Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - TI MICHEL'S 5 INGREDIENTS THAT A NEW BAND NEEDS FOR SUCCESS!
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

TI MICHEL'S 5 INGREDIENTS THAT A NEW BAND NEEDS FOR SUCCESS!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RICKY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alot of good points are made in this thread. many bands need to go over them and see where they are going wrong. Totally agree

Ti Michel would you consider backing up a small band which you think have the potential to make it big or have you ever taken the chance before ?

ti-manmi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i think we need a clear definition of the scense of the word discipline .. because what i got from ti michels point is that he meant discpline is also reffering to internal conflits....

question to staff
If a group has a lack of vison of the group in it's ensemble ( like conflicting egos for example ) can it be related to lack of discipline or management issues Confused

tropidisc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ricky- I am willing to back an underground band that has the elements that we are talking about. Mwen pa di ki gen known members. The prerequisites have to be there. We have worked with Daan Junior, we released his first album with the mega-hit "Ave'w" We worked with Ayeen.
I will take what I think is a calculated risk.

Where words fail... music speaks

ti-manmi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

STaFF PoZé wrote:
Ti Mamnie
NO I don't consider Ouvè Le Kò as a hit song
A hit song is a song that you don't leave the party until it's played....and is one that you know a DJ can't afford not to play it at any giving party....it's omni present on the airwave wherever you go.... think about 5 dwet-Biznis Pam-Zanmi....It is also a song that other bands like T-Vice -Mickey- kreyol La and others tend to play at their shows to get people on the dance floor like WDYSYLM...by Nu Look is a good example...Ouve Le Kò never meet such level...it was just a good song....

I don't deny that H.O had their internal problems and the management did or always find a way to solve them even by letting some of their best players go in order to save the group...Any band can have internal problems...but as long as a band is on time and keep a good stage presence (including uniforms)...I will consider that they care to show respect and did their job.
I couldn't care less if my employee had a fight with his/her spouse on the way to work...I care that you on time and you perform your duties...I can't take disciplinary action for whatever is happening outside the work area...
We the public happened to know more than we should sometimes, but the only thing that we should judge a band for is their behavior at the time that they are working for our money.

staff do you agree with the fact that publicity & promo can increase demand for you product Question

Therefore the more exposure the song gets the more has a chance to become a hit?

I do not think that all the songs that became hit where good in quality per say Confused

but they all had a special quality I do not know what it is though, Confused Can someone tell me:?:
ti michel other question Exclamation

Is a power ballad more incline to become a hit than an upbeat song?

tropidisc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ti manmi- No- it depends on the quality of the song (lyrics/hook. ect). However, in our markets these days the power ballads seem to have the edge due to the fact that public relates to the subject at hand.

ti-manmi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tropidisc wrote:
Ti manmi- No- it depends on the quality of the song (lyrics/hook. ect). However, in our markets these days the power ballads seem to have the edge due to the fact that public relates to the subject at hand.

i am soory i ask so many questions Embarassed

Are all the HIT songs good song in quality meaning voices , orchestrations ,powerful message well written Embarassed

or they just have those quality you mention like a hook and the fact that people can relate to the context of the songs and a good beat ... Question

tropidisc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No not all hits songs are sung well. However they convey the message to the listeners. All hit songs have a good hook.

Staff Poze 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tropidisc wrote:
Staff- It seems that you are ignoring one point of my reply; which is MUSIC. Le mwen di mizik mwen di hit song. Antre ou men avem Daan Junior was not known me li te gen hit song. I beleive that in order for a band to successful yo need all of the elements because it is a chain in my view. Music san marketing san bon management san discipline = Failure. Or you can change the order it will still results in Failure. I also beleive that having known or prooven artist in a band makes its easier as they already have a fan base. Staff let me ask you a question, If Alan, Gazzman, Aly, Ti Joe, Mika, Tantan, Kino, Ritchie vin sou ak on projet/new band et Ti Jean, Ti Paul, Ti Chris vin sou ou ak on projet tou. Projet yo are at the same level musically which project will you choose?

Mich,
Let's be real...we are on the same page and saying basically the same thing except that I don't agree with you on the notion that you have to have a known artist as an ingredient in order to work with a group....and you turn around talking about your "success story" with Daan Junior...which means that you are in agreement with me that it can be done...So it cut both ways, and I agree with you that you need to promote...and discipline artits...hope you read and understand one of my previous posts when I said that you can't promote a product that is no longer available on the market...

Reality check
Anna Pierre had a mega hit....METE SUK SOU BONBON'M a song that took our community like a storm...it was on the lips of everyone...and a nice video to back it up....then what happened...each time they put her on stage...she can't deliver...the same thing could have happened to Daan/Belo/Tifane etc...
In the real world the purpose of live concerts is to promote a current album...in our world artists are constantly on tours and depend only on live shows to make end needs....something is seriously wrong with our way of doing showbiz....

Now you said that if Alan, Gazzman, Aly, Ti Joe, Mika, Tantan, Kino, Ritchie vin sou ak on projet/new band et Ti Jean, Ti Paul, Ti Chris vin sou ou ak on projet tou, but you add that IF THEY ARE AT THE SAME LEVEL MUSICALLY WHICH PROJECT WOULD I CHOOSE.....As a producer you should give consideration to the unknown because they WILL BE YOUR NEXT SUCCESS STORY...if you really have what it takes to PROMOTE and MARKET....because the key phrase is SAME LEVEL MUSICALLY....I would want to work with them instead of letting such talent go to waste only because I choose to work with name recognition...and this is why I always said that one of the CANCERS in our community is that we have a shortage of real promoters...people who are willing to discover new talents....we mostly have people going out for the quick money while new talents are going to waste....Thank God you took the time to invest (produce and promote) in Daan Junior....and thank God that Fabrice took the time to invest (produce and promote) in Belo and Tifane...like Yvon Ciné did for King Posse...those are the success stories of real promoters/producers...unknown artists that they turn into superstars....you can make a much better profit than going for the quick bucks......Belo's success took Fabrice to Africa a place that Mizik Mizik didn't take him after so many years....and I'm sure with the international record deals he sure make more money than all the Mizik Mizik albums combine...that's what I'm talking about...
So you are telling me that you would have choose an Arly cd over Belo...if it was you...sometimes a good businessman needs to go back to basics...think of Daan Junior he is your success story not those out there making it already....So those Ti Jean/Ti Paul/Ti Chris are known today as Belo/Daan Junior/Tifane....

ti-manmi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

just passing by to tell you how much i love this debate very informative

thank you for both your response....

university hmi right there Razz

back to the topic Arrow

tropidisc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Staff- You have taken my response out of context in regards to the "known" member. I stated that having one access to an instant fan base. However it is not the requirement.

Reality check- Live performance is so necessary in the HMI not as necessary in other markets. In other markets while it is not necessary to do live shows, the one that have a demand make a killing. Nan kelke soi market la, de pi ou gen demande pou live show wap fe kob.

Now on my comment about the HMI star you opened a new paranthese about Belo, Tifanne. I was talking about a new kompa band. Even in the AMI the record company have leaving member clause n their contract because of the fan base that the stars have. They do not want someone else to make the money after they spent time and money developing an artist. Why do you think that livenation gave so much money to Jay-z and Madona? The answer is track record. Why are they not investing in unproven acts?

Now Staff we can not compare Belo/Tifanne with a kompa album. Di mwen Emeline, Beethov. You are comparing apples and oranges.
In one of my previous replies, I stated to you that Ti jack, Ti joe tunrs into tomorrow stars and I have long understood so.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: