there, especially with that "O.O.O...O..." chorus that I see the crowd chanting.

*BUZZ: First single released with the music video. Somehow the song was overshadowed by the video, and also WHY does the song sound/feel different on record than the one from the music video? I prefer the CD VERSION on here than the video version.

*MWEN DEZOLE: Beautiful intro. The song reminds you a bit of "CHAGRIN KRIMINEL" mixed with "MWEN SOU". It also seems to have 2 faces sort of speak. SAD first half, an the second half of the song is joyful/happy. It will do well LIVE and on the cd...to what extent, we don't know.

*OFFICIEL: The topic will make it one of the songs that people relate to the most on the CD. It will be the "TCHA TCHA" and "MWEN PA MACHO" of this CD. In other words, the song that CARIMI pulls out and turns it into an addictive CROWD PLEASER "LIVE", after the public has finished digesting the other plates on the menu. The one that they will use to "BAY PLAK LA GAZZ" in about 1 year to 1 year and a half, when the other songs start to fade a bit on the Live circuit. LI PRAL MACHE tou. Richard however needs to stop using that "CAN'T DO THAT" line too much in his songs as CHORUSES/MELODIES. You "CAN'T DO THAT".

*FE'M KADO'W: The tear jerker of the CD. GLENNY BENOIT had every reason when he told Kompa Magazine that this song shook him. It certainly shook me too. The Valentine's day "convincer". The "SECRET WEAPON" song when you want to close the deal on a courtship. The BASS on this track (Might be a keyboard bass...I might be wrong) is perfectly crafted for those who love to bounce in their cars, and that damn HARMONICA is nothing to play with. My second favorite (VERY CLOSE SECOND) on the CD.

*CONFESSION: Keyboard goes crazy on this track as Carlo fe keyboard la pale. The guitar as well is good...BUT this song feels like some Carimi tracks that we've heard before. IS IT A "FILLER" SONG, not exactly, but at the same time, I can't really say that it's groundbreaking either.

*FANM SA MOVE: "SAN GRATTE TET"....THIS WILL BE A MAJOR HIT on radio as well as LIVE. This song written by MIKA BENJAMIN will hit the jackpot for CARIMI, and of course for MIKA (SACEM), but it makes you ask yourself as well, why MIKA did not deliver a song like that for KREZI?

*MWEN DEZOLE (ACOUSTIC VERSION): Easily shows why CARLO VIEUX is one of the top artists in the HMI IN THE TRUE SENSE OF THE WORD. He is versatile where he can show you his COMMERCIAL SIDE, as well as ARTISTIC side. Richard Cave tends to stick with the "commercial", CARLO VIEUX is not afraid to experiment. Having said that, I love this version, but the 2 versions of the same song were NOT needed on this same record. Even though I understand the reason because CARLO VIEUX explained to me, I feel that one of these versions should have been saved as a bonus for the upcoming CARIMI "OFFICIAL" LIVE, and instead they should have added the song "FREAKY" that CARLO made me listen to...that for one reason or another did "NOT" make the CD.

CARIMI plays "COMPAS POP", and it does feels like a Haitian American production. The compas purists will try to stick the same tag that they had on the group when they first came out by saying "Se pa Compas", while the original fans of CARIMI who fell in love with the group when BANG BANG came out will be in heaven because the group went back to that original formula.

People can say whatever the hell they want, all that I am going to say is CARIMI HAS A HIT CD ON ITS HAND. A CD that has the potential to drop a LOT OF HITS. They went back to the studio and came back out with that swagger, a whole brand new attitude, and have served notice to other bands in the HMI that are about to come out by saying..."TOP THIS...IF U CAN" by flexing their muscle. A very good CD, and I am "almost" tempted to say that it might be even better than "BANG BANG", but mwen poko ap di sa so that they don't say that I'm crazy. Give me a few more weeks of listening than I will come back to that.

KM!

Last edited by kompamagazine on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

DonGabbana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On bagay ke'm konstate:
1) CD an fè lunanimite
2) Tout moun ta vle wè konfesyon kòm on mizik ranplisaj ou pa menm pale de li menm
3)Lè y'ap rank CD an yo wè ke li nan nivo BANG BANG e petèt menm depase'l men sa nou ezitan sou li
Mèsi pou review an Cool

djsinick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice review PAT,well done!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tankou MICKAEL di nan music WE THE BEST LA " SE PA MAJi SE TRAVAY Di" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mwen ta renmen konn nan ki kolet djazz bagay sa tonbe!!!!!!!!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JimBo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: CARIMI "BUZZ": OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVI Reply with quote Back to top

THANK YOU KM(PAT) BLOOD FOR YOUE OFFICAL REVIEW ON THE ALBUM, GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Cool
kompamagazine wrote:

People can say whatever the hell they want, all that I am going to say is CARIMI HAS A HIT CD ON ITS HAND. A CD that has the potential to drop a LOT OF HITS. KM!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Melfanatik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the review Pat! By the way, does anyone know where I can buy an original CD? I've been looking and I do not want to buy a copy as I am hearing that the album is already on the streets.

daphnee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thank You Patrick...no more Official BUZZ CD reviews please KM'ers Laughing It's too much ...Pat finn pale deja...thank you!!! Laughing Laughing

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OZ'MOSIS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

nice review; i see certain things i didn't think about......

fanatikonpa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KM style review with a top that if you can attitude lol, j/k

you know i was asking myself the same question about the Mika song, but thats a different post , maybe they were working on stuff like that for the second cd, anywasy back to the review,

DG is right everybody seems to hit common points and everybody is locked trying to figure out if this ois bang bang maetrial, i think time will tell, the bang bang single was an instant hit, but the live version of songs like player and chagrin criminel are really to my opinion what crowned the cd... thos crazy Steve grooves man... wow

And those guys produce so much everytime they on the studio, and some songs never make it to the cd.... they just perfect them... maybe freaky is for the 6th album? lol

But to your last point , a lot of critics will never be objective on CARIMI if they expect a "compas" album. I remeber MG was saying how after the first album where they came out with their true colors its tough not to be influenced by what is out there when you are on the road so much... I am glad they went back to their origins

D K Bess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Si on moun tap tann on review pou li al acheté CD sa...
MIN BON REVIEW...
Si review sa pa KONVINK on moun konn moun sa pat sou sa...

Jiska prézan mwen minm se 3 mizik mwen tandé...
Buzz, Officiel ak Fan sa mové...

3 mizik sa yo selman asé pou on moun gin on OPINION de CD a...
WOYYY GAD JAN-W DJAZ MOVÉ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ...

DonGabbana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

daphnee wrote:
thank You Patrick...no more Official BUZZ CD reviews please KM'ers Laughing It's too much ...Pat finn pale deja...thank you!!! Laughing Laughing

Pa obligatwaman sof ke'm panse vu gen on OFFIcial review kounyè an, pwochen REVIEW yo ka ale nan post OFISYÈL sa Wink
Daphne lèse MEMBER yo fè review yo non Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: