KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

PHANTOMS "OXYGEN": OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE REVIEW!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: PHANTOMS "OXYGEN": OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

Here is the official Kompa Magazine CD review for PHANTOMS new CD which we received from RUDOLPH on FRIDAY.

*DANGER: Previously released track from many months ago, possibly over 1 year old. I have no idea why they used it as the kickoff track being that it's been out for a minute. Having said that, this song is a banger that I loved when it was released, and still do. Should have been a hit when it was released before. ELEKTRA's appearance (CASSANDRA that is) on this track is a song stealer. PHANTOMS CLICKS on this track.

*DIFE: They went looking for the world beat sound on this track. ELEKTRA shines again on this track, and the beat is actually very nice. Will NOT do anything for the Compas masses, nevertheless can possibly catch attention on the world beat scene.

* SO SORRY: They went back to the same Phantoms formula used for their last hit "Don't U Know I Love U". The lyrics and music are on point to set itself up to make an impact. Very good hit potential, however, does the public still care about Phantoms to pay attention to this track? The public did not do "DANGER" justice, and we are afraid that this song will also suffer the same fate. We hope not.

*1ER JANVIER (With BEETHOVA OBAS): The vocal exchange on the song between those 2 brilliant artists (Kino and Beethov) is fun to listen to, backed up by GREAT MUSIC and a STRONG MESSAGE about Haiti. Reminiscing about "HOME" and being part of its rebuilding process. The HORN work on this track is EXCELLENT, and so is a piano solo delivered on there. This song is what I call a "MUSIC LOVER's" track.

*INI MINI MANI MO: Another nod towards the world beat scene, however with more of a ZOUK flavor, sounding like VOLT FACE among others. The voice effect on SHARON's voice on the track is a bit too much, but that did not stop me from enjoying the song. A track made for CONCERT. PURE COMPAS LOVERS will probably skip this track.

*KIDNAPPING: If radio in Haiti supports this very controversial track, IT CAN BE HUGE. "SON LA RI" tag and strong vocals by KINO are there for it to make a huge impact, but it might be a bit TOO HOT TO HANDLE for certain radio stations in Haiti that tend to lean on the conservative side. A line like "BOURGEOIS VOYE AL KIDNAPE ELEVE" among others, will ruffle some feathers in certain sectors. The guitar on this track is sick. COMPAS LOVERS will eat this one up like sweet candy.

*ALE: Another song where GOOD MUSIC takes priority over the COMMERCIAL aspect of the song. If you love good music that is not necessarily commercial, you will love this track. Sharon shines on the vocals and so does the music, but there is no commercial prints on this track for the masses. I loved the DOG BARKING EFFECT at the end indicating that TI FI A LAGE CHIEN DEYE NEG LA POU LI ALE.

*ALL I NEED: This is one of the best songs on the CD, if not the best. It has a HYBRID POTENTIAL that appeals to BOTH the MUSIC LOVER, as well as those craving for the COMMERCIAL "SON LA RI" aspect of a track. Great INSTRUMENTATION on this track.

*LA MIZE PA DOUS: Song about the perils of the people in Haiti. Promises made by politicians that remain unfulfilled. Song is made to appeal to those that are suffering. There is a SAXOPHONE in the song that almost steals the whole tune.

*M'DAMOU: Another foray into making beautiful music instead of commercial. SHARON once again shines on this one.

*BONDIEU BENI: KINO gives a salute to his comrade musicians, and calls for the man above to bless them. NICE COMPAS TRACK accompanies the music, and it also features TOP ADLERMAN.. Includes a rant about 'PROMOTEUR KI PA PAYE MUSICIEN, BOOTLEGGERS and more.

*OXYGEN: Title track talking about structuring the industry. It basically mocks those of us who MIGHT believe that there is something called an HMI Industry. The music on this track has no resemblance whatsoever to the Phantoms that we know or are used to. That is a good or bad thing, depending on whom you speak to. SOLID TRACK if you ask me.

*ABA SATAN: This is a PURE COMPAS WORKOUT BLASTER with Kino warning those that are talking bad about him. VERY VERY COMMERCIAL TRACK with a great sense of SON LA RI A. This is a track that can do very very very well ON RADIO and LIVE. It's the MOST COMMERCIAL TRACK ON THE CD. It is actually a nice song to finish the CD with, and it actually could have been a great move had it been the first track on the CD. NASTY NASTY GROOVE in there.

NOTES: This is PHANTOMS best "MUSICAL" CD in terms of MATURITY and EXPANSION. We are NOT talking about COMMERCIAL or HIT SONGS. We simply mean that they showed a musical side of themselves on this CD that I have not heard on any of their other CDS. They did NOT give you the typical PHANTOMS...but for those who appreciate GOOD MUSIC, they DELIVERED REALLY WELL on this one.

*Those that are looking for another HIT CD like "PA BOUJE" will "NOT" get it here. This is NOT a pure COMPAS CD because on this one, the group is experimenting with new beats and sounds, trying to expand their market reach. Good or Bad idea....Remains to be seen. Even though you have 3 or 4 tracks (Mostly the KINO tracks) that have the COMPAS "Lakay" flavor to entice the hardcore Phantoms and regular Compas lovers.

*This CD looks and feels like a KINO and JENSEN "SOLO" PROJECT in which both came together with 5 songs each and put them together to make a PHANTOMS CD. Actually out of the 12 songs on the CD, only 1 of them has nothing to do with Kino and Jensen. The CD cover actually features ONLY THE TWO OF THEM...so that's a major statement in itself, even though the other members are featured elsewhere on the CD booklet.

*KINO's vocals still very strong and my 2 favorite SIGNATURE LINES from KINO that I love to hear are still there on a few of the songs. We are talking about "JUICE" and "I FEEL GOOD".

*JENSEN on this CD has earned my respect as a true talented musician based on the compositions that he has on this CD. He is not just a Compas composer/Producer.

Having said that, with PHANTOMS needing to make a comeback if they are serious about it, was this "experimental" CD the best recipe for the band to have out right now, or would they have been best suited to go the commercial route all the way FULL SPEED AHEAD?

Only JENSEN and KINO know...so we'll see what happens.

I enjoyed the CD on the first listen...but then again, I don't only enjoy Commercial stuff, as I am a fan of good music as well....unfortunately, you have many fans on the market who only love tracks that are COMMERCIAL.

KM!

sexy black

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Pat, i look forward to buy one.

CAP - PORT MARGOT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Pat, bel review.

You said that
"NOTES: This is PHANTOMS best "MUSICAL" CD in terms of MATURITY and EXPANSION. We are NOT talking about COMMERCIAL or HIT SONGS."

I thought they would come out with commercial stuff since they are making a comeback, I expected very very commercial stuff like "Ti Poule la", an "Pa Bouje"

M pral achtel

diasporadyol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanks pat going out to get mine

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RICKY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My favorite tracks off this cd are Aba Satan, Oxygen and So Sorry. Don't sleep on phantom just yet guys

belfam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great review i am hearing very good review
so far good luck phantoms i will get it this weekend

BABYFACE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thx for the review Pat.

HARMONIKER FOR LIFE

Originalsemwen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

anmweyyyyyy men djazz mwen an.

I like the review, but I remember Pat, when Kino had released his solo CD back then, you had a great review of the CD, but many people didnt like it, but I did. So, I know from your review, I am going to like this new CD. I haven't purchased any CD in a longggggg time, but I am definitely going to get this one. as i am a crazy phantoms fans.

The other day I saw Kino hanging out at a place on Fort Lauderdale beach, i quickly asked him about the CD, he said it's coming and it's going to be good. I just can't wait to pick it up.

With all the things i am going through right now, this is going to be the right oxygen for me.

G54life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was shocked I could not believe my ears Very beautiful CD indeed

Lola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, Pat....what a thorough, objective and thought provoking review. Bel bagay!!
I like how you categorized the songs... compas vs. world beat vs. son la ri...etc. and commercial vs. just for compas lovers.

(I love the "Hybrid" category... where did u get that from???)

My favorites are Danje, Aba Satan, Ale, M'Damou....actually I like them all because each evokes a different mood.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: