KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

WHY IS IT HARD FOR BANDS/ARTISTS TO SHAKE SOME TAGS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: WHY IS IT HARD FOR BANDS/ARTISTS TO SHAKE SOME TAGS? Reply with quote Back to top

There are artists/bands in our community that have simply been LABELED, and for one reason or another, it is simply impossible for them to shake off these tags. Some took years before shaking off labels that were put on them as well.

CARIBBEAN SEXTET was tagged as a "DJAZZ BOURGEOIS" because they used to play most of their gigs in Kenscoff at L'auberge.

DEGA is tagged a djazz kap jwe "POU PLEZI" because their leader Carl Fred is alledgedly well off financially in Haiti. The same can be said to a certain extent about MIZIK MIZIK because I have heard people say the same thing about them.

TVICE was tagged as "you know what" for a long time until they finally shook off that rumor "Mouch nan lait or lait nan kafe" or whatever sa li te ye a.

TABOU was labeled a political band because of something that alledgedly transpired with the politics or a politician in Haiti.

BOUKMAN was labeled as a "JAZZ REBEL" because they seemed to always stand up against the people in Haitian goverment

I tell you, sometimes it is very very hard for artists/bands to shake off tags once it's been branded on you.

KM!

FUNKY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat i think paske haitien pa janm bliye......and yo toujou pran tout bagay a coeur Rolling Eyes

PhizUniq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Funky,

I dont agree with you with that "Haitian" thing. It's universal.

A simple example...
When people are teasing you, they are calling you names, then you get mad... Ahh enben non an tou ret pou ou!

That's how most people get their nicknames.

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Phizuniq...Because you get mad by a name people call you...the name stays?

Ah mon cher. You can come out with a better argument than that mon cher. Cool

KM!

FUNKY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PhizUniq wrote:
Funky,

I dont agree with you with that "Haitian" thing. It's universal.

A simple example...
When people are teasing you, they are calling you names, then you get mad... Ahh enben non an tou ret pou ou!

That's how most people get their nicknames.

Phiz My bad..I agree and i can see where u coming from....but since Pat gave haitians exemple like vice-Tabou...that's why i put haitian first...but i totally agree...it's HUMAN in general that has that kind of thinking... Wink

En Vogue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat, it’s this say about: “your first impression is your last impression.†So, whatever the band/artist is debut with that’s your tag. It could take along time to get rid of such tag.

PhizUniq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kompamagazine wrote:
Phizuniq...Because you get mad by a name people call you...the name stays?

Ah mon cher. You can come out with a better argument than that mon cher. Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pat, ou pa janm wè sa rive? Especially at school, whether you get mad or not, it happens man! Cool

Now back to the topic...

Most of the times, the tags they give you are because of the perception they get from the band/artists or something that happened within the band.

If you perform more for the mass, they will call you "Djaz Pèp."

If you do for the upper classes, you are a "djaz bourgeois" or "djaz plezi."

Now if it's good for you, you use it to your advangtage. If it's negative towards you, you will try to write if off.

I don't think it's just an Haitian thing. It's human!!!

DJ Pepla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think it falls within the pattern of whatever you perceive to be in the eye of the public, that’s what they label you. If most of your hits are love songs, society label you “Djazz fanm†because for some reason gason pa ka pou on djazz ki chante love. Example: CaRiMi and Djakout. CaRiMi, “Djazz Fanm†Djakout, “Djazz Gason.†Also, most of Djakout lyrics are about what the people are going through in Haiti; hence “Djazz Pep La.â€
Most of Tabou’s musicians were involve in politic at one point, hence “Djazz Politician.†If you repeatedly say a quote, the fans might label you that too; hence Konpa Kreyol: “Djazz La Jeneusse La.†I think the pattern the group chooses to take that’s what the fans will label it.

Machiavel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I woke up this morning thinking of the very same thing. No band has the worst reputation that my beloved band, System. I won't even repeat the associations that they've put on System.

Haitianone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Once the public gets an impression about you, that is how you will always be identified with. It is human nature to be like that. That does not mean someone could make the mold but it would require demonstrating something different and a lot PR work.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: