Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: HMI World
|Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:23 am Post subject: TANTAN MACHANDIZ LA CD: THE OFFICIAL KOMPA MAGAZINE REVIEW!
|Here is the SONG BY SONG REVIEW of TANTAN's new cd "MACHANDIZ LA". KM STYLEEEEE!
1) MACHANDIZ LA: The title track is a great kick off track for the CD. It has an insatiable SON LA RI sound that makes the song HIT POTENTIAL. The guitars by DIDI SANTANA, as well as the keyboards flow extremely well on this song. Special guest rap by TOP ADLER on the song does not deliver the usual song stealing performance by the rapper, but does the job not to mess up the flow of the song. A part "Ouve Kow Baby" has a CARIMI signature on there, but this track is pure Tantan that just might give him the follow-up hit song to 'Pam Pam Pam". This song is RADIO and BAL friendly. This track does the job in getting you hyped up for the rest of the cd. UPTEMPO BANGER.
2) BABY GIRL: The thing that I don't like about the song, is exactly what might make a lot of people like it. To me, the chorus "I NEED YOU KNOW" in the way that it is sung is TOO SIMPLE. I am used to beautiful and original choruses coming from TANTAN, but on this compas love track, he took the simple route with a very simple chorus that is easy to remember. The chorus will NOT blow your mind, but it will do the job of getting stuck in your brain, even if you try to forget it. Also that chorus reminds me of a song from another artist that I've heard before.
3) SISTER: With this track, as with the first one on the cd "Machandiz La", it is very clear that TANTAN is going for a MORE SON LA RI SOUND with a couple of his tracks, to appeal to a wider market. Thsi song might not be a RADIO HIT right away, but it is purely crafted for it to succeed on the LIVE circuit, and believe you me, if they play it as well as it is relayed on that CD, it will do damage on that LIVE scene when TANTAN and OLE play it. I like that "FANM MWEN BON" chorus. LAPORTE and ROBERT MARTINO are on the chords for this song.
4) JE TE VEUX: "This is one of my favorite tracks off the cd. It grabs you from the beginning and never lets go. A nice mellow sensual catchy compas love track with very high hit potential. Towards the end, it drags a little bit. The song is perhaps 30 seconds to 45 seconds too long, but it still does not take away from it.
5) HEY DJ: Second single released from this CD to promote it. The beat has a FRENCH/ZOUK CLUB teaser feel to it at the beginning, and also, there is a chorus in there similar to one that I've heard before somewhere else. The CHIPMUNK voice adds a very nice touch to the track that flows very well. This track is a club/Live bal circuit banger for sure.
6) SIL BON DIL BON: The intro is very funny. You hear the sound of a bed mattress in action when 2 people are making love. Thsi song has one of the best VOCAL performances by Tantan on the CD His vocal skills come through nicely on this one. The only part that I thought was not needed on the track was the "Min Bon Juice...Vin Pran Bon Juice', but despite that, the song has a DREAMY, HONEY, SIWOMIEL sound to it that just gets to you in a positive way. Sil Bon Dil Bon..OUI..LI **** BON TOUT BON. One of my favorite tracks on the cd, and I suspect it will be to many people as well. The song towards the end is so good, that like a good lovemaking session, you don't want it to end.
7) 1 DOUCE 1 CHO: Beautiful intro voice. It is a beautiful song to dance and listen to, BUT my concern is IT MIGHT GET LOST ON THE CD because of the other tracks.
FREAKY FRIDAY: This is something different as TANTAN continues to flirt with his R&B aspirations. Believe it or not, TANTAN can actually push this track WITHOUT ANY SHAME at American clubs, especially in Miami/South Beach. It is also a nod to Haitian Americans. If I were TANTAN, I would take a chance and just for the hell of it, do a music video out of his own pocket (I doubt the producers would choose this one to push in terms of video) and see what happens.
9) SEXY: Tantan's willingness to not be afraid to mix other genres with Compas is one of his musical appeals. The beginning of this track will catch your attention in more ways than one. I am also counting the line of "I'M IN THE MOOD FOR COCO". (lol) The song is a nice song. It might NOT be a hit song, but you will enjoy it.
10) I JUST WANNA: Another forray into R&B land. This track might tempt you to call TANTAN the HAITIAN R.KELLY. The track is good, but will the Compas fans give it a chance? Will they be turned off by Tantan adding 2 R&B tracks on the CD? Will some give it a chance? A suivre.
11) FET LANMOU: Catchy track that did not have the impact that it was meant to have when it was released as the first single a few months back.
12) YOYO: THIS IS A MUSICAL GEM. For the MUSIC LOVERS, this song will be your favorite track on the CD. I am NOT talking about those that only love Compas. This song has a superb intro with an ARABIC FEMALE VOICE. That song is totally different, which makes me love it even more. The drum programming on this track is SICK. One of my favorites on the CD, if not my favorite. I love it NOT because of its commercial appeal, but rather for its originality. The song is about TANTAN resigned to the fact that he is getting played by a girl, and despite that, because of his love for her, he is willing to continue with her, as long as he does NOT know for sure that she is playing him. "Wap banm ratement...Pa Gin La fumin san dife". Thsi song is amazing in every way, and you feel TANTAN's pain and resignation in his voice.
13) GONNA MISS YOU: The song that TANTAN released as a tribute to his Mom.
14) LI PA DAKO: The song has great potential RADIO and LIVE, but MIGHT get lost on the CD because of other songs. I can tell you that if they explore it LIVE TO THE FULLEST, it can become a monster. The LI PA DAKO chorus is very catchy.
All in all, MACHANDIZ LA has a LOT of goodies to appeal to many. Tantan did a smart move by adding MORE SON LA RI tracks to his repertoire WITHOUT going as far as alienating the fans that have been supporting him with the style that made him famous. I would love nothing more than to see TANTAN suceed LIVE WITH A BAND in order to push this material and others in his catalog, because I am getting tired of TANTAN just releasing a great STUDIO CD, and then packing it in until the next one comes out.
The artist DELIVERED THE GOODS on this CD and then some. YES, MUSICALLY SPEAKING for the whole cd, he has topped his last PAM PAM PAM CD. Now will he have a song that will be just as big a hit song as PAM PAM PAM on this CD, he certainly has at least 3 or 4 THAT HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO DO THAT, let's see what the PUBLIC decides.
TANTAN'S NEW CD ROCKS!
KOMPAMAGAZINE CONTACT INFO
Phone: (646) 529-5735
Last edited by kompamagazine on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total