Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: HMI World
|Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:20 am Post subject: HARMONIK: OFFICIAL SONG BY SONG KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW!
|Here is the SONG BY SONG official Kompa Magazine CD review for the HARMONIK CD.
1) INTRO: Nice futuristic intro with a movie soundtrack feel saying "WE COME IN PEACE" as if they are from another planet landing on the HMI earth. Very original.
2) HARMONIZE'M: CARIBBEAN flavor catchy intro to the song to kick off the cd. It has a party "Let's have fun" theme that gets you in the mood to party and keeps it moving. Nothing special with the lyrics, except it does the job of introducing the band. Can sell the band and the song with a nice colorful party music video. A song to round up their "FANATIK OFFICIEL".
3) TRUE LOVE: Acoustic guitar intro catches your attention right away. THIS IS THE SONG THAT I'VE BEEN REWINDING OVER AND OVER ever since I received my copy of the CD. The ROCK guitar just before the "INI MINI MANI MO" is enticing, but what really steals the song is that keyboard part/groove (Repeated at least 3/4 times in the song) just before that catchy "Sha La La La La" melody part. ANMWEY.....THAT ONE IS SICK and has me addicted to this track. I simply can't get it out of my system. This song is simply amazing. I am not sure if it will be a hit because it MIGHT not have enough "LA RI" to get all aboard, but it will be the favorite of many on the cd. It is currently my favorite track on the CD. That keyboard part can become a LIVE signature of the band.
4) HO PARLEUR: Song with the best intro on the CD in my opinion, simply because of the futuristic sounds. Dedicated to Harmonik/Nickenson critics. The firs track on the CD where they show some "LA RI" groove, and that one WILL work at bals. It will also be a radio (Compas Direct format) and bal favorite.
5) SA PA BON: Nickenson's vocal improvement is BEST DISPLAYED AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS TRACK. The vulnerability displayed in his voice in this "DECEPTION/TRAHISON" theme song is touching. He actually MAKES YOU BELIEVE that he is or has been hurt by that FRIEND that he is talking to in the song. SANDERS has a nice groove "LA RI" in there as well. THE MOST HIT READY SONG ON THE CD for bals and radio.
6) KONSEKAN: KASSAV like concert keyboard intro that serves notice with the guitar grooves displayed by SANDERS. Another COMPAS CHOFFE track that clearly showcases that they CAN bring the GROOVE LA RI.
7) DIM' KISA POU'M FE: SANDERS vocals brings in another flavor on this track in a positive light. I love when he expresses himself with that "ZANTRAY MWEN KAP PALE" part. Very catchy track that will hit the mark with quite a few.
OBSEDE: MAC D's vocals are well showcased here in this adaption of a POP song that I can't quite remember. ACOUSTIC INTRO IS B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. They should have kept the whole song like that, instead of branching into the Compas beat. Don't get me wrong, the song is still good with the Compas beat, but had they kept it acoustic all the way, it would have been different, instead of just another Compas/pop adaption.
9) FANMALITE: The other SUREFIRE HIT READY SONG on the CD. If you loved the mega hit "ZANMI", this will be your jam as well. It is the same formula musically and vocally. The topic will be a hit with the ladies.
10) JERE'M: First ingle released by the group. The beauty of this track is how the VOCALS just FLOW and blend nicely into each other...that includes Background vocals. When it gets to the JEREM' chorus, it simply takes you to another level. A music lover's deligth. Beautiful artistic music with a touch of commercialism.
11) SE PA POLITIK: Nice message song with a fantastic guitar solo by talented DENER CEIDE. Some will call it a filler song, but there is nothing in the song that suggests that. Powerful message track on a mellow beat.
12) MY WOMAN: Track composed to attract another market. TECHNO COMPAS flavored song sung in English that hopefully should get airplay at clubs in Paris, English speaking African countries, and perhaps the Antilles.
13) PLEASE LOVE ME: This POP, yes I said POP song surprised the sh*t out of me from the music to the vocals. It showcases how talented Nickenson and Mac. D are when they can branch into another musical arena and not embarrass themselves. They actually did good in my estimation. You just simply never know which MAJOR RADIO station around the world might start playing this track, and from there it can become a favorite in another market....then if NICKENSON and MAC are members of SACEM....you never know. Like the LOTTO says, YOU GOTTA BE IN IT TO WIN IT...and they are clearly TESTING the waters of other markets with this track.
14) YOUR SECRET: Nickenson flavored catchy track that was released over a year ago, sung by Nick's right hand man Dener Ceide.
BOTTOM LINE: HARMONIK scores a home run with this STUDIO CD. From new sounds, new flavors, keeping a popular mega hit formula, they simply delivered a KICK ASS CD that will catch many people's attention.
YES, you will have COMPAS DIRECT PURISTS saying that the group lacks a bit in that department in terms of the number of songs that are like that. They will even call them soft, but CARIMI encountered the same criticism when they came out with their first CD. Having said that, MUSIC LOVERS WILL EAT THIS ONE UP, and will keep rewinding this cd over and over again.
With a CD like this, HARMONIK can proclaim that "THEY COME IN PEACE" all they want, but I guarantee you that IF THE GROUP DELIVERS "LIVE", other HMI bands will BE ON ALERT/ ON GUARD when it comes to this group. HARMONIK has served a notice to the HMI with this studio CD, now it's all about delivering LIVE.
EXCELLENT DEBUT CD! BRAVO!
KOMPAMAGAZINE CONTACT INFO
Phone: (646) 529-5735