KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

ZENGLEN REZILTA: SONG BY SONG OFFICIAL KM CD REVIEW!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: ZENGLEN REZILTA: SONG BY SONG OFFICIAL KM CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

ZENGLEN NAN BAZ: (Bredjen): Nice club intro. I like the fact that they talked about this BREDJEN lifestyle in Haiti. That could intrigue or teach a lot of people who might not even known about it. The "music" in the background is what drives this song to life, and it does it extremely well. The song is a radio friendly/party ready in my opinion. I did not stop moving my body from the beginning of the song until the end. You appreciate it even more if you are blasting it loud through your speakers. "KORE'M BABY...LAGE'L LA" (I Liked that part a lot) The Jacob Desvarieux (Kassav singer) impersonation works well on this track as well...possibly by Brutus.

LOVE SOMEONE: This track is a great example of the reflection that is currently the new Zenglen sound on CD. It has all the ingredients for success in terms of what's working in the HMI market right now. Catchy love song with the right mix of Kreyol/English, and is also certified DANSE PLOGE READY. The solo keyboard at the 3:38 mark brings this song home the right way...and has Nickenson written all over it. (Did not read the credit at the time of the review...so I have no idea if it is or not). This song MIGHT turn out to be Kennyway's biggest hit for Zenglen for now. Let's wait and see.

REZILTA: I Looooooooooove this song. It is DIFFERENT. It also stands apart from all the other songs on the cd in terms of how it sounds. I am also very impressed with the horn section work on this track. This track also gives Reginald Cange the perfect platform to feature his vocal skills...example 2:30 mark (Non...Pap Lage). The title track also goes perfectly well with Zenglen's situation right now. No matter what is said...SE REZILTA A KI KONTE. I just did NOT want this song to end. Perfect candidate for my REPEAT button. WOW! My only fear for this song is Can Zenglen recreate the magic on this song LIVE without messing it up? That remains to be seen; in the meantime, let me replay the song again. WOW anko.

NOU GON PWOBLEM:Message to the HMI from Kennyway as he confronts the problems of the industry by asking KIYES KI PWOBLEM NAN? Most of the time, it is always a good idea to accompany an important message with a song that will attract people to sample it, and the group does exactly that with a good compas song here. At the 1:30 mark, the guitar work lifts up the compas level of this track. Simply a nice vibe on an important message to the industry. I especially like the part that starts at about the 5:30 mark where they just let the MUSIC/GROOVE take over...YO KITE MIZIK LA MACHE.

PROMISE: Nice English/Spanish adaption from Reginald Cange. The chorus at the 2:20 mark (Ou se Tout Mwen/Oxygen Mwen), the keyboard solo at the 3:28 mark are just some of the things that make me appreciate the song. This could be a stab that Zenglen takes to try and get some play in other markets. That roll of the dice could pay off and open up some doors, or it could do for Zenglen what "Obsede" did for Harmonik when they went along the same lines.

PA TCHEKE MENAJ MWEN: Interesting approach about a friend telling Kenny NOT to trust his girl; while at the same time, the "friend" is trying to get the goods. The 4:47 mark produces a great guitar groove that helps in terms of making the song what it is....a very very very solid track that will appeal to a lot of people. I like the rap part at the end that Kenny does.

LANMOU SE JWET AZA: Nice intro with an easy to sing/remember melody to start the track. This type of thing goes on a lot in our community and other foreign communities as well. Ladies just gambling on love if you want to call it that, in order to land themselves a big fish with money. Ladies looking to secure their futures by capturing a BIG POPPA, PAPI CHULO or what have you. The subject is well treated in terms of the lyrics and the music. The rap breakdown (I am assuming it's Reginald) at the 4:15 mark displays the versatility of the artist.

DANCE IN THE DARK: ZOUK NIGHT HEAVEN. This track is simply made for the DJS to rock the clubs/parties across HMI land. Beautiful...Beautiful....Beautiful...Beautiful track that DESERVES to become a HIT for Zenglen. GROOVE LA DOUS KOU SIWOMIEL and it also shows that Reginald Cange does not always have to be more than ordinary to impress with his vocals. Reginald Cange plays it cool on this track and he and the song DELIVER BIG TIME. It is one of my favorite tracks on the CD, and I know a lot of people will back that up throughout 2013 as well. If you thought the song was heavenly...when it gets to the 3:10 mark until the end ...that's when you are having a musical orgasm or money shot (Whichever one fits). When a song ends and you feel as if it just started and are begging for more, that's when you know the job has been well done....Kinda like a girl's legs shaking non-stop in ecstasy after you....(You know the drill ladies/fellas). Nothing complicated...just plain and simple a very catchy, classy major potential hit song. The first time that I heard this song, it was when I went to pickup the copy that was left for me at the record store. That song happened to be playing and I asked the store owner WHO IS THAT? That's when he told me it was Zenglen...and I said WHAT? YO GIN BAGAY NAN MIN YO.

3EME CHAPIT: Both singers feature on this track, which is a good idea. This track is custom made for the LIVE circuit. There is a dance that Kennyway is describing in the track that I can't wait to see how it's done Live. The song is not without the usual "SHOUTOUT ROLL CALL" (Lol)...but what really got me on this track was the INTOXICATING GUITAR WORK on this one.

CHERI PRAN PITYE: Eske ou pa bouke fe mwen Kriye? What would any HMI cd be without the obligatory "BEGGER'S SONG"? Zenglen serves it to you in that track. It's one of Kennyway's best on the cd and I suspect it will be the favorite of quite a few listeners as well. The song just sticks to your brain.

PA FE SA: For some reason, when I listened to the song on the cd, it seemed as if it had a renewed freshness to it. I am not sure if it's because I liked the single when it first came out, or if it's because they have done something different in the remix. If it's a remix, I can't tell any significant difference with this one compared to the original, but that'll work.

**FAVORITE TRACKS ON THE CD are "Rezilta", "Dance In The Dark", "Love Someone", "Cheri Pran Pitye", "Promise", "Pa Tcheke Menaj Mwen", and "Zenglen Nan Baz". All the songs are strong but the ones that I mentioned are my personal favorites.

**HIT SONG METER: TO me the songs "Dance In The Dark", "Love Someone", "Promise" show the MOST potential to become the HIT SONGS for Zenglen among the many good songs on the cd. Having said that, one never knows which song or songs that the public is going to go with in terms of support, but if I were to observe the current HMI trend, I'd say the ones that I mentioned here would be the safer bets. "REZILTA" to me is the standout song on the CD as it is my personal favorite on the record, but until I see/hear how the group will perform it LIVE to sell the song, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

**DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHY: I know that the group is trying to hype the return of Reginald Cange to the fans which we fully understand, but what I don't agree with is how they went about it on the pictures on the INSIDE of the cd. There are 2 huge SOLO pictures of Reginald, 1 huge solo picture of Brutus, but NONE (Zero) of Kenny Desmangles, who basically is also a lead singer and the writer of the majority of the songs on the cd. SA PA BON JAN NOU FE'L LA. Why not 1 huge solo picture of Kenny as well instead of the 2 of Reginald? I understand the marketing aspect of it...but BE FAIR as well guys.

I also expected them to feature NICOLINA visually a bit more instead of that small pic with a couple of the other guys...simply because after Richie's departure, whether people want to admit it or not, Nicolina remains one of if not the most popular Zenglen musician in the crew with the fans. Showing her visually a bit more would have been a statement homerun that NICO is still down with Zenglen.

**VERDICT: REZILTA A TONBE AND ZENGLEN PASSE WITH FLYING COLORS. With that cd, the group proves that there is life after Richie. In terms of SURVIVAL INSTINCTS, I have always said time and time again...NEVER COUNT OUT JEAN BRUTUS DERISSAINT in anything that has to do with music. He always has strategic cards to play on the table in order to remain relevant.

The research done for the "BREDJEN" song shows you how far he is willing to go to try and tackle some new subjects in order to keep him and his band fresh in terms of topics. The addition of Reginald Cange in the group brings out a new swag to the group's demeanor as reflected on the cd. Kennyway once again proves on this cd what many have known for years from NYAS, 509, and now Zenglen, that he is a talented individual who if given the opportunity to showcase his talent; will do just that and much more. They also went and worked with some of the best producers in the game right now, just to make sure that they are up to par in terms of what's hot on the streets. The Reginald Cange/Kenny Desmangles duo sounds very good on record, now they must bring the magic out on the stage with these new songs to help put Zenglen back where they belong.

The cd has great music that reflects the main artists quite well, and it also has HIT SONG READY TRACKS to keep the cd on the radio, in clubs, in people's stereos. I enjoyed this cd very very very much. REZILTA A TONBE....ZENGLEN PASSE TEST LA.....AN GRAN JAN I might add.

KM!

TNIKE JEANRABEL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: ZENGLEN REZILTA: SONG BY SONG OFFICIAL KM CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

with this CD zenglen take back their place in the HMI as 1 of the top bands. the band gets younger thats a good move on their part....

Neg2byen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good review Pat, now I can't wait to hear the whole CD. I listened to a few tracks on youtube and I liked them very much. I completely agree with your assessment on "Dance in the dark." This song has HIT written all over it.
One thing I was thinking about after listening to some of the songs in the CD and I want to ask, did Zenglen move too far away from the hard core KOMPA DIREK sound that they always had?
In your CD reviews Pat, you always talk about a couple songs that the group have for their hard core fans. Do you think that Zenglen have that one or two songs on that CD?
Do you guys think Zenglen is still that heavyweight KOMPA DIREK band that we usually refer them to when talking about 2-3 kompa direk bands we have left in the HMI.
So far other than "Rezilta," I haven't heard any songs that has that hard kompa that Zenglen usually play.
They might gain some new fans in the long run, but I'm afraid that they might lose some heavy kompa fans. Time will tell.
And again, great review Pat. You're always on point in your review and make it smooth and simple for the readers to read.

RICKY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Superb job by the Zenglen crew. . No need to skip a track at all. Sa s'on CD long play

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NEG2BIEN...Thank You.

Let me put it to you like this...DON'T BELIEVE the rumors about Zenglen "not" having any heavy Compas on there.

I can name you some songs like "Zenglen Nan Baz", "Nou Gon Pwoblem', "Pa Tcheke Menaj Mwen", "Lanmou Se Jwet Aza", and "3eme Chapit'. Si se pou bon jan mid-tempo/Uptempo compas...those are the tracks you are looking for. I did NOT even name "REZILTA" in there because I think THAT song is totally different than anything else on the CD.

KM!

Karenay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice review as usual Pat D. I could not agree more with your assessment on that song "Rezilta". It's on repeat mode in my car. It has a DENER CEIDE feel to it, I haven't read the credits yet. Other than that the guitar work is good. They sound a bit younger with simplifying the songs and the horns still fit in all the songs. I also like Promise because it highlights the versatility of Reginald Cange. Kenny, Kenny, wow great job on the album, he sounded more at ease and relaxed, as if he is back into his element. Great job guys on the album, hope the public appreciate the work you put in. Also, I hope you guys deliver live as usual for the core of your fans.

Melokompa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rezilta a tonbe et Zenglen toujou sou tet bato, mwen renmen cd a. Kom yon fanatik Zenglen, mwen tap pi renmen cd a si yo te gen plis songs tankou nan direksyon mizikal tankou Zenglen nan baz, et chante Rezilta a se yon klasik, renmen li tout bon et Reginald just killed it. San voye monte, sanble se Brutus ki formule Reginald.

Deutch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ZENGLEN REZILTA: SONG BY SONG OFFICIAL KM CD REVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

TNIKE JEANRABEL wrote:
with this CD zenglen take back their place in the HMI as 1 of the top bands. the band gets younger thats a good move on their part....

CHIUUUUPPPPPP

*** LOBE'Y LA PRAN LARI ***

*** MWEN KANPE AN DIFISIL SOU GRIMEL YO***

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
belfam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great review Pat tks
I make sure i get me a copy

Gladmy Spring valley33

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice review KM!
ZENGLEN anlè bato a,nèg yo fè yon CD kotew pa bezwen ap sote mizik,depi nan premye mizik la pouw rive nan denye mizik la,se bon bagay.Tankou KM di'l la,nimewo 2 deja HIT,mwen mizik preferem sou CD a se #6 la. Epi Kenny pwouve nou kisa'l gen djakout li

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: