KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

RODNEY NOEL OF NOEL & CECIBON PRODUCTION/COMPAS FESTIVAL

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM INTERVIEW CLASSICS!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: RODNEY NOEL OF NOEL & CECIBON PRODUCTION/COMPAS FESTIVAL Reply with quote Back to top

Florida Party Promoter Rodney Noel
Interview conducted by Patrick Desvarieux

Rodney Noel

Rodney Noel out of Florida is known as one the top party promoters in the Haitian music industry today. KOMPA MAGAZINE.COM sat down to talk with Rodney about the business and his formula for staying on top of the party promotion game. Along the way, he talks about T-Vice, Sweet Micky AND MUCH MORE. Enjoy

KM: How did you get started in the party promotion business?

R.N: I began in Haiti when I had just finished school. I was young and decided to become the band manager and founding member of Triomecs in 1998.

KM: What is the most successful party you’ve had so far?
R.N: T-Vice at Cassablanca in 1998.

KM: Which party was your least successful?

R.N: In this business, it is extremely hard to tell because there are so many factors that come into play, especially the weather.

KM: What are the plusses and minuses of being a party promoter?

R.N: The plusses are when you plan an event that turns out well. It brings great satisfaction to the promoter. As far as the minuses, the business is like gambling. You can win or lose at any moment.

KM: How did you get the idea to start the Haitian Compas Festival?

R.N: Actually, I always had it in mind to have an event that would bring together the hottest bands in the business. In 1998, I had a conversation with Isnard Douby of System Band who encouraged me to organize the event. I now have the means to do so because I had worked and built a relationship with most of the bands.

KM: Who can we expect to see on the show next year?

R.N: T-Vice, Konpa Kreyol, Tabou Combo, Phantoms and Top Vice.

KM: You’ve been very vocal in KOMPA MAGAZINE about Florida being the number one market in the Haitian music industry. Tell us why you think Florida leads the way, and also do you think it will remain like that in the near future?

R.N: I think Florida has proven itself by having some of the hottest bands in the business. I think it will continue to be that way. The market in South Florida is the happening place right now.

KM: Is there intense competition in the Florida party promotion scene?

R.N: There used to be, now many have fallen off the screen because it is a tough industry. In other words, the competition has calmed.

KM: Are you the top promoter in Florida right now?

R.N: Yes.

KM: A lot of people call you "Rodney Vice" because of your close association with T-Vice. Do you think it is an unfair label on you?

R.N: I don’t think so in the sense that my relationship with T-Vice surpasses business. We have bonded to the point where we are able to call on each other without hesitation. I must make it clear that I am a promoter with the goal of uplifting Compas music which involves all the musicians in the Haitian industry.

KM: Would you ever do a party with Sweet Micky while working with T-Vice?

R.N: In this business I emphasize on planning quality events and fostering healthy business with everyone I come into contact with. Although I have many shows annually with T-Vice, I have had less than comparable dealings with Micky. Because I am about business, I will veer where it’s best for me.

KM: Do you see a Sweet Micky/T-Vice party happening in the near future?

R.N: No comment.

KM: Is there money to be made in the Haitian party promotion business?

R.N: There can be big money if you know what you are doing. If the weather is on your side, if you promote accurately and apply the necessary ingredients of the business, there is money to be made just like any other market.

KM: What’s in the future for your company?

R.N: Huge projects that will unite Haitians everywhere in the country and abroad. Keep your eyes open.

KM: You are close to Top Vice. What do you make of the Freddy/Top Vice rumors?

R.N: No comment.

KM: Any final words?

R.N: Noel & Cecibon is dedicated to marketing Haitian music in order to take it to the next level. My partner Jean Michel Cerenord and I have sacrificed a great deal in the seven years that we’ve been putting events together. We want to contribute in making sure that Haitian artists leave this earth with more than just their names. We want them to get all the recognition that they deserve and worked so hard to obtain.

As far as those who support our events, we appreciate you. We will continue to plan quality entertainment that you and your family can enjoy. Noel & Cecibon will continue to be # 1 in this industry.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM INTERVIEW CLASSICS! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: