KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

TI MICHEL: THE KOMPA MAGAZINE INTERVIEW (HMI PEOPLE)!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> HMI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: TI MICHEL: THE KOMPA MAGAZINE INTERVIEW (HMI PEOPLE)! Reply with quote Back to top

MICHEL JEAN BAPTISTE (TI MICHEL) has been in the HMI for years. He is simply a mystery to many who follow the HMI from afar, but to those in the business, he is an HMI warrior. For the first time, TI MICHEL talks in depth about his career in the HMI as record producer and more.

"HMI PEOPLE"....Because everyone has a story.

(INTERVIEW conducted by PATRICK DESVARIEUX for Kompa Magazine)

1) TI MICHEL....What can we expect from TROPIDISC/TROPIKAL Records in the upcoming months on the CD front?

TI MICHEL: We are working on a few projects. We are releasing the Shabba and Friends around Musique En Folie. We are also working on the STIL Live CD. We have started to record the new Zenglen Live album. We are also working on our release calendar for 2009. I am interested in releasing some World Music album. I will be releasing some Zouk CDs. We are also working on our distributor network outside of the HMI.

2) Is there still money to be made as an executive record producer in the business in these times of bootlegs and music downloads?

TI MICHEL: I believe that there is still some money to be made even in this rough business environment. We will be focusing our effort on the legal music download platforms. We will also start effort to do music placement in the film world. We are looking at the ringtones business. We are looking into a viable product for the HAITI market. The way to go forward is the 360 degree contract.

3) The state of the HMI currently as we speak in your opinion is.....

TI MICHEL: In my opinion on the retail side the worst that it has ever been. In terms of talent there is a lot of emerging new talent. On the legal aspect of the business gen plis dezod ke jamais.

4) What is so far the best selling CD in your catalog?

TI MICHEL: I got to say so far the Tantan “Pam Pam Pam” and Daan Junior ‘Di’m Sa’w Vle”

5) Is there a CD in your catalog that you thought was going to do well, that for one reason or another, did not meet your expectations? Please explain the answer.

TI MICHEL: I usually look at the worst case scenario and account for that when we go into a deal. Therefore we reach our expectations.

6) Are you after CARIMI's upcoming fourth studio CD, and if "YES", how close are you to signing them?

TI MICHEL: To be honest, we would be interested in producing Carimi’s upcoming CD. I believe that most producers Haitian and Non-Haitian that are producing Kompa or Zouk would be interested. They offer a lot of upside. There is much to be accomplished with Carimi. I can not tell you how close we are to signing them. I honestly do not know.

7A) Your ADMIRERS will say what about you?

TI MICHEL: The people that know me will tell you that I put my self-esteem above everything. M’ap toujou on Kamikaz. I have got to be able to look at myself in the mirror. They will tell you that I am loyal. They will tell you that I am a hard worker.

7B) Your DETRACTORS will say what about you?

TI MICHEL: Mwen resevwa yo, jen yo vini a.

Cool Do you regret the encounter that ensued between you and Roberto Martino at Marabou?

***CHOSE NOT TO RESPOND TO THE QUESTION***

9) Who is the HMI personality that you respect the most? Why?

TI MICHEL: I have got to say that it is Fred Paul. The work that he did speaks volume. What Mini Records means around the world.

10) The biggest problem facing the HMI today is.....

TI MICHEL: I think that the biggest problem is the legal aspect of the business. I believe if we do not wake up sooner rather than later, n’ap gen plis pwoblem .

11) Who is your MUSICAL "IDOL"?

TI MICHEL: I have to say that Barry Gordy of Motown.

12) Do you think you are unfairly judged at times as a guy "searching for respect" any way you can get it?

TI MICHEL: The only people that I want to be respected by are my family members. I can tell you that I am not looking for respect from anybody in the HMI. Moun ki panse ke m’ap cheche R.E.S.P.E.C.T fek fe fot.

13) How devastating was DABENZ's departure to the 5 ETWAL project? Your thoughts on DABENZ?

TI MICHEL: Dabenz's departure was a major blow to the project. I believe that he is a very talented individual and I will leave it at that.

14) Why has NU LOOK, almost 1 year after the release of their new CD, not released any music videos? Is it your record label's fault?

TI MICHEL: I can not answer that question. My record label did not release Nu-Look’s CD. I am the wrong person for you to ask that question.

15) Do you believe that KREZI will become a TOP 3 HMI band any time in the near future?

TI MICHEL: Yes, I believe that Krezi can become a Top 4 HMI band. They are only a hit away from becoming a top 4 band.

16) Do some Haitian bands neglect the importance of the Antilles market, or is the Antilles market simply a "HYPE" that really does not do too much for a band?

TI MICHEL: Some bands do neglect the importance of that market. Bands need to understand that once you have been accepted in that market W’ap mange tout res vi’w. This summer Freres Dejean played the Antilles. Djet-X was also there. There are band that we are not even aware of that are doing well there in terms of CD sales.

17) How do you explain the way you have been able to survive in this business for so long? Give us the secret?

TI MICHEL: I believe that my survival is based on hard work and knowledge of the market place. I stay hungry. I am always open to go a studio and listen to any project. I believe that my love for music plays an important part as well. Last but not least grace ak neg en haut a. lol

1Cool How does one get their foot inside the HMI house and become "RELEVENT"?

TI MICHEL: You have to have some start up fund. You got to work hard. You got to stay hungry. You have to have goals.

19) The top 5 bands in the HMI according to you are....

TI MICHEL: To me there are 4 top bands:

Nu Look, Carimi, T-Vice and Djakout. To me many bands can claim that 5 spot.

20) Top 5 "POWER PLAYERS" (Big Dogs) in the HMI today are...

TI MICHEL: Noel & Cecibon

Kaliko Productions

Nouvel Jenerasyon

AD Mizik (Paris)

Jean-Claude Adrasse

DJ KOMPA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TI MICHEL SA WOOO SOME OF HIS ANSWER JUST AMAZE ME....THANKS PAT AN JEAN MICHEL.....

GAZZMAN COULEUR:I want to be clear about one thing “I AM Nu Look”

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DJ KOMPA

OK...ELABORATE...Which answers are you talking about, and what do you want to say about them or anyone of them in particular.

WE NEED DETAILS MAN...or else we won't know what you are talking about.

KM!

TOTOVICE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting interview!

Very direct and to the point if you ask me. He seems like a very direct guy , i wonder why he opted not to comment on his altercation with Roberto.

Thanks Pat.

TOTOVICE
BOSTON UNITED TOU TAN!

DJ KOMPA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kompamagazine wrote:
DJ KOMPA

OK...ELABORATE...Which answers are you talking about, and what do you want to say about them or anyone of them in particular.

WE NEED DETAILS MAN...or else we won't know what you are talking about.

KM!

SOME OF HIS ANSWERS ARE JUST TOO DIPLOMATIC...THAT'S ALL...

5) Is there a CD in your catalog that you thought was going to do well, that for one reason or another, did not meet your expectations? Please explain the answer.

TI MICHEL: I usually look at the worst case scenario and account for that when we go into a deal. Therefore we reach our expectations.

I THINK HE SHOULD JUST NAME A BAND BUT HE DID NOT....

7B) Your DETRACTORS will say what about you?

TI MICHEL: Mwen resevwa yo, jen yo vini a.

12) Do you think you are unfairly judged at times as a guy "searching for respect" any way you can get it?

TI MICHEL: The only people that I want to be respected by are my family members. I can tell you that I am not looking for respect from anybody in the HMI. Moun ki panse ke m’ap cheche R.E.S.P.E.C.T fek fe fot.

DENIER QUESTION SA YO PWAL FE BOD LAN CHO 19) The top 5 bands in the HMI according to you are....

LI TE KA METE ZENGLEN POU Fè 5EME LAN

Kaliko Productions

Nouvel Jenerasyon

AD Mizik (Paris)

Jean-Claude Adrasse

REPONS MISYE YO SI TELMAN DIPLOMATIC MWEN PA FOUTI BAY OPINION LADAN YO....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DJ KOMPA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TOTOVICE wrote:
Interesting interview!

Very direct and to the point if you ask me. He seems like a very direct guy , i wonder why he opted not to comment on his altercation with Roberto.
Thanks Pat.

TOTOVICE
BOSTON UNITED TOU TAN!

GEN DE QUESTYON OU PA REPONN SE NAN PYEJ WI Y'AP LAGE W....

preciousgirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ti michel is a bandi legal.

MINGOLOVE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TI MICHEL: THE KOMPA MAGAZINE INTERVIEW (HMI PEOPLE)! Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
19) The top 5 bands in the HMI according to you are....

Kaliko Productions

Nouvel Jenerasyon

AD Mizik (Paris)

Jean-Claude Adrasse

I completely agree with Ti Miochel when it comes to his answer to # 19.

There are only 4 top bands in the HMI.

Kreyol-La, Krezi, and Zenglen are the closest to the # 5 spot.

If Kreyol-La or Krezi released a very good album with one major hit and a buzz song, that can make it. Zenglen just missed the opportunity with their new CD. Should Zneglen new album have a major hit and with Da-Benz addition, the group could have easily become the 5th

As for # 20, I only agree with some of Ti Michel's choice, not all.
The views/opinions that I express on KM are strictly and solely those of MINGOLOVE, the HMEI personality, and should not be associated in any way with my membership in any other fields nor be held against me in any matter not related to entertainment.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bigwilly81

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BEL INTERVIEW PAT...
DJAKOUT #1
APA NOU TE NAN MENM BATO BEBET!! LOL
ESKE'W SET RECORD DEJA SOU KM??

tropidisc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DJ Kompa_ Reponsmen yo pa diplomatic, they are from an HMI point of view based on facts, that many fans do not deal with. Mwen di jan bagay yo ye. Si mwen tap fe diplomasi se pa konsa mwen ta repon kestion KM mande'm yo.

Where words fail... music speaks

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> HMI All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: