KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

*CARIMI'S SONG BY SONG CD REVIEW OFFICIAL KM.COM BREAKDOWN!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: *CARIMI'S SONG BY SONG CD REVIEW OFFICIAL KM.COM BREAKDOWN! Reply with quote Back to top

Here is the OFFICIAL KM.COM song by song breakdown of CARIMI'S NEW CD. PLEASE READ THE WHOLE REVIEW to get the whole point of our review.

1) SAK FET NAN CARIMI: Catchy song that is already a hit LIVE...however, the STUDIO version lacks "punch" and comes off too "Zoukish" in a way. It gives you a feeling as if you are in a car and you are pressing the gas, and for some reason...gas la paka pran. The STUDIO song is in need of a tuneup...mixing issue perhaps?

2) COUVRE FEU: What I heard in the studio when I went to see that particular session (Still on KMTV2) is NOT what I am hearing on this cd. It's missing that little spice/hot sauce ON RECORD. Having said that, it will be a big hit at bals if pushed LIVE.

3) FIRST TIME: Even though the STUDIO track is a little "dry"meaning it's missing some SOUND DECORATION anba mizik la....IT will be a popular song because the lyrics and groove are extremely catchy. The group should have used NIA more than to just sing the chorus. The part where the "An PA PALE" chorus comes in has a very insatiable groove that will drive you crazy. I personally think that the Richard Cave sung "Por FAVOR" from the last cd is better.

4) PRAN POZ OU: This is one of the grooves that I really love from Carimi's current live setup. It's already good at bals. IT is well represented here on the STUDIO track...unlike "Sak Fet Nan Carimi". It is a party starter/crasher..and DON KATO represents really well on the cd. The only star from the guest stars who the group/composer actually lets LOOSE to accomplish what they do best. BEL GROOVE SONG!

5) SE LAM' PWALE: My favorite song on the cd. Very different for Carimi...plus it has the dual appeal of being commercial and avant garde at the same time. SONG CAN GET NEW FANS FOR THE GROUP. Advice to the group...PUSH THIS SONG HARD LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW. I can already envision at a concert...not bal..CONCERT where the lights are turned off and lighters are out, and couples are holding each other singing the chorus to the song with the group. Great crowd singalong song. There is a keyboard solo at the 3:40 mark that is THE BOMB!

6) POUVWA: Should have been the kickoff/first song on the cd because 'Sak Fet.." is not mixed well. Could actually be the biggest hit on the cd...it's already a great song LIVE. To think that this song was a last minute addition on the cd....I was begging Richard Cave, Mickael, and Fito to put the song on the cd...they said that it was too late, I guess they reconsidered with suggestions from many other people as well. Good move.

7) BANM PERMISSION: Good song with BLACK ALEX, however, he is not used to his maximum potential. They have him here in a STRAIGHT JACKET, and we all know BLACK ALEX is at his best when you let him loose. His chorus part is very catchy...The song is not bigger than it is because they did not use Black Alex to make the dish better...they only used him to DECORATE the dish as some sort of appetizer.

8) M'PA MACHO: This song could be the SLEEPER hit on the cd. I love this song a lot. I also love the way the subject is treated in terms of the lyrics. BAD POSITION ON THE CD in terms of song placement could HURT THE SONG. It should have been up further towards the beginning of the cd. It could be this year's version of TCHA TCHA where the song will be discovered let's say 6 months to 1 year AFTER the release of the cd, when the fans are getting tired of the more popular songs. SHOULD BE PLAYED LIVE. CARIMI flavor all over it.

9) EN SI PEU DE TEMPS: Camera click (mugshot) intro is very original. Deep and thoughtprovoking lyrics. EASILY the most personal and serious song on the cd. Changes into a commercial groove towards the middle of the song. NICE GUITAR/VERY NICE GUITAR at the 2:50 mark. Carlo is the BEST VOCALIST IN THE GROUP IN TERMS OF VOCAL TECHNIQUE in how he sings his notes in terms of being able to flip from range to range. (Mickael has the stronger/best LIVE voice, and Richard is the best Showman when SINGING Live). This song is EXCELLENT. SOMEBODY...PLEASE pay this guy money for a DANM SOLO CD. Everytime I hear Carlo singing a song on a Carimi cd, he makes you very curious to see how he would sound/be with a SOLO cd.

10) ARE YOU READY....Old song...NO REVIEW
11) U MY NUMBER 1: This song is another CARLO VIEUX track originally found on Djazz LA's last cd, however I sense that THIS VERSION IS DIFFERENT because Carlo has different things in there. The song is a little SLOWER, and it's a little GROOVIER....BEL SIWEL LIKE HONEY NAN TOUT ZOREY OU

SOU BEKI I assume is the carnival that they had released when they went to Haiti for that occasion....I did not listen to it.

PROS: Very catchy commercial cs with the same Carimi formula that got them their fan base. Some songs on the cd will get them new fans. Despite the other reviews that some members have given this cd, I really feel that this cd is the one out of the three Carimi released so far that will have THE MOST HITS FOR THE GROUP once the dust settles. Songe mwen te di nou sa.

CONS: The song placement at the BEGINNING of the cd. The mixing or the zoukish feel on "Sak Fet Nan Carimi" kills what should have been a great song to begin the cd. "Couvre Feu" the studio version is not the song that should have been here. "PRAN POZ OU" or "M'PA MACHO" would have been perfect there....or even "Pouvwa". The "muffles" sound on the first two songs can lessen the impact that these songs would have had had they not been muffled. I KNOW that the version of "COUVRE FEU" that I heard in the studio is NOT what I am hearing here on this cd.

NIA and BLACK ALEX are NOT used to their full potential on the songs. Rather than having them bring the songs over the top, they are just used to decorate the tunes.

To those who said that the cd was no good, I understand that it's a matter of opinion, but I can tell you that this cd has a lot of good stuff in there. It will do very good for the band.

TOTOVICE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you sir, Nuff said.. All in all Carimi manker yon bagay! Ki bagay? Spice!

TOTOVICE
MASS KONPA " BEL JAZZ "

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TOTOVICE...ARE YOU SURE YOU READ THE WHOLE REVIEW?

I really don't think so.

KM!

zipgenel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MWEN MENM PERSONELLEMENT SE YOUN NAN CD KE MWEN VRAIEMENT DECU DE LI... SA PA VLE DI LI PA BON...
UNLIKE OTHER PEOPLE, I USED TO BE IN LOVE WITH CARIMI STUDIO WORKS... AND NEVER SATISFIED AT BALS...
ANYWWAY... CARIMI GEN FAN BASE PA'L... SO KUDO TO THEM IF THEY ARE SATISFIED

zipgenel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

IS THERE MORE REVIEW COMING KM ABOUT OTHER ALBUMS?

DonGabbana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kòm KM te di l'ap fè review pou tout moun nèt Cool
Pou evite nouvo post... M'ap mete review detaye pa'm yo nan post respektif yo Cool
Do you mind KM Question
P.S. NICE REVIEW!!!

Last edited by DonGabbana on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ZIP

YES

Other ones are on the way shortly.

KM!

FANMKONESE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EXCELLENT BREAKDOWN IN GOOD ENGLISH..........

THE CD LACKS AMPIL AMPIL BAGAY POU MWEN.....Nothing compare to the last ONE..SANS OUBLIYE BNAG BANG....NAN CD SA....MWEN FEEL KE NEGS YO PA HUNGRY ENOUGH....pa dim KE DRIVE LA PA LA ANKO..... Idea

Since I have so many recent Livesssssssssss.............ampil ti grooves nan cd an mwen te commense bouque ak yo Rolling Eyes

Anyway map coutel toujou....Also Black alex ...NIA....to me se betize yo betize nan musics yo.......But BLACK DID AN EXCELLENT JOB NAN MUSIC TVICE LA.....That's another post...........Anyway a couple of peeps told me.....the cd will GROW ON ME.....WELL MAP GADE TOUJOU..... Sad

--Winston Churchill

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Gabanne

You can go ahead whether you like my review or not. You are free to post comments/reactions.

Thanks

KM!

TOTOVICE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I sure did Pat!

Quote:
It gives you a feeling as if you are in a car and you are pressing the gas, and for some reason...gas la paka pran. The STUDIO song is in need of a tuneup...mixing issue perhaps?

Quote:
COUVRE FEU: What I heard in the studio when I went to see that particular session (Still on KMTV2) is NOT what I am hearing on this cd. It's missing that little spice/hot sauce ON RECORD

Quote:
) FIRST TIME: Even though the STUDIO track is a little "dry"meaning it's missing some SOUND DECORATION anba mizik la..

Quote:
) POUVWA: Should have been the kickoff/first song on the cd because 'Sak Fet.." is not mixed well.

[quote]BANM PERMISSION: Good song with BLACK ALEX, however, he is not used to his maximum potential. They have him here in a STRAIGHT JACKET, and we all know BLACK ALEX is at his best when you let him loose. His chorus part is very catchy...[/q

TOTOVICE
MASS KONPA " BEL JAZZ "

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: