Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: HMI World
|Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:08 pm Post subject: TI EDDY VIAU OF T-VICE: THE KOMPA MAGAZINE INTERVIEW!
|Here is an interview that we conducted with T-VICE's gongist EDDY VIAU. CHECK IT OUT.
*1) How did you get started in the HMI? We know that you were part of HANGOUT, but how did you end up being part of the band?
TI EDDY: I guess by hanging out with my dad and rulx (manager of hangout) at their record shop in miami and always listening to kompa, I always said it was luck that i became part of hangout..When it didn't work out with Zagalo and me always being around the guys, they came to me and said if i wanted to try out. With a lot of practice the job was mine.
2) Do you think the GONG player is an important member of an HMI band? Some people think it's an easy instrument to play. What are your thoughts?
TI EDDY: The gong player is a very important member... I useD to think that it was an easy instrument to play also, but trust me it is not. To me the gong is the centerpiece of a HMI band.
3) What are the differences that you have seen/experienced in terms of HANGOUT compared to T-VICE, whether it's from a business standpoint, to a playing standpoint?
TI EDDY: T-vice is a well respected and disciplined band all over they go. When i was part of hangout, we were an up and coming band so things were a bit harder. Playing wise they are not that far apart but T-VICE plays a little bit more uptempo and attracts a younger crowd.
4) Many remembered that you were actually close to joining CARIMI. Why did that deal not go through?
TI EDDY: At the end, I just wasn't ready to move to New York.
5) Describe a frank analysis of TI EDDY's personality in terms of people that don't know you. The GOOD and the BAD?
TI EDDY: I'm a very shy person. I love to have fun.
6) Who is your idol in life? Why?
TI EDDY: My grandfather is. I guess that's where I got the love of music from. He was a trumpet player, he played classical music, and directed the orchestre philharmonique at sainte trinite in Haiti for more than 20 years. He was my best friend.
7) Your MUSICAL idol is.... ? Tell us why.
TI EDDY: Bob Marley.....he had the ability to move and control the crowd with his powerful words.
People that don't know me and judge me from afar will say WHAT about you?
TI EDDY: That I'm conceited.
9) Do you think you were chosen for T-VICE's gong playing role STRICTLY on your gong playing abilities, or do you think that the fact that some ladies might think you are easy on the eyes, just might be part of the reason as well? In other words, marketing purposes.
TI EDDY: I think it was both. In every business there has to be some sort of marketing, also me having skills had a part because no one can just get up and play in T-vice.
10) Your brother was all set to become a member of Harmonik, What happened, and why was he left off the team?
TI EDDY: From what I understand at the end it just wasn't gonna work out.
11) A quick description of the following members of T-VICE if you had to say ONE WORD to the fans/public about them.
TI EDDY says
ROBERTO is a "DIPLOMAT".
REYNALDO "BIG BROTHER"
GERALD "SOFT SPOKEN"
TI WES LAYED BACK"
12) Do you think fans make LOOKS and SKIN COLOR an important issue in the HMI or not? Please explain.
TI EDDY: Not really. I think as long as the people on stage are playing good music that shouldn't matter.
13) What is the personal MOTTO in life that you live by?
TI EDDY: Let go and let GOD.
14) Should we expect a song from you on the next TVICE CD or not?
TI EDDY: You should expect me to give 100 percent towards the album, not nesccesarly a song from me.
15) The BEST EXPERIENCE that you remember being part of as a member of T-VICE so far? What about the WORST EXPERIENCE? Tell us why?
TI EDDY: MY best experience was my first year in carnaval with t-vice. I was so amazed to see all those people and how Berto was controlling the crowd. My wrost experince was us not making it to a gig due to our flight being cancelled to due bad weather.
16) Should the U.S stay or get out of IRAQ? Why?
TI EDDY: Get out. 7 years and what have we accomplished?
17) Will the dreads be staying for awhile, or do you plan to get rid of them sometime soon?
TI EDDY: They will be staying for a while. It what makes me "ME".
1 Would you prefer that you be seen by the ladies as a very good gong player/musician, or as a lady magnet IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE ONE?
TI EDDY: I would prefer to seen as a very good gong player/musician.
KOMPAMAGAZINE CONTACT INFO
Phone: (646) 529-5735