Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - The United States National Anthem....
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

The United States National Anthem....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweet kowompu

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quand j'ai demandé mes papiers pour l'immigration, they asked me how many points I had at the TOEFL, If I could speak english properly Idea
American english is still the official language, having a lot of people speaking spanish in the country doesn't mean that the official language has to change.

Chachou

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

trackmaster wrote:
The thing i don't understand, how come when people Immigrate to Canada, they are forced to Learn Either English or French. And their's no way out of it. Here In the U.S. anything goes....

Well that's not totally accurate Track, to become an American Citizen you must show the ability to understand and speak English unless your are I beleive 72 or 70, I don't recall.

By the way, America although a melting pot of cultures and countries still has its identity to preserve. That's what makes it a great country it embraces and give people the opportunity live the "American Dream" while also attempting to incorporate it's ideals into those people. Let's face it, once you live in America it is hard to adjust to most other countries. Like it or not America has rules and protects your rights. Albeit at times you have faux pas such as Louima, etc. but overall America is a country where one can rest assured to eventually get justice or their day in court. That's alot more than I can say for my own country Haiti where the court rules epuis chef la declaré li poko pret pou li release the prisoner Rolling Eyes

"The Brightest Future will always be based on a forgotten past, you can't go on well in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches." Anonymous

Xcel

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Track,

Ou ap tue'm oui la Laughing

Let me ask you this question. Do we have a second language in this conutry? if yes what is it? LOL

trackmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet kowompu wrote:
Quand j'ai demandé mes papiers pour l'immigration, they asked me how many points I had at the TOEFL, If I could speak english properly Idea
American english is still the official language, having a lot of people speaking spanish in the country doesn't mean that the official language has to change.

Official language
An official language is a language that is specifically designated to be so in the constitutions of countries, states, and other territories. (States and areas without a constitution, by this definition, lack official languages.)
Half the countries in the world have official languages. Some have only one official language, such as Albania, France (although there are more native languages in France), Germany or Lithuania. Some have more than one official language, as Belarus, Belgium, Canada, Finland, Afghanistan, Paraguay, Bolivia, India, Switzerland and South Africa.

In some countries, such as Iraq, Italy and Spain, there is an official language for the country, but other languages are co-official in some important regions. Some countries, such as the United States, have no official languages, but there are official languages in some US states (See Languages in the United States). Finally, some countries have no official languages, such as Australia, Eritrea, Luxembourg, Sweden or Tuvalu.

As a consequence of colonialism and/or neocolonialism, in some countries in Africa and in the Philippines the official and learning languages (French or English) are not the national languages or the most widely spoken. In contrast, as a consequence of nationalism, in the Republic of Ireland Irish, although spoken by only a small proportion of people is the state's national language, and the first official language. English, the spoken language of the majority is described only as the second official language (Constitution of Ireland, Article Cool.

boulevardestubes

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Technically, Trackmaster is right. There is no official language in the United States. As a matter of fact, English is considered as the de-facto language. On a Federal level English is not constitutionally known as the official language, although everything is conducted in English. However, some states in the US have declared some languages as official, such as Spanish, Hawaiian etc. Also, don't forget that the US is the fifth country in the world with Spanish speaking population. So it may be valid for them to have the national anthem in Spanish.

Chachou

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it is valid for any country to change their national anthem because of a high population of immigrants. That is absurd. Evil or Very Mad

"The Brightest Future will always be based on a forgotten past, you can't go on well in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches." Anonymous

boulevardestubes

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If we are really arguing on behalf of this country, English is not valid as the official language. English-spoken people are immigrants as well, just like the Spanish . Navajo which is one of the survived language by the native should be declared as the official language if we are going to be very technical about this.

Sweet kowompu

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In which language are you filling your taxes Trackmaster Laughing
The decision of a state/governor, is not for the whole country.
As far as I know until Washington DC decide of something else, you're going to speaking american english for a long time.

In fact do you speak spanish? Idea and do you think that that spanish-speaking population cannot speak english?

Chachou

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

boulevardestubes wrote:
If we are really arguing on behalf of this country, English is not valid as the official language. English-spoken people are immigrants as well, just like the Spanish . Navajo which is one of the survived language by the native should be declared as the official language if we are going to be very technical about this.

Usually the language a country conducts its business is what most people consider official language. You may have variations as in Haiti where most people speak Kreyol but the official language used to be French until Aristide changed that. Most African countries also have an official language yet they speak various types of dialects.

English is taught as the primary language in schools and business is conducted in English therefore in my eyes English is the official language. If you DON'T want to assimilate or you don't care to learn the country's culture than you have no business wanting to live here. That's my opinion.

trackmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet kowompu wrote:
In which language are you filling your taxes Trackmaster Laughing
The decision of a state/governor, is not for the whole country.
As far as I know until Washington DC decide of something else, you're going to speaking american english for a long time.

In fact do you speak spanish? Idea and do you think that that spanish-speaking population cannot speak english?

Sweet, Why are you coming at me as if i made the the rules.. Google it and you will see. Type in Official Language of the United state of America, and you will see what is stated to you.

Anyhow i don't think that it's right that they want to interpret the U S National Anthem in English In spanish. I truly think, if you immigrate to a country, you should be able to communicate in the language taught in the school system.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: