KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

SHOUBOU.CARLO VIEUX.SHEDLEY ON MUSICIANS/VAGABONDS TAG!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> ASK THE HMI STARS!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: SHOUBOU.CARLO VIEUX.SHEDLEY ON MUSICIANS/VAGABONDS TAG! Reply with quote Back to top

We asked SHOUBOU, CARLO VIEUX, and SHEDLY ABRAHAM to tell us if they believe that tag of "MUSICIANS ARE VAGABONDS" still exists in our society like it did before. This is what they each told me.

SHOUBOU: "THAT TAG IS GONE. LI PA GINYIN LI ANKOR. Because of bands like TVICE and CARIMI and others that have shown that they CAN make a living off of music, it is no longer the same. Parents now see that we can actually make a living off of music."

SHOUBOU continues: "What is also VERY IMPORTANT is the fact that EDUCATION must still be there at the core. I encourage the musicians to continue pursuing their studies, even if they are making a living off of it. That's why I have a lot of respect for a band like CARIMI, those guys continued with their studies despite the success. That's why a band like TABOU COMBO with Kapi, Shoubou, Fanfan, we can express ourselves in English, Spanish, French, and Creole, therefore we can express ourselves well in many different countries that we play in. To answer your question, the musicians are vagabonds tag is GONE from our society."

CARLO VIEUX (Carimi):"Everyone has their own opinions. Some opinions will NOT change. What can you do. All we must do is agree to disagree in terms of the people that have different opinions on the subject."

SHEDLEY ABRAHAM: "The musicians from the past did NOT help matters in terms of having our society have a good opinion of musicians. They certainly did a lot to help put that label on us whether it's with drinking, drugs, or other matters. I think it's unfair for people that are able to bring so much joy to many to be classified as vagabonds, but that's our society. To answer your question, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Bagay yo pa change nan societe nou a."

KM!

philosophenoir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

shedly has a valid point if you ask me.

Growing up i heard musicians used to sleep around with different females....wherever they go to poerform....which i think they still do. Musicians would have tons of woman in different cities.......the level of alcohol was very high.......they would answer some good looking fans prayers...... by sleeping with them...

some had babies nan tout pwen kadino.

Shoubou is more mature in terms of experience and of music...his answer is golden. no need to comment on that......

I don't think that there is musician who can say that......well let me go even further....a musician to swear that he never slept with a stranger while on tour.

this is not something that i can prove...this is a statement out of pure ignorance....but the musicians can't prove it either....so i guess we are all in the same boat.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daphnee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOUBOU.CARLO VIEUX.SHEDLEY ON MUSICIANS/VAGABONDS TAG! Reply with quote Back to top

kompamagazine wrote:
We asked SHOUBOU, CARLO VIEUX, and SHEDLY ABRAHAM to tell us if they believe that tag of "MUSICIANS ARE VAGABONDS" still exists in our society like it did before. This is what they each told me.

SHOUBOU: "THAT TAG IS GONE. LI PA GINYIN LI ANKOR. Because of bands like TVICE and CARIMI and others that have shown that they CAN make a living off of music, it is no longer the same. Parents now see that we can actually make a living off of music."

SHOUBOU continues: "What is also VERY IMPORTANT is the fact that EDUCATION must still be there at the core. I encourage the musicians to continue pursuing their studies, even if they are making a living off of it. That's why I have a lot of respect for a band like CARIMI, those guys continued with their studies despite the success. That's why a band like TABOU COMBO with Kapi, Shoubou, Fanfan, we can express ourselves in English, Spanish, French, and Creole, therefore we can express ourselves well in many different countries that we play in. To answer your question, the musicians are vagabonds tag is GONE from our society."

CARLO VIEUX (Carimi):"Everyone has their own opinions. Some opinions will NOT change. What can you do. All we must do is agree to disagree in terms of the people that have different opinions on the subject."

SHEDLEY ABRAHAM: "The musicians from the past did NOT help matters in terms of having our society have a good opinion of musicians. They certainly did a lot to help put that label on us whether it's with drinking, drugs, or other matters. I think it's unfair for people that are able to bring so much joy to many to be classified as vagabonds, but that's our society. To answer your question, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Bagay yo pa change nan societe nou a."

KM!

Shoubou...I applaud your efforts in encouraging some to pursue their education but that doesn't necessarily equate to them expressing themselves eloquently.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
black jojo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Si nou pwan yon mizik CARIMI n'ap jween repons la e sak fe Carlo reponn konsa: ''SAK FET NAN CARIMI RET NAN CARIMI'' tet chaje HMI.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Angel_Smile1982

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Vagabond 4 life! 4 life! I think it’s nice that Shoubou is looking at this Musician Stigma in a positive way but People still consider them vagabonds. A lot of people don’t know what kind of education these musicians have unless they do their research. And some of the music the musician are creating nowadays portrays a vagabonds imagine.

I know some of them are good people but it’s all about the imagine and actions.

yayad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dapre pe Shadly ansien mizisyen yo se k@k@ klerin yo ye, kraked....
mantim fe...... Rolling Eyes

1Lov'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Somevery very interesting Comments. a lot can be learned from it one.
Shoubou decided to cite some examples of how things may have changed or help remove that Tag. (I was not too convinced myself!)
Carlo made it cappear as if it's up to the Individual musician to carry himself or herself in a Positive way and no matter what people will love or hate.
Shedly sounded like a man who has seen too many bad examples by the previous generation and that has him a little scarred until he has concrete proof that the current Generation has been doing better to erase that Vagabond Tag.
Peace

" KM" 1Lov's Hometown Newspaper..

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't understand what sooboo tried to do here.

being educated doesn't mean ou pa vagabond.

ou gen dwa yo vagabond abiye eduque oui fre'm.

Like I said before...that tag will stay because it is not a stereotype...it is true.

musician se vagabond...they are very appealing to women and they are on the road a lot so of course y'ap gen fanm tout kote.

there are always exceptions to the rule...but for themost part that's how it is.

CAP - PORT MARGOT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They aint paying your bills homey, who give a rat's ... they're just jealous,k go hit on their gf lol

malfrending4life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well done shedley

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> ASK THE HMI STARS! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: