KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

RAFRECHI: THE KM INTRODUCTION INTERVIEW!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM UNDERGROUND
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: RAFRECHI: THE KM INTRODUCTION INTERVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

They hail from MARYLAND, and with the release of their latest single "ESKE", people are starting to pay more attention to them. KOMPA MAGAZINE interviewed RAFRECHI (Micky Walker) to see what the "real deal" is about the group.

1) Tell us a bit about the group RAFRECHI and how you guys got together?

RAFRECHI: Rafrechi really started with our current managers John B and Wooley gathering up some local musicians to jam. They had Cedryc, Kiki and Gary and had a pretty good thing going. At the time, Trankill was playing in the DC area with Jean Gardy and I until Sweet Micky scooped Jean Gardy up to be his guitar player. When Gardy left Sweet Micky about a year later, he and I went to a Rafrechi practice to jam with the guys. We had such great chemistry that we joined the band within a week. Mario Germain (former DP Express bassist) joined soon after. The rest is history!

2) What style of music would you categorize yourselves as playing? If you were to choose a current HMI group on the market that you sound the closest to, who would it be?

RAFRECHI: Since everyone in the band comes from three different generations, the mixture just brings a new flavor of Kompa. We have tried to incorporate an R&B flavored Kompa groove with a mellow, siwell touch. I feel that it’s different than most of the kompa out in the streets now.

2A) You guys are based in Maryland, that's not exactly an HMI hotbed with no disrespect intended. Will that be a disadvantage?

RAFRECHI: Of course we have a disadvantage because there aren’t as many Haitians in this area when compared to New York or Miami. The biggest problem is that there are no real promoters in the area willing to look for a good, steady location for a Kompa band to play. If we had a nice local club to play at every week we could gain a much larger fan base here which would eventually create a buzz in the HMI.

We are working hard despite this setback and won’t let it stop us. I feel that we have a good product and the public will like it! From there we will prove ourselves live!

3) You guys know how hard it is for a new band to break into the market. What makes you guys think that you might be the CHOSEN ONES?

RAFRECHI: I don’t know that we’re “the chosen ones”, but I know we have a good product to offer. We are a band that will appeal to many people, young and old, and I hope that will help us lure the right people in the business to back us up… We are going to be sending CD’s to all the big promoters and producers and hopefully they will see something there and be willing to take the initiative to help us advance!

4) Do you believe that the HMI public gives a fair chance to unproven/new bands? Why or why not?

RAFRECHI: I believe it about a 50% split. You have those who give groups constructive criticism and then you have those who want to do nothing but bash new bands. If someone doesn’t like a certain artist or song, that’s all good but give a reason why.

5) Your musical influences are.....

RAFRECHI: Man- I have so many. Ansyto definitely tops the list along with Fabrice R., YuYu, Mario Germain, my father, Reginald Policard, Makarios, Nicky, and many more. As far as drummers are concerned, Shedly and Richie top my list. The HMI has and always had many amazing musicians, most of which never got the respect and admiration they deserve.

6) Convince a fan that knows nothing about your group WHY they should give you guys a chance to win them over.

RAFRECHI: I would tell that fan to give us a chance because it’s time for a new flavor in the HMI. Harmonik did a GREAT job bringing a new flavor to our beloved Kompa, and I feel we have the ability to do the same. Take time to listen to our CD before you push us to the side only because we’re new- you might just be pleasantly surprised.

7) The state of the HMI in 2008 according to you is.......(Fill in the blanks). Tell us why.

RAFRECHI: The current state of the HMI is a bit volatile. It becoming a huge money maker and people are beginning to realize it. You have way too many people trying to become promoters or producers without any background in the industry. We need only the best in order for our music to ever have a chance to eventually cross over into different markets. We also need a few risk takers to open up nice Haitian clubs to hold parties. Let’s stop making foreign club owners rich and keep the money with our people!

Cool Final word.

RAFRECHI: First I would like to thank you for giving us this opportunity, congratulate on your more than successful career and wish you success in the future. If there is anything we can do for you just let us know. As for the fans, we want to thank them from the bottom of our hearts for their patience, love, and support. We promise them that we will not disappoint them and the new album that is coming out in November of 2008 is a tribute to all of them. I look forward to seeing them in our next Rafrechi event

KM!

Rj production

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i think this band have a lot of potential they just need market themselves a little bet more but they are good in studio and even better live can wait to catch you guys next performance

1Lov'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very informative interview. a KM trademark! (KM Pat, bon Bagay as always)
Quite enjoyable, well done.
I wsih Rafrechi all the best. It's not going to be easy, please make sure you have the necessary back-ups such as( Yon manager ki kon'n sa la fe', yon manager ki saj, ki chaje ak kontak,)and best of all
Rafrechi will need to focus on Rafrechi.
Good luck and keep on rockin'.
PS, "ESKE" the single is very Good, I like it and I'm hard to please.
Peace

" KM" 1Lov's Hometown Newspaper..

Staff Poze 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

1-I want to say that I's so proud of you Micky....very good answers.
I would like to add that Micky mentioned his father but not a name...his dad Georges Walker was a member of Les Shleberts, a mini jazz out of Petionville, and the first mini to appear live on T.V in Haiti (Tele Haiti)...the Walker Brothers are all great musicians in Maryland but they play in Spanish bands.So Mickey grew up in a house where music is king. He had his debut with Zepon live on stage at the age of 12. Mickey can play the bass/guitar/keyboard/drums...he is a musician that you have yet to meet...He is also a good sound engineer.

2- In case you wonder who are in the picture...
From left to right :
John Benjamin (J.B): logistic /sound engineer
Jodnerson Pierre (Kiki): Lead Singer
Cedric Lafontant: Keyboard
Garry Bruno: Vocal
Micky Walker: Drums/Keyboard

1Lov'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

STaFF PoZé wrote:
1-I want to say that I's so proud of you Micky....very good answers.
I would like to add that Micky mentioned his father but not a name...his dad Georges Walker was a member of Les Shleberts, a mini jazz out of Petionville, and the first mini to appear live on T.V in Haiti (Tele Haiti)...the Walker Brothers are all great musicians in Maryland but they play in Spanish bands.So Mickey grew up in a house where music is king. He had his debut with Zepon live on stage at the age of 12. Mickey can play the bass/guitar/keyboard/drums...he is a musician that you have yet to meet...He is also a good sound engineer.

2- In case you wonder who are in the picture...
From left to right :
John Benjamin (J.B): logistic /sound engineer
Jodnerson Pierre (Kiki): Lead Singer
Cedric Lafontant: Keyboard
Garry Bruno: Vocal
Micky Walker: Drums/Keyboard

Thank you for the the update. I guess MICKY was a bit too humble about the WALKER Family Legacy. Go ahead, be Proud of your family Micky.
As always leave it to the Profesor for acuracy.
Thank you
Peace

" KM" 1Lov's Hometown Newspaper..

Staff Poze 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wait till you see the video....
like I said there is a cyclone coming out of Washington and it is heading your way......
Some should brace for cover.........others will look for shelter........

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM UNDERGROUND All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: