KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

Soccer Brings Joy, Death to Haitian's Family

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daphnee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Soccer Brings Joy, Death to Haitian's Family Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys I saw this on World News Tonight and I thought I would share it with you...sad story.

April 2, 2006 — Fabrice Noel grew up on the dirt playing fields of Haiti, where soccer is a national pastime.

"If you play a lot and are really good in Haiti and play soccer, you've got a lot of opportunity," said Noel, now a U.S. pro with the Colorado Rapids.

But besides opportunity, Noel's soccer skills also brought death.

In Haiti, his skills attracted too much attention. A rival team demanded he play for them, and they even made threats.

"Yeah, they tried to scare me," Noel said. "They say, 'I'm going to kill you.' "

But it wasn't Noel they killed: It was his two older brothers.

'They … Just Killed Them'

Noel was traveling in North Carolina with the Haitian national team when it happened. He called his mother to her when he would be home, and she told him not to return.

"Three guys came in the house," Noel said. "They have masks on their faces. They ask for me. They say I'm not there. And they saw the two brothers and just killed them."

The gunmen also ransacked his family home. Noel's parents and surviving brothers are hiding in the hills and living in a tin shack.

His mother says she lost three sons that day, because now she can't see Fabrice, who was granted political asylum and finished high school in Florida. After being picked up by the Rapids, he moved to Denver, where he lives with an American teammate.

"I know he was just completely distraught at first," said teammate Dan Gargan. "That's an unbelievably trying thing to get through."

Noel talks to his family every two weeks, while the team helps with efforts to get them out of Haiti.

"There's one possibility I have," said Noel's mother, "for Fabrice to get me out of here."

Noel worries about his family, but he remains focused on his game. Soccer can save his whole family — if he can find a way to get them to the United States.

"My goal is to become a big soccer player for the kids, and everybody going to know me, and I'll have a good career and have a good life," he said.

But the price of that good life is that he may never go home again.

ABC News' Brian Rooney originally reported this story for "World News Tonight" on April 1, 2006.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tilouj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is indeed a sad story. May God bless their souls and hope that he will be able to reunite with his family soon.

Sleepy haitian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I saw it on tv saturday night

That's sad I was telling my mother about it.

I was telling her that i just couldn't understand
because Fabrice Noel refused to play for
the rival team they had to go and kill his brothers.

I thought you had a right to choose and do
what you feel is right for you, not someone
else choosing for you.

I don't think Haiti will change if pple
think like that.

sleepy haitian

CatDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Even though I feel sad reading this article, what make me sadder if the fact that justice will not prevail? Damn assassins will work the street with no fear of being arrested or get punished for the crime.

FUNKY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow This is very Sad Crying or Very sad

wonder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is in fact a sad story, this guy is one of the talented players that the country has, I wish him success. The Rapids (the team he plays for in the MLS) have a fund in his name (The Fabrice Noel Fund) so they can collect enough money to get his family in the States, they started to work on it since the end of last year. I think that's very nice of them to do something like that.

JenJen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is the latest of things for me that just doesn't make any sense. Having someone to play on a team was sooooo extremely important that people actually had to kill Question Exclamation Question Wow.

JenJen

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: