KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

ZENGLEN REZILTA PI RED OFFICIAL SONG BY SONG KM CD REVIEW!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: ZENGLEN REZILTA PI RED OFFICIAL SONG BY SONG KM CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

*60 ANS COMPAS: Tribute to sixty years of our compas music. Good guitar groove after the intro vocals. Strictly a groove jam to introduce the cd....dominated by pulsating guitar and keyboard groove. Should have lots of fans sweating to the Live rendition at bals.

*SINCERELY YOURS: I fell for this track at the first listen. Great collaboration by Zenglen and Dener Ceide team, as well as WID and Dener on the lead vocals. Very simple, yet so rich musically, and extremely catchy in a SNEAKS UP ON YOU type of way. We understand that this song will be the first music video, and in my opinion, it is a great choice by the crew. This song will do very well for the CD. That "SUKRE" solo keyboard before the catchy chorus comes in is intoxicating. MIZIK SA MACHE NAN SANM ANPILLLLLLLLL.

*LAJAN MONTE BWA: Even before the first note of this song gets played, they already had a winner with this very "A LA MODE" song title that a lot of people can relate to in these tough economic times. COMPAS DIRECT HEAVEN with some kick ass music finding the group at its best. THE LYRICS ARE A+...10 SOU 10 as it reflects the song title to PERFECTION...and that will make many people fall in love with this song almost immediately. GADEW GITA GROOVE NAN MITAN MIZIK LA JESUSSSSSSSSS! I love that JACOB DESVARIEUX KASSAV voice sound alike with the call and chant in the middle of the song. They have a winner with this song in my opinion. FRERO BIEN DELIVRE SOU MIZIK SA vocally.

*TOUT BAGAY POSIB: I can see why this song might be one of the favorites for many. The music, lyrics, as well as style of this tune stands out. It is also different than all the other tunes on the cd. Having said that, we'll see when the dust settles, if it will be simply an outstanding track on the cd; or if it will be more than that. Outstanding tune.

*AN NOU MARYE: I have heard Frero deliver on slow tempo songs before, so it is no surprise to me here that he came through here...happy that he got a chance to display it on a Zenglen cd for a bigger audience. Good song overall, even though I believe that the final all around product delivered here...is missing that LAST little piece of spice to make it stand out in terms of a "WOW" factor. Nevertheless, it is a good enjoyable song.

I love that part towards the middle/end of the song when the keyboard groove comes in and Frero adds the "LET'S GO BABY...LET'S GO" as it gives you the impression that the BOOM factor is about to come in...and then it never does. Still an enjoyable song....and because of the LYRICS that will hit a nerve with lots of people out there, this song JUST MIGHT SNEAK UP ON YOU AND SURPRISE MANY IN THE LONG RUN.

*WOY KREYOL: Unbelievable how much Wid sounds like Zenglen former vocalist Reginald Cange. Wid reaches some really high notes on this track to display his vocal skills. A very solid composition with some nice musical chops from the group. Might be looking at the Antilles market a little with this track.

*4 GASON NAN YON: Guitarist BATO takes the lead on this track. Interesting topic to say the least that brings a totally different vibe to Zenglen and that will also brings lots of fun at Live parties for the band. I was laughing at the different descriptions of the 4 GASON mentioned by Bato on the song. FUNNY and GROOVY. Batons guitar is on form on this song.

*WITH YOU: This is the song that gave WID "My seal of approval" in terms of his vocal skills. In my opinion, his best vocal performance on the CD. Take that along with this well put together Chris Brown interpretation, I see major potential hit with this one if the group decides to push it. Very catchy "SALT & PEPPER/PAIN CHO A BEURRE" chorus, along with other ingredients that will have the ladies, the dance floor/zouk night club crowd going crazy. That vocal part when the music STOPS and WID sings "LE M AVEW CHERI AN MWEN" brings chills up my spine EVERY SINGLE TIME I HEAR IT because LI FEW VIV MIZIK LA. A song that if I were Zenglen...I WOULD BET MY MONEY HEAVILY ON. Has the possibility of doing for Zenglen what the "Obsede" interpretation song did for Harmonik. 10 SOU 10. ANMWEYYYYYYYYYY.....WID....APPROUVE!!!!!!!!!

*BON GREN: I like the message behind the song. IF YOU ARE GOOD.....They can't keep you down. The uptempo compas on there is also very good. Basically it is a BIG UP SHOUTOUT song by the group to THEMSELVES and to some of their supporters. Should do very well LIVE, especially when they add more grooves to it.

*BIRD OF PARADISE: New version with WID on vocals. As you all know, the original featured Klemay. I don't quite know what to say about this one. Don't get me wrong, WID delivers on this track well; but I was so used to Klemay's version that I don't YET see anyone else on it. In terms of the MUSIC, I might be wrong, but it sounds like they either ADDED or TOOK OFF some stuff from the original version (NOT talking about the vocals); but I'll still give the edge to the original version that was released as a single. Nevertheless, this ZENGLEN song remains a favorite of mine's.

*ZENGLEN PRAN DEVAN: One of the 2 singles that was released before the CD came out. Still sounds good as when I heard it the first time. They DID leave Klemay's vocals on this one. TANDE GROOVE GITA A SOU MIZIK SA.......ANMWEYYYYYY.

*CURRICULLUM VITAE: Song in which Brutus describes his RESUME for those that might not know, or give him credit for what he has done in the business. In the beginning BRUTUS does a little gloating "Comme D'habitude...BANM BAY YON NOUVO TALAN PASSE", then he passes the vocals to Wid. I feel as if he is DEFENDING HIMSELF in many ways against rumors with this song; I guess he felt he needed to do that in a song. Interesting thoughts in there which I am sure that some will agree with, and others won't. In terms of the music, cool track, but I doubt that the song will get attention from the band on the LIVE circuit. I think this is strictly a "CD SONG" in which Brutus needed to blow some steam off to clean up his reputation out there, tarnished by a few past members.

*FAVORITE SONGS:
"Sincerely Yours", "With You", "Lajan Monte Bwa", "Bon Gren" and "4 Gason Nan Yon".

*HIT POTENTIAL:
"Sincerely Yours", "With U", "Lajan Monte Bwa". This is different than songs that are SOLID WONDERFUL SONGS like some others are on the cd.

*LEAST FAVORITE:
I can't really say that I have one, but there are a couple of songs that I don't see myself playing on a daily basis. OK...The homage/give ME CREDIT BRUTUS track "Curriculum" was NOT needed (ONLY because of the words...The music could have been saved for another TOPIC) because like Zenglen says in one song...YOU LET YOUR WORK SPEAK FOR YOU....ou pa pale pou tet ou.

*PROS:

A) I like the fact that they keep on ticking CD AFTER CD, no matter what blow the organization gets. WAP TOUJOU JWEN YON BAGAY SOU YON CD ZENGLEN

B) WID: They have a diamond in the rough in this talented artist. If only Zenglen can get him to be WID and "NOT" a second version of Reginald Cange. PURE TALENT is there for all to see on the studio vocals. Now he needs to conquer the LIVE scene.

C) FRERO: Felt he did not get his proper due on the last Zenglen CD that he was on, and even though he has accepted that his role will be to help push WID as the main star of the group, I feel that he has enough strong material in his hands on this CD to do his damage.

D) ZENGLEN/KLEMAY: They kept his HALF vocals on two songs...they could have left it on "Bird of Paradise" as well...but I understand why they could NOT because of BUSINESS.

E) BATO VOCALS: Adding Bato as a main vocalist for 1 song does give the fans another vocal voice to digest...giving something different than Frero and Wid. Cool calculating move...and if this song is well received, look for THAT to continue on future Zenglen CDs if Bato is still around.

*CONS:

A) The SONG PLACEMENT once again. I "FEAR" that "WITH U" will get lost in the shuffle like "Dance in the Dark" did a little bit on the last CD. YO METE MIZIK LA JUS NUMERO 8. It should have been one of the first 5 songs on the CD. MY CD placement would have been 1) Lajan Monte Bwa 2) Sincerely Yours 3) With U 4) Bon Gren..SE 4 PREMYE MIZIK MWEN TAP PLASE SOU PLAK LA...and YES, I would have ended the CD with that 60 Ans Compas track.

B) WID style: ZENGLEN or WID should STOP or TRY to stop sounding like Reginald Cange because he shines BRIGHTER when he focuses on his own style. BE YOURSELF AND MAKE THE FANS ACCEPT YOU for YOU. YOU have the talent to make it as YOURSELF....bay Cange a vag....PLEASE.

C) GO WITH A HOT TREND IF IT'S WORKING FOR YOU: They scored a huge hit with the social song "REZILTA" last time with Dener. Even though "Lajan Monte Bwa" has slight hints, I would have gone back to the same source and style to see what would come out of it. Nothing on this CD goes along the same exact avenue as "Rezilta" and that's a shame Brutus did not see it as an important thing to tap on AGAIN.

*BOTTOM LINE: All the doubters keep making the same mistake over and over again. You are always counting Zenglen OUT, and you always end up looking stupid every time you do it. I can count on 1 hand or 2 the number of people in bands who have mastered the ART OF SURVIVING THE CHOPPY WATERS OF THE HMI more than Jean Brutus Derissaint. (See Brutus...KITE MOUN BA W KREDI...PA FE MIZIK POU BAY TET OU KREDI...LOOOOOL)

THIS CD once again will have the doubters eating their shoes in anger. Do I see a hit as huge as "REZILTA" on the CD? If I had to bet NOW, I would say no, but do I think that they can score a HIT or TWO on the CD, my NO HESITATION ANSWER for that is a CAPITAL "YES". Will it happen? A lot of factors will depend on that; but the top factor will be none other than BRUTUS and ZENGLEN themselves in terms of how they go about navigating the HMI waters with this CD.

This CD has a lot of GOOD SOLID WONDERFUL SONGS, and in that bunch, you have a couple of HIT POTENTIAL SONGS that if they do what I think they should do IF Brutus and Zenglen follow the script; will be more than enough to keep Zenglen in the conversation once again. In a nutshell, those who probably thought that Zenglen was done because of Reginald's departure, all I can say is get ready for REZILTA.....PI RED.

Patrick Desvarieux
KOMPA MAGAZINE!

wpozit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess it's a matter of taste, because I am in love with Curriculum Vitae. All of it. I read so many reviews from people who claim it to be their favorites. Bato really shines on it to me. But I agree with most of the review. We can agree to disagree on parts of it. Major work by Zenglen. Once again, the other bands are put in high alert for what they will put out. Pat, I am seeing album of the year with Rezilta Pi Rèd. No Rules by Kompasoul for new band of the year, and case closed.

Djdirimix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice review....I really like curriculum vitae myself and its on repeat for me...and also the bird of paradise version of Wid rive sou mwen ak fòs...i just simply amaze by the variation of his voice when hitting the notes....some songs he sounds like Regi C but on others like "With you" Canje pa gen pikliz sa sou griyol lol...

Melokompa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Zenglen has once again delivered big time on this cd. The last cd was good, but this one is great, the music and lyrics are way better. I have to disagree with Pat with the song curriculum vitae, it"s rich musically and lyrically and Wid delivers very well. No disrespect to Bato, 4 gason nan yon should have sung by Frero, he will take the song to another level. I have bought my copy since wednesday night and i have not stopped listening to it. My favorites are: Wow Kreyol, Tout bagay posib, An nou marye, Curiiculum vitae. I think Wid gave his best vocal performance on Wow Kreyol especially after :1:50 mark. That song gives chills, the music and the lyrics. Thanks Maestro Brutus for this song. They need to shoot a video for An nou Marye, respect to you Frero, what a song.

wpozit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I spent the past three nights playing Curriculum Vitae non stop. If I were a video director, I would shoot a video of that song free of charge both for its lyrical content and the music. Wowww! The song was Bato's idea first, and it carries a great message. And I believe Brutus has been bashed by too many in the HMI, and received too little credit for what he has done in our culture. Well deserved.

Jay Brooklyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for the review...
Zenglen lan batay anko...

Futur Ex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thx for the review! mwen ta swete yo booked this time

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: