KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

WYCLEF WANTS VOTING RIGHTS FOR HAITIANS ABROAD!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: WYCLEF WANTS VOTING RIGHTS FOR HAITIANS ABROAD! Reply with quote Back to top

What are your thoughts for this story below?

Jean Wants Voting Rights For Haitians Abroad

WYCLEF JEAN has laid out changes he will make to Haiti's constitution if he's successful in his bid to become the country's president - the hip-hop star wants to allow dual citizenship and give Haitians living abroad the right to vote.

The rapper is currently running for office in the impoverished nation, which has been left in devastation following a huge earthquake in January (10).

And Jean is already drafting plans to change voting laws in the country, where he lived until he was nine before moving to New York.

The former Fugees frontman - who has never sought U.S. citizenship - tells the Associated Press that Haitians abroad "should have the right to vote in their country", especially since they send billions of dollars in remittances to family members.

Currently natives who emigrate can only hold citizenship in one country and must renounce their Haitian citizenship if they become citizens of another.

LINK
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/jean-wants-voting-rights-for-haitians-abroad_1158633

Last edited by kompamagazine on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

impartial

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good Idea/thinking Haitians should have the right to dual citizenship, but I don't think that should even be mentioned right now as it is not priority...Haitians need food, shelter, medical care and schools (Basic necessities) right now...it doesn't matter if the Haitians living abroad can vote or not at this point of Haiti's crisis.

Haitianone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Preval also promised to do that and so did Aristide, but guess what they never did and I suspect Clef won't either.

pokann1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

THATS ONE GOOD THING TO MENTION BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING HOW YOU GOING TO CHANGE THE HEALTH ISSUE, EDUCATION FIND A WAY TO CREATE JOB FOR THOSE PEOPLE AND THE HOMELAND SECURITY APRE SA WA FOCUS SOU DUAL CITIZENSHIP FOCUS SOU SA KI IMPORTANT AVAN PLEASE WYCLEF EPI NOU FACE A FACE
BIZNIS LA RELEVE

Silans

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As a potential president of Haiti, Wyclef and other candidates should read the Constitution first before making statements that shows that he or others is/are not ready for the job yet. Knowledge is key!

Haitians holding a Haitian passport and a passport from a foreign country have a right to vote in Haiti (important to emphasize IN HAITI). They are allowed to vote.

DO NOT CONFUSE IT WITH THE ELIGIBILITY FACTOR THAT STATES THAT A PERSON RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT OF HAITI CANNOT HAVE A FOREIGN PASSPORT.
(sorry for the caps but it is an important difference)

Maybe Wyclef should instead say that he would like to make it accessible to all in the diaspora. Currently, no one can vote outside of Haiti to be more exact outside of the island. That means that Haitian embassies/consulates DO NOT have the ability to carry the process. (many arguments as to why but mostly corruption)

If you want to vote, you have to go to Haiti and vote, just like Wyclef said he did in Haiti when voting during the last presidential election.

Wyclef's attempt seems to be directed towards the Constitution. That same Constitution that makes him ineligible to run for President. You were on CNN the other day and you mislead the world about your eligibility by claiming you were named ambassador at large for Haiti. While you did get appointed to that position, you failed to mention the year it happened which was 2007. So you still fail the 5 years criteria. Now to those who are willing to sacrifice our principles to hope for a change go for it, I will not support a potential president who will violate the principles of our country on his first attempt to do some change (even if genuine).

It is a nice to see how you are trying to get the Diaspora behind you, by showing that you are working for them but in reality you are pushing your agenda.

If you truly want to help Haiti, sit out this election. Become a resident of Haiti, continue on doing your work to help the people, the kids, and 5 years from now run if you want, but this time it will be legitimate and you would at least show that you respect our rules and want to make Haiti better.

I am a youth of this country. Honestly, I do not believe in our government (history makes the point for me). If you really want to make a change, start by being legitimate. Start by making sense in your interviews, stop misleading the ignorant, start by a true role model to the youth of Haiti.

I am waiting on tomorrow to see if they will accept or reject you. At this point, I think people are so afraid of your supporters starting a civil war in Haiti that they might let you pass and violate our dear principles (Constitution).

Whether the Constitution needs to be changed or not, if you want to be a legitimate president, you need to respect the current one. Once, the new president come to office, it is up to him to address the issue with the senate and deputies.

OZ'MOSIS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Silans wrote:
As a potential president of Haiti, Wyclef and other candidates should read the Constitution first before making statements that shows that he or others is/are not ready for the job yet. Knowledge is key!

Haitians holding a Haitian passport and a passport from a foreign country have a right to vote in Haiti (important to emphasize IN HAITI). They are allowed to vote.

DO NOT CONFUSE IT WITH THE ELIGIBILITY FACTOR THAT STATES THAT A PERSON RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT OF HAITI CANNOT HAVE A FOREIGN PASSPORT.

Maybe Wyclef should instead say that he would like to make it accessible to all in the diaspora. Currently, no one can vote outside of Haiti to be more exact outside of the island. That means that Haitian embassies/consulates DO NOT have the ability to carry the process. (many arguments as to why but mostly corruption)

If you want to vote, you have to go to Haiti and vote, just like Wyclef said he did in Haiti when voting during the last presidential election.

Wyclef's attempt seems to be directed towards the Constitution. That same Constitution that makes him ineligible to run for President. You were on CNN the other day and you mislead the world about your eligibility by claiming you were named ambassador at large for Haiti. While you did get appointed to that position, you failed to mention the year it happened which was 2007. So you still fail the 5 years criteria. Now to those who are willing to sacrifice our principles to hope for a change go for it, I will not support a potential president who will violate the principles of our country on his first attempt to do some change (even if genuine).

It is a nice to see how you are trying to get the Diaspora behind you, by showing that you are working for them but in reality you are pushing your agenda.

If you truly want to help Haiti, sit out this election. Become a resident of Haiti, continue on doing your work to help the people, the kids, and 5 years from now run if you want, but this time it will be legitimate and you would at least show that you respect our rules and want to make Haiti better.

I am a youth of this country. Honestly, I do not believe in our government (history makes the point for me). If you really want to make a change, start by being legitimate. Start by making sense in your interviews, stop misleading the ignorant, start by a true role model to the youth of Haiti.

I am waiting on tomorrow to see if they will accept or reject you. At this point, I think people are so afraid of your supporters starting a civil war in Haiti that they might let you pass and violate our dear principles (Constitution).

Whether the Constitution needs to be changed or not, if you want to be a legitimate president, you need to respect the current one. Once, the new president come to office, it is up to him to address the issue with the senate and deputies.

I will my silent until tomorrow when CEP's decision is released. BUT I APROVE THIS MESSAGE BY SILANS.

opium

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Silans wrote:

VAGABON AN PA KITE ANYEN POU M' DI NON! Laughing
Ou fin pale, pitit gason m'. M' pap di anyen anko pou m' pa paret tankou m'ap fe eko lol

Last edited by opium on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

opium

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am forced to retract my previous statement, at least partly as far as my agreeing with Silans is concerned. I just went over our Constitution. It states that "dual Haitian and foreign nationality is in no case permitted" (Article 15). Therefore, for one has to be a Haitian citizen to be authorized to vote, whoever seeks another citizenship is automatically stripped of his or her Haitian nationality; thus his or her voting right in Haiti. So Wyclef does have a point. I apologize to him for what I just said, at least for this particular matter Smile
However, as some fellow KMers already pointed it out, this is no urgent matter. I understand that M. Jean wants to curry favor with the diaspora, but there are so many other pressing issues.
Oh, according to that same constitution, you're not eligible, sir. Sorry. Let's look at the bright side of it, though. You have 5 years to gain some leadership experience. Run for mayor or something Smile

Gromosso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ammending the constitution like Clef stated so that Haitians living abroad can vote is secondary right now. There are far more pressing issues that need to be addressed first.

Silans

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Opium, while I do agree with your point and I also made sure to verify, I have found a comment by a minister Haiti a while back. In addition, if you listen to Metropolis of 2 Saturdays ago, they make the point that you are still eligible. I am not a lawyer nor expert so I may be wrong. I quickly google something up and found a comment from a minister

Quote:
Le ministre Jean Généus devait répondre à la question d´un intervenant qui trouve injuste que étant aujourd´hui le principal soutien économique du pays natal (près d´un milliard de dollars en transferts effectué par an), la diaspora haïtienne ne peut pas participer aux élections déterminant la politique du pays.

Le ministre répondit tout de go : rien n´empêche les compatriotes expatriés, y compris lorsqu´ils ont pris la citoyenneté du pays d´adoption, de participer aux élections en Haïti.

La Constitution haïtienne qui enlève le droit à la candidature aux haïtiens naturalisés, ne dit pas un mot du droit de vote.

Il suffit pour un haïtien de se présenter avec une pièce d´identification haïtienne pour faire sa carte électorale (aujourd´hui Carte d´identification nationale/CIN). Généus fait remarquer que rares sont les haïtiens qui après avoir pris la citoyenneté américaine, canadienne, française ou autre, ne continue pas à utiliser un passeport haïtien chaque fois qu´il se retrouve au pays natal.

Le reste est une question de logistique. L´Etat haïtien va-t-il installer des bureaux électoraux en diaspora ? Probablement non. Trop compliqué et coûteux. De plus, la fiabilité n´est pas forcément garantie.

Here is another article from Metropole which stresses the point of having it accessible to Haitians abroad

Note: I removed the link after being notified that it is the wrong article. Thanks Opium!

Experts of the Haitian Constitution should be able to clarify this matter.

Last edited by Silans on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: