KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

CHECK OUT THIS GOOD NEWS FOR US CARIBBEAN PEOPLE.....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staff Poze 2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: CHECK OUT THIS GOOD NEWS FOR US CARIBBEAN PEOPLE..... Reply with quote Back to top

President Obama Issues Proclamation in Celebration of Caribbean American Heritage Month

President Obama

The fabric of our Nation has been woven together and enriched by the diversity of our people. Our legacy as a Nation of immigrants is part of what makes America strong, and during National Caribbean American Heritage Month, we celebrate the rich history and vibrant culture Caribbean Americans have brought to our shores.

Immigrants from Caribbean countries have come to America for centuries. Some came through the bondage of slavery. Others willfully left behind the world they knew in search of a better life. Regardless of the circumstances of their arrival, they had faith their descendants would have a chance to realize their greatest potential.

Caribbean Americans have prospered in every sector of our society and enhanced our national character while maintaining the multiethnic and multicultural traditions of their homelands. They are doctors and lawyers, public servants and scientists, and athletes and service members. Their successes inspire individuals in the United States and abroad, and we take pride in the contributions Caribbean Americans continue to make to the narrative of our Nation's progress. Their achievements are borne of hard work and ambition, and my Administration is committed to creating pathways to prosperity that ensure future generations of Caribbean Americans, along with all Americans, are able to pursue and realize the American dream.

This month, we also recognize the important friendship between the United States and the countries of the Caribbean as we expand our partnership to promote economic development, democratic governance, citizen security, and improved health and education in the region. Additionally, as Haiti continues to recover from last year's devastating earthquake, we remain committed to standing beside the people of Haiti as they rebuild their proud nation, and to working with others in the region to bring lasting prosperity and stability to the country.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2011 as National Caribbean American Heritage Month. I urge all Americans to commemorate this time when we celebrate the history and culture of Caribbean Americans.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirty first day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand eleven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fifth.

BARACK OBAMA

Congresswoman Yvette Clarke (NY - 11th District)

Congresswoman Yvette Clarke

As a Brooklyn native whose roots are firmly planted in my Caribbean heritage, I take great pride in celebrating Caribbean-American Heritage Month. This month we celebrate and recognize the many contributions Caribbean-Americans have made to this country. This would include people like, iconic actress Cicely Tyson, Former Secretary of State, General Colin L. Powell, legendary singer, actor and civil rights activist Harry Belafonte and the Honorable Shirley Chisholm.

"Caribbean-American Heritage Month is also a time to strengthen U.S. relations with the many Caribbean nations that we consider allies and neighbors. For this reason, I encourage all of us to continue to support our Haitian brothers and sisters as they work to recover from the aftermath of the January 2010 earthquake.

"Last month I joined U.S. Rep. Donald Payne (D-NJ) and U.S. Rep. Fredericka Wilson (D-FL) in sending a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in addressing the dire conditions that surround many of the Internal Displace Persons (IDP) camps, particularly the rise of gender based violence that occurs due to a lack of a structured security plan. I also joined my colleagues in expressing outrage in response to reports of IDP camps being destroyed in an attempt to relocate people. As a representative of the second largest population of first and second generation Haitian immigrants, I understand the importance of ensuring that our nation and our global community fulfils its commitment to help Haiti fully recover.

"This month of June, I encourage all of us to reflect on our shared experiences, interwoven cultures, and the influence and contributions Caribbean-Americans have made in our society. One love.

Congresswoman Frederica Wilson (Fl - 17th District)

Congresswoman Frederica Wilson

National Caribbean-American Heritage Month is a time to celebrate the rich history and culture of Caribbean-Americans not only in South Florida, but throughout our entire country. This month, we honor the lasting contributions of the Caribbean community and recognize its achievements in all sectors of civic life, from business to education to public service. It is this hard work and sense of purpose that enriches our nation each and every day.

"As a Bahamian American, I understand first-hand both the opportunities and challenges that the Caribbean Diaspora faces. This is why we must recommit ourselves to addressing the needs of immigrant communities, particularly in South Florida. We must also work to strengthen ties between the U.S. and Caribbean nations to promote trade, economic development, the rule of law, and access to quality health care.

"This month and every month, let us recognize the diverse contributions of the Caribbean-American community and honor its achievements in both word and deed."

Later this month, Congresswoman Wilson will be honored in a ceremony in Nassau, The Bahamas as the first Bahamian American elected to the United States Congress.

LouisJeanBeauge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is indeed a nice gesture to recognize the contribution of the caribbean to American culture.
On another note, African-America gets February - The shortest month of the year. The carribean gets June - The beginning of Hurricane Season. Laughing Laughing Laughing But in all honesty, I think the president chose June for weather purposes.

Haitianone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am not too sure f Haitians fall in the category of Caribbean peoples. That traditionally goes to those who are from the English Speaking Caribbean.

I feel bad for my people for real, they are from an island call Hispaniola and they are not Hispanic. Their country is place right in the middle of Caribbean and they don't even get recognized for being Caribbean, and the only reason why do it here is because they want to be nice.

Map suiv, all I asked is Haitian culture don't disappear otherwise I don't care what they want to classify me as.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: