KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

ARE WE KICKING THE WRONG BALL

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staff Poze 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: ARE WE KICKING THE WRONG BALL Reply with quote Back to top

ARE WE KICKING THE WRONG BALL......

Look like for more than a century Haitians have been kicking the wrong ball. After all those years that we Haitians spent playing soccer we only went to the World Cup once (1974) and in the big football arenas of Europe we don't have Haitians in the top teams as superstars or even on the bench in clubs like AC Milan -Barcelone - Real Madrid - Chelsea - Manchester United -Bayern Munich etc.... With all due respect to those who are playing in Europe for trying their best, we all know that they are at entry level salaries or playing in teams that are not considered the top ones or they are playing in lower categories with barely any media coverage. What are the chances of seeing them in an interview and a any special report after a game since the camera always look for the most popular players. What are the chances of having their jersey on sale at the stadium or at the sports shops. However in the American Football (NFL) we already have two Haitians who played in the SUPERBOWL in 2010 if we consider Jonathan Vilma of New Orleans Saints who has a ring and Pierre Garçon of the Indianapolis Colts.
This Sunday February the 5th, 2012 we will have one of the top superstars of the National Football League (NFL) the New York Giant Defensive End JASON PIERRE PAUL who will be playing in Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis. Look and cheer for number 90...You may not like American Football, but at least take a look at the game, don't decline a super bowl party invitation you never know you too may become a fan or have someone close to you someday as a superstar player. In Haiti, they are constantly showing the European soccer games, and young Haitians can name most of the players. Sports shows in Haiti (radio and T.V) usually spend half of their broadcast talking about the games and players in Europe and don't give a second of their time to the NFL. Don't get me wrong, I follow the European football league as well, but it's not a reason not to focus on other games besides soccer like American Football especially if Haitians are founding success in it. So I think that it's time that the Haitian media start to show some support and come up with some programs to educate our people about this game that is making so many HAITIAN MILLIONAIRES... Below is a list of Haitians playing in the NFL today...we all know that those guys are making millions of dollars. That's about two dozens of Haitian families living much better financially just because their boys chose the OVAL BALL instead of the usual ROUND BALL....
My advice to all of you...if you have to give a ball as a birthday or Christmas gift to a boy, and if you are going to Haiti try to give the oval ball to a kid. He may not like it at first, but he might thank you someday for introducing him to it. Our previous generations spent the whole 20th century kicking the round ball, in this 21st century teach the kids how to throw and catch the oval ball. In case this is not one of your favorite sports or if you don't know much about the game ask someone else for help if your child is showing signs of interest in American Football. There is no good excuse for young parents not to register their kids to a football camp or encourage them to join their school teams. If your child is in Haiti and your intention is to bring him to the U.S, send him some video games about American football and some other related materials, he might get interested at an early age and the game will not be so foreign to him as it was and still is for so many of us.
List of Haitian NFL Players:

JASON PIERRE-PAUL, Giants defensive end
STANLEY ARNOUX, New Orleans Saints, linebacker
CLIFF AVRIL, Detroit Lions, defensive end
D'ANTHONY BATISTE, Denver Broncos, offensive tackle
JACQUES CESAIRE, San Diego Chargers, defensive end
JUNIOR GALETTE, New Orleans Saints, defensive end
GOSDER CHERILUS, Detroit Lions, offensive tackle
ANTONIO CROMARTIE, New York Jets, cornerback
DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE, Arizona Cardinals, cornerback
LOUIS DELMAS, Detroit Lions, safety
VLADIMIR DUCASSE, NFL player.
ELVIS DUMERVIL, Denver Broncos, outside linebacker
PIERRE GARCON, Indianapolis Colts, wide receiver
RICKY JEAN-FRANCOIS, San Francisco 49ers, defensive lineman
MAX JEAN-GILLES, Philadelphia Eagles, offensive guard
RASHAD JEANTY, Cincinnati Bengals, outside linebacker
CARLOS JOSEP, NFL player
DAVIN JOSEPH, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, offensive guard
WILLIAM JOSEPH, Oakland Raiders, defensive tackle
VERNAND MORENCY, NFL player
STEVE OCTAVIEN, Dallas Cowboys, linebacker
JONAL SAINT-DIC, NFL player
JONATHAN VILMA, New Orleans Saints linebacker
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/35831/video-giants-flip-for-jason-pierre-paul

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I definitely second this. HAITIANONE Has been saying this for longest on the board as well.

I'm not a big fan of sports in general and American Football in particular.

My husband's been trying to teach me this game forever.

I get the theory of it i suppose but when I'm watching it things are not always clear.

But guess what... Sunday I watched the game and I was cheering for JPP and the Giants.

Of course I had to get some things explained to me (I'm sure hubby didn't enjoy that) but I enjoyed it.

LadyKreyol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a HUGE football fan since the mid 80s and I agree with you 100%.

I was routing hard for JPP because one I'm a Giants fan and two I remember when he was drafted and people said he was gifted but a lot of people also said that the Giants took a RISK on picking him in the 1st round and boy has he delivered ESPECIALLY this year when a lot of our key players were out on the disabled list. We Giants fans pride ourselves on our big D and now JPP is continuing the legacy that LT and many defensive greats have left.

I'm proud of all of our brothers who have made it into the NFL and I honestly wish them all continued success.

DONCUE_69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had mixed feelings this past sunday, i was cheering for my patriots, but i wanted JPP to succeed...
staff i guess more parents are encouraging their kids to play american football, if your kid is fast and a freak of nature they have a better chance to get a bigger payday.
i am not saying it's always the case but it's a reality.
the fact also Haiti's soccer program is not that successful for a few decades.
kids in america tend to opt for basket ball, or football
with the tim tebow mania, and the blake griffin phenom, we can expect more haitian american to go that route.

ps daphnee stay away from me Evil or Very Mad Razz
S- WEET
S- OUND
klass it is bebi

Haitianone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SIROMYEL wrote:
I definitely second this. HAITIANONE Has been saying this for longest on the board as well.

I'm not a big fan of sports in general and American Football in particular.

My husband's been trying to teach me this game forever.

I get the theory of it i suppose but when I'm watching it things are not always clear.

But guess what... Sunday I watched the game and I was cheering for JPP and the Giants.

Of course I had to get some things explained to me (I'm sure hubby didn't enjoy that) but I enjoyed it.

Syro is right been preaching this for at least 5 years and there were times people came here to attack me for their love of soccer which quite honestly don't know why.

The game is European game, you can probably count with your fingers how many Haitiains play in the premiere leagues. Personally its racism and bias and Haitian stupidity as well. While the NFL has over 50 the last time I counted and many more to come then the old list Staff Poze pulled from the Internet, it will be a haitian game in the next decade.

I will say this though, you know how Haitians are about sports from the diaspora, they will resist you no matter and talk about 1804 when you incorproate football to the national discussion. Money is not the problem where there is a way there is the will, it is consensus and trust me if the NFL knew it would benefit them they would even help sit up camps. They need talent to make the game worth their while and given how so many from Florida and other places have it made it in the NFL its no doubt.

Mizik_Lakay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Brandon Jacobs is also Haitian

He, said it himself to my friend who's JPP Brother in law at the game.

He said he just don't speak creol but he is Haitian.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426896_1856631751249_1704524056_978103_97508783_n.jpg

That's him and his wife (JPP sister) in the lower right side

Haitianone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mizik_Lakay wrote:
Brandon Jacobs is also Haitian

He, said it himself to my friend who's JPP Brother in law at the game.

He said he just don't speak creol but he is Haitian.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426896_1856631751249_1704524056_978103_97508783_n.jpg

That's him and his wife (JPP sister) in the lower right side

Are you saying Jacob is married to JPP's sister?

Mizik_Lakay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No,

Jacob's wife is white.

After the game, Jacob poses with JPP's sister and told them that he's part Haitian but he doesn't speak creol.

Neg2byen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haitian-American kids don't usually grow up playing soccer, so let's get this out of the way.
Now, you might be talking about kids growing up in Haiti. And, if that's the case you're 100% wrong they're not playing the wrong ball.
The chance of an haitian kid growing up in Haiti making it to the NFL is smaller than winning the lottery.
They're just not built for it; majority are small, weak and not developped enough to play this kinda game.
How would majority of them get the money to buy proper equipments to train? Would you want them to just play with no helmet?
People don't get good by watching the game as you suggested, they're become good by practicing...
I bet you if someone put a list of Haitian descendants playing in europe, latin america and other places around the world it would quatriple that list you just put.
How many of the players in your list were born and raised in Haiti?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: