KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

A BREAK FROM THE MUSICAL SCENERY AS WE KNOW IT ...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Mizik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: A BREAK FROM THE MUSICAL SCENERY AS WE KNOW IT ... Reply with quote Back to top

Ladies and Gents,
Yesterday, I got my hands on a compilation of the work of world renowned Haitian classical guitar player/composer/ethno-musicologist Amos Coulanges. I highly recommend this CD to those who are in quest of quenching their thirst to discover different facets of our music and our rich culture. With a deft touch, Mr. Coulanges unprecedently found the perfect way to combine our folklore with other musical genres to present it to the world. His work defies certain sciencitific principles. It is the perfect expression of what I called the non-additive aspect of music. He combined our folkloric heritage with the rigid European classical guitar techniques and what came out was surprisingly more Haitian than what he started with before the experiment.

Sincerely,
Dr.mizik

From the web ...
Doté d'une personnalité rayonnante, ce guitariste Haïtien sait donner à son instrument les échos du tambour, réussissant à marier avec bonheur, élégance et raffinement les thèmes populaires d'inspiration Latino-Américaine et la musique savante Européenne.
Ses oeuvres le placent dans la galerie des plus séduisants compositeurs pour guitare tels que F. Tarrega, H. Villa-Lobos, Léo Brouwer, M. Ponce ....
Son parcours ......

Amos COULANGES est né en 1954 à Port-au-prince. En novembre 1975, il est salué comme la révélation du Festival de Guitare à la Martinique. A son retour en Haïti, il enregistre son premier 33 tours : Musique Haïtienne pour Guitare. En juillet, il participe au Festival CARIFIESTA de Kingston à la Jamaïque. En décembre, il est l'invité du 11ème Festival Mondial de Guitare de la Martinique. C'est là qu'il rencontre Léo BROUWER, Alberto PONCE et John WILLIAMS.

Ce n'est qu'en 1976 qu'il se consacre entièrement à l'étude musicale. D'abord au Canada (où il est diplômé Bachelor of Art), puis dans les académies d'Europe : Sienne en Italie avec Oscar GHIGLIA et l'Ecole Normale de Musique de Paris avec Javier QUEVEDO. Il poursuit simultanément des études universitaires à la Sorbonne (Paris) et obtient en 1987 un D.E.A. (Diplôme d'Etudes Approfondies) en ethnomusicologie sur la musique du vaudou en Haïti.
En décembre 1986, il remporte le premier prix de composition au 7e Carrefour Mondial de la Guitare, pour l'ensemble de son Oeuvre (prix de la SACEM).

En 1989, ses talents d'interprète lui valent une médaille d'or en guitare classique au Conservatoire de Saint Germain en Laye (France). Passionné par toutes les expressions musicales, il se forme à la direction de chœur; il dirige actuellement KARIKANZO dans la région parisienne, pour lesquelles il aime composer dans le style de son pays. Reconnu comme l'un des meilleurs guitaristes de sa génération, il réussit parfaitement la synthèse de la musique populaire et de la musique savante.

http://www.musicprom.com/e_amos.html

Last edited by Dr.Mizik on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

TanBouM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for sharing the news about this Amos Coulanges compilation Dr. Mizik. I would very much like to check it out. Can you please provide the title and label info of the cd? Is it released on a Haitian label or an international? Is it available online?

Thanks in advance!

ps - i just clicked the link you provided. Is it the same cd as pictured - "Haiti" ? The sound samples dont seem to work unfortunately, but i will keep an eye out for this cd.

Last edited by TanBouM on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay Brooklyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Doc...
Growing up in Haiti in the 70's, I saw Amos performed on several occasions...
He's an amazing guitar player..
I have not heard of him in a while.
I would love to see him perform again....

Dr.Mizik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tanboum, the title of the CD is " Amos Coulanges Music Haitienne Pour Guitare". It seems as if it was produced and distributed by "La Boite a Musique Raoul Denis" in Haiti and Marc's Record in Brooklyn. I'm not sure if it is available online, but I got mine from Eddy Brisseaux's red trumpet van. Hope that was helpful!!!

Jay I found this clip on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fle3dK__amw

TanBouM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Perfecto! The red trumpet van was gonna be my first stop!
Now i know what to ask for.

Se yon bon bagay ou ye, mesi anko!

-TanBouM

Jay Brooklyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dr.Mizik wrote:
Tanboum, the title of the CD is " Amos Coulanges Music Haitienne Pour Guitare". It seems as if it was produced and distributed by "La Boite a Musique Raoul Denis" in Haiti and Marc's Record in Brooklyn. I'm not sure if it is available online, but I got mine from Eddy Brisseaux's red trumpet van. Hope that was helpful!!!

Thanks, Doc...
very enjoyable clip, indeed...

TanBouM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jay Brooklyn wrote:
Dr.Mizik wrote:

Thanks, Doc...

I enjoyed it too. He seems to be performing his own interpretation of Franz Casseus' "Yanvalloux" (Also known as Nan Fond Bwa)

Speaking of Eddy Brisseaux - he is performing at SOBs this Sunday night.
Along with Reginald Policard's group and vocalist Pauline Jean.

Ann al sipote bon mizik!

Jay Brooklyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TanBouM wrote:
Jay Brooklyn wrote:
Dr.Mizik wrote:

Thanks, Doc...

I enjoyed it too. He seems to be performing his own interpretation of Franz Casseus' "Yanvalloux" (Also known as Nan Fond Bwa)

Speaking of Eddy Brisseaux - he is performing at SOBs this Sunday night.
Along with Reginald Policard's group and vocalist Pauline Jean.

Ann al sipote bon mizik!

I will make sure that I attend...
Thanks for the 411...

belfam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks i enjoyed the clip bon bagay!!!
i will make sure i get this cd

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I will try to getmy hands on this.

Thanks.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: