KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

TEMPO: KM CD REVIEW OF "PRAN NAN CHO" CD!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: TEMPO: KM CD REVIEW OF "PRAN NAN CHO" CD! Reply with quote Back to top

Here is KOMPA MAGAZINE's OFFICIAL CD REVIEW of TEMPO's debut CD "PRAN NAN CHO".

*PRAN NAN CHO: Good kickoff track (CARIMI off-spring). Very uplifting feel good track despite the indication from the lyrics/title. The group can actually score with this track if they push it right, especially since at the LIVE premiere, they showed that they can play that song very very well with good crowd response. This song is commercial with a fair amount of "C" on it.

*ENTRE NOUS: What struck me from the very beginning of this song is that BERTO ON THIS TRACK is not comfortable singing in FRENCH due to the words/vocals NOT flowing naturally at the beginning. I emphasize AT THE BEGINNING, because towards the middle of the song, he flows much better. However, the music/beat is very soothing/calming. The "I just Wanna Know This Love Is Real" is a very nice chorus/melody. If the vocal was more natural, the song would have been more of a "Can't Miss" hit. Don't get me wrong, THE MUSIC/SONG puts it in contention, however the vocal performance (FRENCH) on this one puts it up in the air. I really love this song a lot, and I am hoping that it scores despite the beginning.

*AWOYO (With SHABBA): Voye Monte/Uptempo track. The GUITAR part as well as some others are on point and gives the group a possible LIVE BAL banger for people to jam to. The SHABBA part(s) were TOO BRIEF as the group wasted a SHABBA appearance that should have been used to lift the track to hit potential status. They did NOT use SHABBA well on this track, however it can still work well at a bal setting.

*POUR NOUS DEUX: The change at the 2 MINUTE MARK to me is really where the song starts. The beginning of the song might either put people to sleep, or have them reaching for the fast forward button, but hopefully for the band and song, the listener will reach the 2 minute mark to discover a very smooth/mellow and very danceable track that is absolutely a good addition to the CD.

*HAITI: I liked the chorus from before when BOOGIE had me listen to it before the CD's official release. "WEY YALALA....WEY YALALA RO" is a very catchy hard to take out of your mind chorus. This song is chorus driven. I enjoyed the track because CHORUS YO BEL ANPIL. "M'ave'w" part is very good as well.

*NAVIGE (With NIA): The chorus caught my attention from the very beginning. BERTO does very well on the vocals with this track, so does NIA. The group could have a hit with this track.

*SOLITUDE: Good uptempo track, but it does not really leave a mark on me that will make me go back to click on the rewind button. CAN be a great "LIVE" track to make the crowd jump.

*DON'T CRY GIRL: I don't think the first vocal verse is Berto, but I might be wrong, because that almost turned me away from the track. But having said that, THE VOICE COMES ALIVE on the second verse until the end of the song. The music is very nice, and so is the message, apparently about a woman whose been in a bad relationship being told thatbetter days are ahead.

*I'M IN LOVE: Previously released track that showcases Berto at his best vocally. This song is what I call a "REAL ESTATE GRABBER", a song that can grab fans that are not part of the group's targeted audience.

*TALIBAN: Previously released track which I think has a little CARIMI feel to it. Having said that, the song is enjoyable to listen to and can be an uplifter LIVE.

*OU FE'M HIGH: I really really really LOVE this song from the very first time that they released it many many months ago. Berto gives his best vocal performance on this song + the chorus is very intoxicating. This easily could have been a major hit had ALAN CAVE sung this song (You can see it crafted for his vocal style), but being that TEMPO is new, the unwritten rules/law of the HMI dictates that they must pay their dues.

PS: BERTO...Watch out for the habit of changing vocal ranges ON THE SAME SONG. Also, try to get away from the "CARIMI SOUND" tag so that it does NOT stick on the group....even though those songs are actually good. Also be careful with the uptempo...although good, a couple tend to sound a bit too much alike.

The group CAN/WILL catch people's attention with this debut CD. Out of all the new upcoming bands...TEMPO VOYE PREMYE KOUT ROCH LA with this CD. I enjoyed the CD, and I am positive that I will not be the only one.

BRAVO TEMPO! You guys did a very good job for your debut.

KM!

ILandfaces

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info Patrick, good luck to them boyz cant wait to get the CD hopefully it will be in Orlando soon.

Some Marketing tips for upcoming bands and record labels, before releasing your album, release a single with video, go out to different cities, do radio interviews, release your band poster before the album not with the album which doesnt make any sense if you ask me. Get in contact with record shops in each city, release a website where the fans can watch your reheasal, different photo shoot and more. Do a listen party online before the release, also sell the cd on your website so people wont have to wait 2, 3 weeks before getting it which at the end hurt the band because its very easy for people to lose interest.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
1Lov'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: TEMPO: KM CD REVIEW OF "PRAN NAN CHO" CD! Reply with quote Back to top

kompamagazine wrote:

Here is KOMPA MAGAZINE's OFFICIAL CD REVIEW of TEMPO's debut CD "PRAN NAN CHO".

*PRAN NAN CHO: Good kickoff track (CARIMI off-spring). Very uplifting feel good track despite the indication from the lyrics/title. The group can actually score with this track if they push it right, especially since at the LIVE premiere, they showed that they can play that song very very well with good crowd response. This song is commercial with a fair amount of "C" on it.

*ENTRE NOUS: What struck me from the very beginning of this song is that BERTO ON THIS TRACK is not comfortable singing in FRENCH due to the words/vocals NOT flowing naturally at the beginning. I emphasize AT THE BEGINNING, because towards the middle of the song, he flows much better. However, the music/beat is very soothing/calming. The "I just Wanna Know This Love Is Real" is a very nice chorus/melody. If the vocal was more natural, the song would have been more of a "Can't Miss" hit. Don't get me wrong, THE MUSIC/SONG puts it in contention, however the vocal performance (FRENCH) on this one puts it up in the air. I really love this song a lot, and I am hoping that it scores despite the beginning.

*AWOYO (With SHABBA): Voye Monte/Uptempo track. The GUITAR part as well as some others are on point and gives the group a possible LIVE BAL banger for people to jam to. The SHABBA part(s) were TOO BRIEF as the group wasted a SHABBA appearance that should have been used to lift the track to hit potential status. They did NOT use SHABBA well on this track, however it can still work well at a bal setting.

*POUR NOUS DEUX: The change at the 2 MINUTE MARK to me is really where the song starts. The beginning of the song might either put people to sleep, or have them reaching for the fast forward button, but hopefully for the band and song, the listener will reach the 2 minute mark to discover a very smooth/mellow and very danceable track that is absolutely a good addition to the CD.

*HAITI: I liked the chorus from before when BOOGIE had me listen to it before the CD's official release. "WEY YALALA....WEY YALALA RO" is a very catchy hard to take out of your mind chorus. This song is chorus driven. I enjoyed the track because CHORUS YO BEL ANPIL. "M'ave'w" part is very good as well.

*NAVIGE (With NIA): The chorus caught my attention from the very beginning. BERTO does very well on the vocals with this track, so does NIA. The group could have a hit with this track.

*SOLITUDE: Good uptempo track, but it does not really leave a mark on me that will make me go back to click on the rewind button. CAN be a great "LIVE" track to make the crowd jump.

*DON'T CRY GIRL: I don't think the first vocal verse is Berto, but I might be wrong, because that almost turned me away from the track. But having said that, THE VOICE COMES ALIVE on the second verse until the end of the song. The music is very nice, and so is the message, apparently about a woman whose been in a bad relationship being told thatbetter days are ahead.

*I'M IN LOVE: Previously released track that showcases Berto at his best vocally. This song is what I call a "REAL ESTATE GRABBER", a song that can grab fans that are not part of the group's targeted audience.

*TALIBAN: Previously released track which I think has a little CARIMI feel to it. Having said that, the song is enjoyable to listen to and can be an uplifter LIVE.

*OU FE'M HIGH: I really really really LOVE this song from the very first time that they released it many many months ago. Berto gives his best vocal performance on this song + the chorus is very intoxicating. This easily could have been a major hit had ALAN CAVE sung this song (You can see it crafted for his vocal style), but being that TEMPO is new, the unwritten rules/law of the HMI dictates that they must pay their dues.

PS: BERTO...Watch out for the habit of changing vocal ranges ON THE SAME SONG. Also, try to get away from the "CARIMI SOUND" tag so that it does NOT stick on the group....even though those songs are actually good. Also be careful with the uptempo...although good, a couple tend to sound a bit too much alike.

The group CAN/WILL catch people's attention with this debut CD. Out of all the new upcoming bands...TEMPO VOYE PREMYE KOUT ROCH LA with this CD. I enjoyed the CD, and I am positive that I will not be the only one.

BRAVO TEMPO! You guys did a very good job for your debut.

KM!

After reading such a very Good and well detailed review, I'm very interested in getting my copy.
Pat, I noticed that you've referred to Carimi on many of the track reviews. I don't know, I just hope it helps more than it hurts them. In my experience in the HMI, sometimes not intentionally sounding like another Band has some great advantages. For Example, the Early Tvice successes had a lot to do with a heavy influence of the Top vice and Sweet Micky combo. Tempo has nothing to lose by imposing Tempo on the people( by that I mean If Tempo sounds like another popular Band, it's Probably due to the composer main influences). Nothing wrong with that. They are my Boyz and I will support them.
Glad the CD is out and the Hard work has begun. Promotion, Promotion .......Sky's the Limit
Good Job Pat
Peace

" KM" 1Lov's Hometown Newspaper..

yef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat,

Thanks for the review. From I've heard so far on the CD, it's pretty good. I'm still getting to know the tracks. Number 6 - "Navige" is definitely hit material.

I'll come back with a mini review when I'm done.

Clifton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Many thanks Pat KM! For the review I can tell definitely, so Tempo has a nice album to book a good number of shows and Tempo looks like will do so well live…I wish Tempo my best to the industry and Stacy keep it up baby…

Tomorrow I will go to get my CD to enjoy it more... Very Happy Very Happy

CAP - PORT MARGOT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds promising, yo voye premye roch la vre, I hope they hit something.

FUNKY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eh bien sanble tempo a pa mal..so map tann mwen jwen li poum ka di sam pensé tou Wink

thx Pat Wink

kompared

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for a very detailed review, Pat.

I cannot wait to put my hands on that CD to examine the content myself...!! Very Happy

yef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TEMPO CD REVIEW - THE FAN PERSPECTIVE
CD TITLE: PRAN NAN CHO
RELEASED: NOV 7 2008

*PRAN NAN CHO: (Uptempo track)
Definitely the party starter. Can get any crowd going.... Nice pick for a video.

*ENTRE NOUS:
my least favorite song so far...I don't like the vocal mix. Not worth the second spot on the CD.

*AWOYO (Uptempo track) Idea Idea Idea
"Chay la lou...chay la lou" is very catchy. Will do well live!!
Shabba sou track la, what else can I say! It's hot!!
The part that goes: "Men tempo" at the 4:30 mark along with the catchy keyboard will set the place on fire!!

*POUR NOUS DEUX: (mid tempo track)
This song is still growing on me.
The part that goes: "Love was made for me you....can't stop loving you" is very nice!

*HAITI: (Uptempo track)
Nice topic - nice melodic feeling to that song.
The keyboard solos are my favorite off the cd. The tempo flavor is all over it.

*NAVIGE (With NIA): (mid tempo track) Idea Idea Idea Idea
The HIT HIT HIT factor of the CD. I don't think any band besides Zin, has scored such a nice song with Nia before!
If I were Tempo, I would push this song to the fullest!!

*SOLITUDE: ( Uptempo track )
Another tempo flavored track with a little hint of Tantan's "Pam Pam Pam" guitar lick at the beginning of the track.
Easy to digest.

*DON'T CRY GIRL: (mid tempo track) Idea Idea Idea
Very deep song about a girl with a story of abuse by men... Tempo is basically saying to the girl "Pa dekourage...bliye le pase...jou ou pral rive"
Very nice song!! Bel vokal, bel solo!! A lot of people will identify with this song.

*I'M IN LOVE: (slow track) Idea Idea Idea Idea
Already a crowd favorite in my book!! This song can do damage live concert style....Berto should stop the music live and teach this song to the audience and let them sing it for him!!!

*TALIBAN: (Uptempo track)
Tempo flavored song.. that guitar riff in the beginning can help build anticipation for that song in the live setting.

*OU FE'M HIGH: (slow track) Idea Idea Idea Idea
One of the best songs on the CD. Tempo scored with that song!!! This one is must live!!!

APIYE SOU MWEN (CARNIVAL) ..released last year...tempo style

SUMMARY:
Tempo's musical style is what I call "roll call" - the songs are chorus based.
As a debut CD, the guys did a great job. This is exactly what they needed to pierce through the market!
They scored big time with the collabo tracks on the CD (Shabba and Nia).

I'm not sure if they strategically did this, but the album lacks a little variety in terms of sound/style.
There is no right or wrong here and this strategy can definitely work for them if they want to inject their style in the listeners' veins san pedi tan.

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sounds like yo gen bonmachandiz...

m'ap gadepou'm we when i getmy copy.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM CD REVIEWS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: