KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

"If you don't know who i am...tread lightly" -- Ei
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seby85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: "If you don't know who i am...tread lightly" -- Ei Reply with quote Back to top

Any Breaking Bad fans in here?

In my humble opinion, this show is one of the best i've seen on TV. Evidently, besides Games Of Thrones, it is the best show on television. Breaking Bad is exquisitely well written with top notch character development. It contains drama, suspense, high grade acting, all of which are ingredients for great TV.

Since his metamorphosis from "mr. chip to scarface" is more or less complete, I'm rooting for Walt to emerge victorious out of all of this. Walt's greed, pride, tenacity, and animalistic impulses are all human characteristics. And most of us, although we might hate Walt for what he has morphed into, marvel at his accomplishments. It makes sense to root for Hank, the good guy, the law abiding citizen, but part of us are attracted to the dark side because it provides to us something that is anti-establishment and counter-cultural.

jeanVALjean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's been a treat to watch Walt's evolution from tighty whities wearin' "Mr. White" to "Heisenberg" whom he's grown to fully embrace. Last night's episode beginning with the flash forward encounter with his neighbor Carol nearly wetting herself set a great tone for the rest of the season. I'm intrigued to find out what exactly caused such fear.

The fact that Hank confronted Walt immediately is one of the good things that this show (as well as Game of Thrones and Mad Men) does very well. To have drawn it out any further would have diluted the drama.

This show will go down along with the Sopranos and the Wire as one of the all-time classics.

Seby85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jeanVALjean wrote:
It's been a treat to watch Walt's evolution from tighty whities wearin' "Mr. White" to "Heisenberg" whom he's grown to fully embrace. Last night's episode beginning with the flash forward encounter with his neighbor Carol nearly wetting herself set a great tone for the rest of the season. I'm intrigued to find out what exactly caused such fear.

The fact that Hank confronted Walt immediately is one of the good things that this show (as well as Game of Thrones and Mad Men) does very well. To have drawn it out any further would have diluted the drama.

This show will go down along with the Sopranos and the Wire as one of the all-time classics.

Well put my friend. I share all your sentiments. I absolutly love how Breaking Bad has successfully meshed together quantum physics, the principal of duality, and the subjectivity of morality together into Walter White's character.
For instance, an electron is both a wave & a particle akin to how Walter is both a meth cook (a menace to society) and a chemistry teacher (a law abiding citizen), a family man (a protector of life) and a cold bloodled killer (a drug kingpin). It's brilliant....

jeanVALjean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not to get all philosophical, but If a man's duty is to ensure a better life for his family, do the ends justify the means, especially if he's facing certain death? The easy (but not necessarily obvious or simple ) answer is no. Like Dexter who kills serial killers or Robin Hood who steals to give to the poor, there is a strong argument for moral relativism at least at first blush.

Walt, in many people's eyes, was morally justified at least in the beginning. Even if the product he was creating and selling was destroying families and communities, his was a noble cause--a desperate breadwinner who was dying and did not want to leave his family with huge amounts of debt and financially strapped. But Walt got greedy;power consumed him. His narcissism wouldn't allow him to quit while he was way ahead. Like the bank robber who gets away with it once... twice.... he kept at it until the weight of it all came crashing down on him.

Meanwhile, his partner Jesse finds himself in an emotional abyss. He's got all this money, but the guilt is killing him; too many innocent people have died. Perhaps if he gives it away to the homeless and to the addicts he's helped destroy, he would be cleansed. Alas! Will Jesse do the noble deed and help bring down the notorious Heisenberg or is his guilt so great that he takes the route of one Judas Iscariot?

Seby85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can certainly understand the moral justification of Walter's actions at the onset. However, it is important to scrutinized Walter's choices. Remember, he had options at the beginning. Although he could have taken financial help from his wealthy colleges, his ego refused. Therefore, I have to wonder whether Walter chose to prioritize his ego over the welbeing of his family.

In my opinion, Heisenberg has always been dormant deep within Walt's psyche even before the whole terminal cancer & meth saga actualized. I theorize that, his ordeal with cancer & subsequent decision to veer to meth cooking as the only alternative to help his family was only the catalyst which helped accelerate his transformation into Heisenburg. The alter, Heisenburg, was created shortly after he foolishly sold his share of that company & essentially allowed his true potential to erode. Heisenbug is the product of Walt's stunning realization that he is a genius who grossly underachieved while his less talented colleges reaped all the benefits.

In sum, I think that although Walt obviously cares about his family, he cares more about his legacy.

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

damn.... looks like i've been missing out on good t.v

maybe i can catch it on netflix.

KNOWS- IT- ALL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

those are great shows SEBY85 speciallly Game of thrones, but I highly recommend Boardwalk Empire check it out and let us know your opinion

KNOWS- IT- ALL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SIROMYEL wrote:

those are must watch tv series SIRO I know some sites

Seby85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KNOWS- IT- ALL wrote:
those are great shows SEBY85 speciallly Game of thrones, but I highly recommend Boardwalk Empire check it out and let us know your opinion

I love Game Of Thrones too. It has a fantastic plot, great characters, drama, violence, and sex. The perfect recipe for great television!

I will definitely check out "Broadwalk Empire".

Seby85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SIROMYEL wrote:

Yes you have! Very Happy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: