Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - HAITIAN STUDENTS TO BOYCOTT "FESTIVAL OF THE ISLAND&quo
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

HAITIAN STUDENTS TO BOYCOTT "FESTIVAL OF THE ISLAND&quo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoiHenri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: HAITIAN STUDENTS TO BOYCOTT "FESTIVAL OF THE ISLAND&quo Reply with quote Back to top

I was reading this peice out of the Haitian Times and thought I would share it and get your opinion on it.

The second annual festival of the Island scheduled in Santo Domingo next month may mean asking the organizers to move the event somewhere else, according to a protest note released last week by hundreds of Haitian students. They are protesting againts the festival as they view the Dominican Republic as hostile to Haitians.

University students have been protesting the treatment of Haitian workers, and beleive the profits from the event will not help those in need, so they will organize a boycott to force oraganizers to go elswhere.

YOUR THOUGHT PLEASE.

Inconnu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Finally!!!

What is the point of doing this fest in the D.R. anyway? From what i've gathered it is not attracting Dominicans to our music.

Protesting has nothing to do with the people of the D.R.; it simply sends the message that the inhumane treatment to which Haitian are subjected in the bateys ought to change for the better.

BTW, did any artists performing at the fest last year protest that system in any way?

D K Bess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been in Dominican Rep. 2 years ago. I met some haitians students and haitians workers there.
They all told me that this is not a place for haitians to live.

Mwen te pansé ke yo tap pran festival la pou yon bon bagay pou yo ka relax yo.
Leu ou alé en tourist sé bel bagay paske ou pa vini pou rété.
Si sé pou plin poche dominicain Mwen Kont sa...
Fok li ka édé situation haitien yo kap viv nan péyi sa...
BAGAY YO PA DOUS DUTOU... Crying or Very sad

Madan Mika

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well it is sad to hear how they are treated down there but still it doesnt explain why they would boycott an even made for them...

MADAN MIKA
BACK ON KM
NO MORE BORING DAYS

XXplosive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always tought that the D.R, festivals would be good for student in the DR because they are offering them an opportunity to spend a rare haitian weekend in D.R.
Reading this post right now made me realize that the whole point of the festival in D.R is just pointless. These kids can cross the frontier whenever they want to go to Haiti. Why not held it in one of the nice beaches in Haiti. There are not too many of those down there. I really don't see why it has to held in the Dominican Republic and they call it Festival of the Island as if the dominicans are accept us as their neighbors.

Mizik_Lakay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mwen dako avek elev yo. Mounn yo pa gen anken respe pou nou epi nou toujou ap achete figu yo. Sak fe yo pa fe li ayiti pito, fe festival, le lambi pou atire tourist lakay nou. Se kreyol nou ye, an'n sipote lakay.

kompared

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Why the students come to study in DR if they hate it that much? sa se hyprocrisy li ye.
I agree that the treatment receive by the haitians in DR is inhuman but BOYCOTTING the event is uncalled for.

A real boycott would be for them to not going to school there, than I would take them serious... Arrow

D K Bess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

XXplosive wrote:
I always tought that the D.R, festivals would be good for student in the DR because they are offering them an opportunity to spend a rare haitian weekend in D.R.
Reading this post right now made me realize that the whole point of the festival in D.R is just pointless. These kids can cross the frontier whenever they want to go to Haiti. Why not held it in one of the nice beaches in Haiti. There are not too many of those down there. I really don't see why it has to held in the Dominican Republic and they call it Festival of the Island as if the dominicans are accept us as their neighbors.

XX,
It's not true...
Not all of them can cross the frontier whenever they want.
I met a haitian worker there. She told me that she would like to go in Haiti. But she is not sure if she could go back in DR.
Anpil la dan yo ILLEGAL... Crying or Very sad

Last edited by D K Bess on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

D K Bess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kompared wrote:
Why the students come to study in DR if they hate it that much? sa se hyprocrisy li ye.
I agree that the treatment receive by the haitians in DR is inhuman but BOYCOTTING the event is uncalled for.

A real boycott would be for them to not going to school there, than I would take them serious... Arrow

RED,
Ou pansé yo rinmin sa???
Tou sa mwen té rankontré yo di-m dépi yo gin DIPLOME yo yo jeté yo.
Paske sé sa selman yo vin chčché pou yo tounin nan péyi yo.
Si yo rété nan DR yo pap jwen travay paske sé haitien yo yé.

Gin anpil haitien ki ap fč NINPOT BAGAY pou yo kité haiti.
Gin Haitien ki minm nan péyi ke ou pa tap janm pansé.

XXplosive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kompared wrote:

Kompared, se pa Hyprocrisy....you have to understand, Haiti fin kraze....moun paka viv ladan. Every student is looking for a way out. Some have the means to come to the United States, those who don't go the the Dominican Republic where they can go to college and escape the life of kidnapings and dirt all over the place. To go to Haiti for vacation is one thing but to live in it it's a sad story.

DKbess thanks for the info, i thought they could cross the frontier as they please. I'm not all for the boycotting but Haitians mus ask themselves if there are different ways, other than music to make these students life better. Do the Festivals in Haiti and keep the money down there. How often in the year to we get to hear a Festivals taking place in Haiti. Not that much.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: