KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

THE BAD SOUND EPIDEMIC CONTINUES TO HAUNT THE HMI!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ti boxer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: THE BAD SOUND EPIDEMIC CONTINUES TO HAUNT THE HMI!!! Reply with quote Back to top

I just don't get it!!!!!!!!

Why do sound engineer/sound providerS/sound equipments companies don't make it a point to deliver the best sound possible to performing bands in the HMI?

You'd think it'd be the goal of whomever is in charge to make sure they deliever quality sound. Perhaps that'd put them in demand for future performances or place them higher above the competition.

Could it be competition or lack thereof?

Could lack of competition be the reason HMI bands are taken for a nasty ride of ghostly sound problems during their performances. It's almost like a band hit the jackpot when they play with good sound. They almost have to get lucky.

I can remember the countless times HMI musicians have complained about sound problems during their performances. The usual victims rank from TVICE to Nu Look, to Djakout, Zenglen.... Carimi minm ke'm fe'm mal pou neg sa yo pa fos! And it's not just them - it's just about every band in the HMI? You'd think those sound guys would pick up on that and deliver the next time around. Not quite. In fact, it either becomes worst or continued subpar sound is delivered shows after shows - or until of course the band hit the jackpot and complete their set with good sound quality.

One thing I know for sure - It's tough when musicians have to play under unnacceptable sound conditions. It has the ability to affect everything from performance to insipiration and overall delivery. It's not uncommon to see AMI musicians and artist file lawsuits for stuff like that - because it's the job of the professional sound engineers/companies to make sure that quality sound is sustained throughout the show.

This is yet another reason we have a long way to go before we can be put in the same sentence with the AMI. There's a better understanding of that there then within our own circle of sound engineers/providers. I will never understand why our "sound guys" don't make it a priority to deliver the best sound possible.

Maybe more competition is needed in the sound engineer market. Maybe more pressure or stipulations in wriiten contracts ought to be more stringent to force sound engineers and/or sound providers to do a better job at delievering quality sound for performing bands. Whatever the option may be, it should be considered soon and placed higher in the priority lists of bands because one thing remains absolutely true: party goes, and listeners will likely judge your performance by the quality of your sound. If you sound bad, that's likely what people will remember. And that's never good for business.

Ti Boxer

Haitianone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Boxer

That is something I have been thinking about for awhile now. Good sound can make an event even better. Actually, you can be in a bad venue but the sound quality can still make the people remember that event for a long time.

Ti boxer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're most certainly right Haitianone! But it's almost like this is a foreign concept to sound professionals in the HMI! This is a real problem we have here.

Ti Boxer

belfam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

T boxer, i agree with you, I think the problem also can be placed on the venue and equipment too. Sound men need to realize the size of the place factor. I do not think some of our sound men is taking it seriously, they do not have to loose like their liscence or money or reputation. It the promoter and musicians' priority to make of some kind of contract with the sound engineer to make sure they are doing a good job and if not they should be penalize for it.
But of course nou poko genyen structure sa yo.
By the how many sound engineer do we have that is well known in the HMI and also did they go to school? or learned it by routine?

DJ Pepla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ti Boxer,
Is plain and simple; they are not engineers. Neg yo konekte kouran après sa yo fe makak tout la nuit a epi yo rele tet yo professional. Razz Razz Razz Razz

Sanrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We always complain about lacking of skillful musicians in the HMI, and I see it's the same with the Sound engineers. How many of them did go to school for it?

Some of them were just Djs and suddenly became sound engineer

PhizUniq

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When a musician/band is complaining about the sound and speaking out, they say "too much whining," or call them "ti kriye" like they have to accept to perform under inappropriate conditions.

But they will not hesitate to say that this band didn't perform right because of sound problems.

belfam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Phyz wap suiv. Si se te yon lot djazz ki te vin-n komplain yo ta-p kouri di li pa bon, se sabotaj etc...Mwen rinmin HMI sa net papa! Se komsi mwen ta di afe move son paka blemi on pefomans djazz. I have seen happen too many time.

NEGKREYOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PHIZUNIQ... a perfect example of what you said is CARIMI. I remember at the Compas Festival 3 years ago where Carlo was so pissed at the sound engineer for the poor sound that his band had...People started calling him all kind of names: tikrye, malelve, frekan, angran. In reality the man was right.

T-BOXER:
It all come down to contract signing... how can you file a lawsuit against the guy if he did a terrible job without a hard document? it is time for us to move from the pawol nan Dyol and start putting it in writing so action can be taken when things go wrong.

Someone else already said that...the band can be terrible but it the sound is good, you always remember that particular party.

Ab Normal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The mistake is that we think these guys know what they doing. and don't forget our musicians tend to be on the thritfy side when they hire sound people. also haitian musicians don't believe in sound check before a show. there's no way you gonna get good sound with all those variables in play.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: