KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

GYPSIES PICTURES/REVIEW OF N.Y REUNION BAL AT SOBS!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> PARTY PICTURES/PHOTO GALLERY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: GYPSIES PICTURES/REVIEW OF N.Y REUNION BAL AT SOBS! Reply with quote Back to top

Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ANMWEY.....ANMWEY.....ANMWEY.....ANMWEY.....ANMWEY....ANMWEY...

Do you have any idea what it's like to see THE FANS KNOW "EVERY SINGLE BREAK" or adlib" in every single song that a group plays LIVE...sometimes breaks that even the musicians in the band have either forgotten, or are simply just SHOCKED to see that THE FANS are reciting or indicating every break?

That was the atmosphere last night at the First GYPSIES Reunion in New York at SOBS. THEY PLAY TONIGHT IN QUEENS AT MANGOVILLE.

GYPSIES went through quite a few of their classics on their famous catalog such as "PRIYE", "LA TULIPE", "CASSA CASSA CASSA", "LA NUIT TOMBE", "AZAKIDAM KELELE" and more, and had the crowd in the palm of their hands from the very first note.

GYPSIE members ROBERT MARTINO, TICO PASQUET, MAX BADETTE, SINSIN, WILLIAM JEAN, and impressario PIERROT AL-KHAL (Doing chorus duties), were joined by NIXON MESINOR on the bass, and VANEL PIERRE on the congas and proceeded to tear the roof off of SOBS. They certainly brought back so many great memories to the fans that were at the club last night.

YES, there were instances where MAXO forgot a couple of the lines on a couple of songs, only to have THE FANS come through with their chants. but ON THE MUSICAL FRONT, the band was ON FIRE....especially ROBERT and TICO. MAX BADETTE's voice is still GOLDEN after all these years.

The band had SOUND PROBLEMS, mostly or the first set, which prompted Robert to bolt the stage briefly (10/15 minutes) for them to fix the sound, then when he and the group returned....THE ATMOSPHERE PICKED RIGHT BACK UP.

ROBERT and SINSIN's guitar work (2 guitars) SIMPLY AMAZING.

I LOVE GYPSIES DE PETION-VILLE's music A MORTTTTTTTTTTTTT Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SIMPLY one of the best imprints that the HMI has left in its history.

Here are a few pictures that we took from last night's festivities.

KM!

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In the house were YANVALOO, JAY BROOKLYN, NENEVICE, KONPA ROCKERS, BENNY BLANCO..PIPIRITE...It was good seeing and talking to all of you.

WE HAD A GREAT TIME!

KM!

Last edited by kompamagazine on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

konpa rockers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanx for sharing... KM.... Cool
we had a ballllll.... Very Happy Very Happy
also you forgot Benny B.... Very Happy

yanvaloo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Couldn't have say it ...or do a Review any better and for those that think Pat is misleading you guys... video are coming up ....

wow ... simply amazing....

Allo Nenevice...Apa Djazz la vini san Keyboard Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ti Moun oooooooooooooooooooooooo

Haven't had so much fun in a long time ...thanks and thanks again...

Mi'm ti bagay la pita..ak Tabou..

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nenevice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

no dyol to tok ...... running late 4 work Razz
later on Mangoville min'm ti bagay la viv Gypsies.. woyy yo pran'm Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jbrandma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to see those pics-thanks Pat. It was a great time.

Staff Poze 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Which one is Jay Brooklyn......?

I'm glad that they are doing this tour.....I wish I can catch them one of these days.....
Glad to see Sinsin and Bob....mwen konnen anpil kout guita tombe.
To play guitar in a mini you have to be real good because the guitarists lead all the songs...no keyboard/no horn...
I'm glad to see that some young konpa lovers get to experience the coalescence Robert Martino/Reynold Nader (Sinsin) one of the best ever in the history of Konpa. My favorite is still Guy Rosemond/Daniel Samedi of Samba Creole...we also had Ti Polis/Ti Claude Marcelin which didn't last long and much respect to Ronald Smith/Reginald Benjamin who did wonder in System Band.
Kudos to Pierrot...I know that's a dream come true for him....

georgino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kompamagazine wrote:
In the house were YANVALOO, JAY BROOKLYN, NENEVICE, KONPA ROCKERS, BENNY BLANCO..PIPIRITE...It was good seeing and talking to all of you.

WE HAD A GREAT TIME!

KM!

you forgot jbrandma

pipirite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It was to see you all last night!!!

Se pa jwèt non, Pat enjoy tèt li nèt ale yè swa.... it was nice to see Pat having fun... Greg, it was nice meeting you too...

People, if you are tired of the current HMI state, go to Mangoville tonight...

You will not only see a band that survived 40 years, which is at least 20 times the live of an average band now.... and they survived with class and professionalism...

You will also witness the essence of the beginning of konpa... the mini jazz... driven by the 2 guitars!!!! It was simply marvelous to see!!!

Robert Martino... this is the real legendary guitarist who played last night.... the Robert Martino from Top Vice and later is nothing like the talent I heard last night!!! Everyone should witness what Robert is all about at least once...

Sinsin... just flawlessly complemented Robert all night long.... it was nice to hear some nice graje gita... no rythm guitarist use that technique anymore in our skill challenged industry of now...

Tico was on fire all night... you could see he was having the time of his life last night... just attacking ht drums like only he can do....

Max Badette... the dude looks great!!!! He aged very gracefully... and his voice did not change at all!!! I miss his voice terribly... it was nice to hear it last night!!!

I PLEAD YOU ALL TO WITNESS THE ESSENCE OF KONPA TONIGHT!!!! Go have a blast!!! it may be from the past, but you will not regret it!!!

P.S. Jay Brooklyn and Yanva, it was great to see you guys!!!

jbrandma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

georgino wrote:
kompamagazine wrote:

WE HAD A GREAT TIME!

KM!

you forgot jbrandma

Lol, thanks Georgino! The band was great last night...the congas player played with such passion, I was really impressed by him.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> PARTY PICTURES/PHOTO GALLERY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: