KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

FULL BAND FORMAT HAS WON THE BATTLE..IS IT GOOD FOR THE HMI?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: FULL BAND FORMAT HAS WON THE BATTLE..IS IT GOOD FOR THE HMI? Reply with quote Back to top

With the different announcements that seem to come every month or so that one digital band or another keep adding musicians to their rosters...moving every single band much closer than ever before to becoming FULL BANDS...Is it really good for the sake of the HMI?

Will that kill the VARIETY in terms of sounds from the different bands that are on the HMI landscape?

Is there a chance that one or two OR EVEN MORE of those full bands will sound very much alike?

KM!

Ben1265

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think the void left by the digital bands will be filled by the increasing popularity of Haitian Jazz. Variety is still here.

Now, it is true that ***some*** digital bands have a signature sound, because they innovate with the drum machine, as opposed to trying to emulate the percussions section. Carimi and Micky are two obvious examples of bands that do things that are difficult to accomplish with a human percussion section. Hopefully, Carimi will continue pushing the envelope and make their new percussion section something very special.

DJ Pepla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think it is very good for the HMI in term of people worldwide seeing the quality of compas music from the world most popular Haitian group instead of someone pressing a button and letā€™s their be sound. If that button goes wrong on stage, letā€™s there be no sound.

I was listening to an interview of Richard Cave of CaRiMi, he said I think they went to Olympia for a festival and saw how the crowd was going crazy over the drum and the band that was playing, looked more appropriate for a festival. He went further and said that as a joke he didnā€™t even feel like going on stage with the digital. It is safe to say from an experience person that digital is not the way to go.

DJ Kreyol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thats my issue....

I dont like when bands sound all the same. I think that was one of the main reason, why FULL bands became less popular.

In order for this movement to work, you need DIFFERENT styles and SOUNDS, because if it doent happen.

Im gonna put all my money and stocks in the NEXT digital band... Laughing

DJ Pepla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DJ Kreyol wrote:
Thats my issue....

I dont like when bands sound all the same. I think that was one of the main reason, why FULL bands became less popular.

In order for this movement to work, you need DIFFERENT styles and SOUNDS, because if it doent happen.

Im gonna put all my money and stocks in the NEXT digital band... Laughing

DJK
I will call Farenheit because they need someone like you to sponsor them. Remember you said all money and stocks. Laughing

DJ Kreyol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PepLa,

Wap metem nan cho.... Laughing

No comment

Leon Azul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DJ Kreyol wrote:
I think that was one of the main reason, why FULL bands became less popular.

With all due respect, I do believe you'll find a lot more variety in the different styles and "touches" of human beings than you'll find in a sample library...

Large ensembles became less popular for two interrelated reasons:
ā€¢ education
ā€¢ economics

Peace,

paul

Mexkompa Roots

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

}}}

It is absolutely the best thing that could have happened to Haitian music.

The Digital era was a cultural suicide. It set back Haitian music 10 to 15 years behind in the international arena. It stopped the development of Haitian music and nearly killed the very Haitian Flote tam-tam, Haitian horn players and actual musicians.

I can mention at least 8 wonderful full bands in the Miami area that die because they could not do enough business to support a full band format. (Kazak Ekzperinas, Eklips, et all....) The advantage of the digital bands was grotesque and in turn they never really do anything to help the industry. Digital bands only had to travel with 2 or 3 guys and basically no instrumentation, only their cd player was needed to play it on stage because that was digital music basically. Full had to fly lots of guys and lots of instruments and who was getting all the money?

Because the Digi bands were so popular people lost interest in learning instruments as a career option. Who would go and learn how to play horns, drums, gong or congas when there was no need for them? We are still feeling the effects The damaged will take another 5 to 10 years to be resolved. As we speak horn players are foreign in most Haitian bands because a Haitian horn player became a RARITY. Thanks in great part to that nasty format. How bad is that for this industry?

In the International arena festival producers were shocked and flabbergasted to received proposals for participation from Haitian bands (which everyone knows Haiti has a huge African influence) WITHOUT A DRUMS. It was the equivalent of having a margarita without tequila or a taco without a tortilla. This was well documented in our work in Mexico where festival producers totally and completely and blatantly refused even to acknowledge proposals of digital bands and instead went with the less popular Haitian bands but that they feel represented better this culture; read FULL BANDS.

All in all, I am glad the nasty thing (cursed be its name / throw some holly water on it) its so dead. We went through 10 years of hell but there is a God in heaven and a light at the end of the tunnel.

Conclusion. > The worst thing to ever happen to HMI was to give birth to this twisted child, the best thing his dead.

Mexkompa Roots.

We have won. The HMI have won. ā€˜ Nā€™AP BAT TANBOU JISKA SOLEY LEVEā€ > Tounen Lakay (Carole Demesmin)

jeancelestin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, i think the battle is over. Not only full bands are winning the battle, but also the war. Se sa li yer et se sa li tap toujou yer. I like to see real human being playing, not machines.
bravo to all the those groups who are trying to come in the full band school.

NEGKREYOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We can still have the same variety with full band as we had with the digital bands... Remember, I am a big fan of DIGITAL KOMPA! but the art was loosing its essence...

Fox exemple: K-DANS, DJAKOUT, ZENGLEN, NU-LOOK all sound different.

My guestion is for a band like CARIMI: are they going to be able to keep their R&B/KONPA style with a full band format. trop travay man.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: