Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - OLD SCHOOL VS NEW SCHOOL
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

OLD SCHOOL VS NEW SCHOOL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owen1055

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: OLD SCHOOL VS NEW SCHOOL Reply with quote Back to top

OVER THE THANKSGIVING WEEKEND, MY DAD AN I GOT INTO A LITTLE FRIENDLY DEBATE OVER KOMPA. MY DAD CLAIMS THAT THE TALENT LEVEL IN THE HMI HAS GONE DOWN, EVEN WITH THE ADVANCEMENT IN MUSICALTECHNOLOGY. THE MUSICIANS NOW DO HAVE BETTER INSTRUMENTS AND MORE MONEY, BUT HE CLAIMS THAT BAND ARE WORSE TALENT WISE THAN EVER. HE CLAIMS THAT HE CAN PICK ANY ONE OF THE TOP BANDS FROM HIS GENERATION, AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO BEAT ANY BAND FROM MY GENERATION. HE EVEN GIVE ME SYSTEM BAND AS A NEW GENERATION BAND.

OLD SCHOOL NEW SCHOOL

* TROPICANA SYSTEM BAND
* SEPTEN ZIN
* TABOU ZENGLEN
* SKASHAH T VICE
* BOSSA DJAKOUT
* DP EXPRESS NU LOOK
* SCORPIO CARIMI
* FRERE DES JEAN SWEET MICKEY N HIS BOYS
*COUPE CLOUE (GROUP) D ZINE

HE CLAIMS THAT NOT EVEN ONE OF THE BANDS FROM MY NEW GENERATION LIST COULD STAND UP TO ANY OF HIS LIST OF BANDS OF S FROM BACK IN THE DAY WHEN THOSE BANDS WERE AT THEIR PRIME. I TRIED TO MAKE THE ARGUMENT THAT ZENGLEN IS A WAY BETTER BAND THAN SCORPIO.

DO YOU GUYS BELIEVE THAT MY DAD IS RIGHT? WHY?

pwen_de_jou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes.

REASON #1: A lot of those impressive grooves that you hear new generation bands using are actually dumbed-down versions of the classics. From my experience, Scorpio, DP Express, Tabou are the greatest victims.

REASON #2: The bands from the old days were usually trained musicians. Even if they started off as a hobbyist, later on they would get training. Nowadays you get a group of amateurs that got together for fun. There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but I can't think of any modern konpa musician going overseas to train or having a coach that they meet with on a regular basis. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

REASON #3: The older bands didn't have digital mastering to fix their mistakes or to get something to sound fancy. They just had their instruments.

In all honesty, though, of all the groups that have the POTENTIAL to become legends, Zenglen and Nu Look are at the lead. Don't ask me why. It's just a hunch from what I've heard so far.

MC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Owen your dad is absolutely correct. Its not only the sound but the lyrics as well that've gone down the drain. Kompa has been diluted by all the hip hop nonsense. Listen to any Bossa, Skah Shah & Tabou (even Phantom... pre Kino's political aspirations) CD then pop in one of the new generation CD's you'll see the difference.

LeMoMo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think your father has a generational problem. I think he confused them.

The first thing I would do is put a date of birth next to the band and influences. Some are a continuation of another for example>
System is Freres Dejean.
Dp came from Difficile (if I remember)

owen1055

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LeMoMo wrote:
I think your father has a generational problem. I think he confused them.

The first thing I would do is put a date of birth next to the band and influences. Some are a continuation of another for example>
System is Freres Dejean.
Dp came from Difficile (if I remember)

My day is not saying that all the new are terrible. His claims is that when you compare them to the old bands, they don't stand a chance musically.

kafou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a Matter of Give an Take.

Musician Longtemps yo te ginyin plis Obstacles, yo te view yo as Vagabon, and the Country was very Less supportive of them, insead Chansonette Francaise happened to be much more popular than compas back in the days

Generation sa sipote Konpa plis, nou pi Solidaire avek li, epi se 2 epok different.

Generation Longtemps te plis jwe avek Patition, egal fok ou te kon lire mizik pou te ka keep up avek djazz longtemps yo.

Example Tropicana, Frere Dejean, Skahshah are one of the most Complex groups in terms of song writting, di'm poukisa li diffisil pou ninpot djazz interprete music djazz sa yo, Les Frere dejean te just off the chain.

A LA MANIERE DE MIZIK LAKAY
" OU DI OU CHAJE KLAS, ENBIN POUKISA OU PA ALLER FE LEKOL AVEK YO"

Ret Sezi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Owen, as a young guy myself I got to admit that your Dad is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. The new generation bands are playing for entertainment, but if you really need to get some great Kompa grooves, Old School is the best. We have a long way to go. Some have made progress though, the likes of Nu Look, Zenglen and some others at times.
Two prese pa fe jou louvri...

Dr.Mizik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: OLD SCHOOL VS NEW SCHOOL Reply with quote Back to top

owen1055 wrote:
OVER THE THANKSGIVING WEEKEND, MY DAD AN I GOT INTO A LITTLE FRIENDLY DEBATE OVER KOMPA. MY DAD CLAIMS THAT THE TALENT LEVEL IN THE HMI HAS GONE DOWN, EVEN WITH THE ADVANCEMENT IN MUSICALTECHNOLOGY. THE MUSICIANS NOW DO HAVE BETTER INSTRUMENTS AND MORE MONEY, BUT HE CLAIMS THAT BAND ARE WORSE TALENT WISE THAN EVER. HE CLAIMS THAT HE CAN PICK ANY ONE OF THE TOP BANDS FROM HIS GENERATION, AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO BEAT ANY BAND FROM MY GENERATION. HE EVEN GIVE ME SYSTEM BAND AS A NEW GENERATION BAND.

OLD SCHOOL NEW SCHOOL

* TROPICANA SYSTEM BAND
* SEPTEN ZIN
* TABOU ZENGLEN
* SKASHAH T VICE
* BOSSA DJAKOUT
* DP EXPRESS NU LOOK
* SCORPIO CARIMI
* FRERE DES JEAN SWEET MICKEY N HIS BOYS
*COUPE CLOUE (GROUP) D ZINE

HE CLAIMS THAT NOT EVEN ONE OF THE BANDS FROM MY NEW GENERATION LIST COULD STAND UP TO ANY OF HIS LIST OF BANDS OF S FROM BACK IN THE DAY WHEN THOSE BANDS WERE AT THEIR PRIME. I TRIED TO MAKE THE ARGUMENT THAT ZENGLEN IS A WAY BETTER BAND THAN SCORPIO.

DO YOU GUYS BELIEVE THAT MY DAD IS RIGHT? WHY?

May I ask your dad what audience will they be performing for? I think the key to answer this little puzzle may be revealed by taking the audience into account....

Take skasha at its prime put them in front of our current generation of "balgoers", noone would care about them. Take Djakout/t-vice right now, put them back in the 80 or 70, they will probably be shot on stage.

In sum, your dad is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG,WRONG,WRONG AND WRONG. Yes, the new bands can stand up to any of the old ones

croixdesbouquets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Corect me if i'm wrong but i listen to old school kompa a lot bass la toujou 1,2 battery a menm i don't know...neg llongtemps yo d'apres mwen yo te plus anfom nanjwe guitar ak lirik te gin plus bon chanteur tht's it

diasporadyol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dr mizik wrote
May I ask your dad what audience will they be performing for? I think the key to answer this little puzzle may be revealed by taking the audience into account....

I think your wrong partner
every time an old school band
play at a venue witness by
youngsters they always wanna
catch an encore
they all will say "mwen pat konnin granmounn yo te kon jwe konsa non"

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: