KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

KALIKO: THE KOMPA MAGAZINE INTERVIEW (HMI PEOPLE)!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> HMI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: KALIKO: THE KOMPA MAGAZINE INTERVIEW (HMI PEOPLE)! Reply with quote Back to top

In the HMI, he is known as KALIKO. Gerald Firmin as the owner of Marabou Cafe, Record producer of a major label, top HMI party promoter, and top dog of the INDYFEST, is known as one of the top dogs in the HMI.

In this edition of "HMI PEOPLE", we talk to KALIKO....because EVERYONE HAS A STORY!

1) For those of us that don't know, can you tell us how you got started in
the HMI?

KALIKO: First, let me introduce myself to the board. My name is not Kaliko, my name is Gerald Firmin. Hi everyone! Pat, I started in the HMI about 7 years ago. A couple of friends of mine that live in FL years before I moved down there approached me to put together a party promotion business and I said ok and I have been going since then.

2) Why did you choose to go in the music production business after having
already jumped aboard the party promotion business, and club side of things?

KALIKO: I love music so much, there is nothing that I would not want to do when it comes to that business. BTW, I did not choose to do the music production part of the business, people came to me and asked me if I want to give it a try and I said why not.

3) Are YOU one of the top players in the HMI since you have a club, are a
very prominent party promoter, have the INDYFEST, and are also a record producer?

KALIKO: I think that I'm a player but not sure if I'm one of the top yet. There are a lot of things that I'm working on, not sure if you are aware of the new club project that I'm currently working on, which is on top of my priority list right now. Then try to better structure my music production CO. After doing all that and also put INDYFEST at a different level, I will let people decide if I'm one of the top or not.

4) The state of the HMI right now as of OCTOBER 2008. Is it very good,
average, or are we in critical/dangerous position? Please explain.

KALIKO: I think, the HMI is in an average position right now because there are still a few good parties being done. But I seriously think all the bands are in needs of new materials except for NU lOOK for the moment.

5) What made you decide to start INDYFEST, especially since there was
already COMPASFEST established in Miami and in the HMI?

KALIKO: I did not decide to start INDYFEST, a good friend of mine for whom I have a lot respect for in the HMI came to me one day and said to me " Gerry why don't you put together a Fest?". I said ok and I went to Kompa Factory to join me to make it happen.

6) In terms of HMI FESTIVALS, where would you rank INDYFEST? Number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or...

KALIKO: I would rank INDYFEST maybe the 3rd FEST IN the HMI.

7) What is your opinion about FORT LAUDERDALE FEST happening on the same day as COMPASFEST in 2009?

KALIKO: Pat, I don't want to comment on that.

Cool What is the most successful party that you've had under your umbrella of party promoter?

KALIKO: The most succesful party that I have had was with DJAKOUT MIZIK when "LA FAMILIA" first came out and DJAKOUT was absent in MIAMI for a good 4 months du to Visa issues.

9) Tell us about your KASSAV deal, and if you think now is the right time to do such a thing, since especially in the Haitian community, many people feel that their best days are behind them?

KALIKO: I have a very good relationship with them right now. I purchased the production rights of the their new album in the US and HAITI. I don't think their best days are behind them. These guys are living legends man. When I saw them for the first time last year, I was just wowwww.

10) To some/many, your business partner TI MICHEL of Tropidisc is a hot
potato. Why/How has your business relationship been able to work with him, since he seems to be public enemy number 1 to many?

KALIKO: Pat, I learn how to deal with anyone. I have a very good relationship with him. Besides business, Ti Michel is a good friend. We respect each other. I think in this kind of business, Ti Michel and I can be a good combo.

11) Your opinion on what went down between him and Roberto Martino?

KALIKO: I was very very vey mad @ Ti Michel when it happened because I told him not to do anything stupid but he let his temper get the best out of him.

12) Sources tell KM that you are in negotiations with both CARIMI and TVICE for their next CDS. What can you tell us about that?

KALIKO: I would love to add them in my catalog.

13) TRUE or FALSE...Your relationship with Djakout is no longer the same
that it was, let's say 2/3/4 years ago. Are you losing them in terms of
representation in Miami, to your rival Noel/Cecibon?

KALIKO: Listen man, I love DJAKOUT and the 99% of the guys know that. I was not told by anyone that I'm losing them in terms of representing them in MIA. I still have a strong relationship with DJAKOUT but I think sometimes in every business, everyone has to look out for themselves.

14) Is the HMI currently going through a recession "Klorox" phase or not?

KALIKO: I think so. I think recession or nor the HMI will never be the same as it used to be 10 years ago.

15) What is the motto that you live by in business/life?

KALIKO: Honesty

16) Is the market in Haiti still the most important in the HMI in your
opinion? Why/why not?

KALIKO: I don't think Haiti is still the most important in the HMI because in my opinion FL and NYC are as much as important.

17) The HMI personality that you respect the most in the business is.....(Tell us why)

KALIKO: I would say Fred Paul because from I learn he has accomplished things that not too many people in the HMI are even aware of.

1Cool Do HMI bands have a right to be jealous or feel less important when they say that HMI promoters such as yourself and Noel/Cecibon tend to treat foreign bands such as Kassav like royalty, compared to how THEY are treated?

KALIKO: I don't think so.

19) If you were to retire in the HMI today, what do you think you would be
best remembered FOR?

KALIKO: For being who I am and who I will always be.

20) Any final words?

KALIKO: I thank you. Pat for giving the opportunity to let all the KM members and readers know who I'am and what I'm all about.

(Conducted by PATRICK DESVARIEUX for Kompa Magazine)

ILandfaces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Gerald is a very laid back dude you never seen this guy on stage on trying to show off and i greatly admire that about him. Thanks for the inteview Mr Patrick.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
neg_montreal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Bien édiké et intèlijan!
Bon bagay!

Montréalais et Jérémien pour toujours

"Pa suiv mwen, mwen jwenn kòb monnen sou dlo" Gazzman Couleur

bigwilly81

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BEL INTERVIEW AS ALWAYS KM
DJAKOUT #1
APA NOU TE NAN MENM BATO BEBET!! LOL
ESKE'W SET RECORD DEJA SOU KM??

DJ KOMPA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BON BAGAY WI MR KALIKO

GAZZMAN COULEUR:I want to be clear about one thing “I AM Nu Look”

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kattdakitten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I sense a strong dose of humility from the interviewee. Im a sucker for a humble soul. He sounds like he is a great friend because many of his projects(well accorcding to this interview) seem to be conceived because of a friend's suggestion or invitation! Hmmmph! Continued success to you Sir!

lakay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ouchhhh Pat, U fail to ask Kaliko the Million $ question, oh well maybe next time.

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LAKAY

Too bad the question that you are talking about MESSED UP THE INTERVIEW that I have here FOR YOU.

Next time I will do my best to please YOU....forget everyone else. Wink Rolling Eyes

OOPS....

KM!

daphnee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

THANKS Pat...good interview Very Happy Very Happy

I've always liked Kaliko...cool dude and about his business..I wonder what new club venture is he talking about though..is it in NY or FL??? I hope NY Cool

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BABYFACE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thx for the interview Pat.

HARMONIKER FOR LIFE

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> HMI All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: