Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - GERALD KEBREAU TALKS T-VICE/DJAKOUT KANAVAL RESULT + MORE!
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

GERALD KEBREAU TALKS T-VICE/DJAKOUT KANAVAL RESULT + MORE!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: GERALD KEBREAU TALKS T-VICE/DJAKOUT KANAVAL RESULT + MORE! Reply with quote Back to top

KOMPA MAGAZINE spoke to former T-VICE bass player GERALD KEBREAU about the 2014 kanaval, the T-VICE/DJAKOUT kanaval rivalry...and his thoughts on what he saw this year in the kanaval battle.....after being part of it for several years.

*Which band impressed you the most at kanaval?
KEBREAU: "Honestly Ambyans was very good and the most consistent the 3 days."

*2) What did you think of Djakout's performance? The good and the bad?
KEBREAU: "Djakout to me made a mistake not making sure their sound was on point ALL 3 DAYS. Their performance was helped by the fact that they had a very popular carnival so the public participation helped a lot.
I think they won the battle but didn't run away with it like most people thought they would.

I think T-Vice had crazy sound even I was impressed knowing they place a lot of focus on it, and they came out with a lot more energy than Djakout did from the footages I saw; but the fact that Djakout was allowed to close the Carnaval on that 3rd day they made it count. I'm sure there will be people who disagree but that's what I saw. I think if T-Vice had closed the third day we would be having a different conversation too."

*3) What did you think of T-Vice's kanaval performance? The good and the bad?
KEBREAU: "Again T-Vice had a lot of energy and great sound I wasn't surprised as I know what my old team can do. But they were facing an opponent that had a far more popular song and had to work very hard to get that high level performance. I will put it this way, it was like Kanaval 2012 (CEC la qualite) in reverse. Then T-Vice had a more popular song, came out blazing and really took it home all 3 days. This year, Djakout had the popular song, battled the first 2 days and took it home the last day."

*4) In all 3 days, which days did DJAKOUT and T-VICE win in your opinion?
KEBREAU: "I think Day 1 T-Vice, Days 2 and 3 Djakout."

*5) There seems to be some sort of confusion as to WHOM the kanaval champion is. In your opinion, is it ANBYANS, DJAKOUT, or....?
KEBREAU: "Again I was super impressed by Ambyans. I thought they could take the whole thing and they still might. From what I heard, the verdict that came is from Ticket Magazine but the Carnival Committee hasn't rendered its verdict yet. We'll see."

*6) In your opinion, is T-VICE at a disadvantage against Djakout whenever the kanavals are held in the PROVINCES compared to the capital in terms of their popularity to Djakout? Is that a fair assesment of things, or not?
KEBREAU: "I don't know if that's a fair statement. T-Vice is extremely popular in the provinces and a lot more than some people are willing to give them credit for. I think that in the beginning T-Vice used to beat Djakout so badly in kanavals and Djakout in the last 3-4 years has stepped up its game. It's not as lopsided as it used to be and some are interpreting it as "province weakness".. honestly that's bullshit.

In 2012 I'd say T-Vice was a clear winner because the song was great and it was followed by excellent beton performance. Production and delivery is the name of the game and now that Djaout stepped it up, that rivalry will last as long as both groups decide to keep it regardless of those against it."

*7) Do you think the bands are going too far in terms of the subjects they are tackling in the kanaval polemics or it's the name of the game....DEAL WITH IT?
KEBREAU: "Yes they are! I've never been a fan of personal attacks and I knew someday it would get this far. Honestly, in therms of polemic, if you get attacked then you wait for an opportunity to strike back. I think both bands should consider themselves now EVEN.. and get back to a more creative style of rivalry.

I will use this opportunity to also point out that there is a way to limit that sort of stuff and it should start with the Carnival Committee. I would start requiring as of next year; that all Carnival songs come out 30 days prior to the first Carnival day..with the Carnival text to be approved by a panel in charge of drawing that line. But of course who knows what kind of backlash a rule like that would come with but it's food for thought."

*Cool Has there ever been a time that YOU and the TVICE crew felt that you LOST a kanaval battle with Djakout while you were in the band?
GERALD KEBREAU: "There were times when we felt like we could have done better, but that's the kind of stuff I don't think is fair to divulge now that I'm not in the band. Over 15-16 years clearly there were highs and lows but we handled all matters in house and it's not my place to discuss how it is done in this forum."

KM!

MenkiJan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fair enough bro.

DEntertainment

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Depi son moun ki gen edikasyon kap pale li pa difisil pou wč sa and we need more of these types in the HMI. Bel interview Patrick as always and GK man last time you were in Chicago I had a chance to chat with you a little bit so jan'w delivre la nan interview a pa etone'm ditou..These are great answers..

Keep it up Atis!

belfam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

great interview
tks for sharing

Teampresident

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great interview

Deutch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I will use this opportunity to also point out that there is a way to limit that sort of stuff and it should start with the Carnival Committee. I would start requiring as of next year; that all Carnival songs come out 30 days prior to the first Carnival day..with the Carnival text to be approved by a panel in charge of drawing that line. But of course who knows what kind of backlash a rule like that would come with but it's food for thought."

AGREE 100%....SMART THINKING.......HOPE COMITE A PRAN KONSEY SA....

*** LOBE'Y LA PRAN LARI ***

*** MWEN KANPE AN DIFISIL SOU GRIMEL YO***

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sanrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Always fun reading Gerald's interview!

Like how he chose not to talk about how they used to handle business when he was in the band.

Great stuff Gerald!

dalida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Gerald is a classic when it comes to class. The man is at
A level not many haitian musicians will ever to .
He is in a class by himself.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: