Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - OLD SCHOOL VS NEW SCHOOL
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

OLD SCHOOL VS NEW SCHOOL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Brooklyn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Owen, tell your dad to move on...
pantalon pat elefan pa ala mod enko, tande'm tande wo... Laughing Laughing Laughing
ves twa pyes pa ala mod onko, tande'm tande'w wo.. Laughing Laughing
di lepe al tande ansyen mizik Skah-Shah yo, la tande komen jazz la te konn pale de generation ki te vinn avan'l la....
moun sa yo pat vle askepte ni Tabou, ni Skah-Shah.
pou yo se Jazz des Jeunes, Nemours ak Septen selmen ki te konn jwe mizik....
di papa'w ke lap repete minm sa papa'l te konn di..
tan yo change, groove yo change, fok nou change tou wi...
Owen, do you agree with daddy?

Ben1265

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I do feel like the old school bands were better, but in all fairness, it's a mixed bag: Today's bass play is generally more varied, as croixdesbouquets points out. Also, the drumming is definitely better now than it was 30 years ago: The old school bands did a lot of kale sinbal. Now, there are exceptions, of course. Herman Nau's play has always been very versatile. but generally, today's drummers and bass players have more range. I also think guys like Tantan, Joel Widmaier and alan Cave improved the level of vocals, or more to the point, they have raised the level of expectations the public has for singers.
However, yesterday's melodies were much more polished, and the quality of the music definitely was more of a focus than the animation. Today, the animation seems to be what people care about the most. To borrow a statement a famous guitar player made to me the other day, "Our konpa today is a konpa of slogans. The melody, arrangements, and instrumentation has all gone down." I agree with that, in spite of the exceptions I listed above.

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't listen to too much old school, But I;ve listened to some skah shah and DP, scorpio AND I think some freres desjeans as well (Iabsolutely love those guys. I 've also listened to some others that I don't remember the names.

The music does tend to sound more complex than what some of our bands are playing. However, I will tell you what I do not like.

Too much vents. I love horns, but those guys definitely over did it. Maybe about 90 percent of old school konpa is winds(well at least the ones I hear). I like the variery that we have now where you get some keys, some guitar, some winds.

The drums was very monotone. I find that the current drummers do more breaks. And that's one of my favorite things. I look forward to the breaks when I'm listening to konpa.

And as far as vocals, those guys defintely just sounded straight up annoying. Maybe it was bad recording, but I think we have made somegreat progress in that department. Most of our singers now are decent. Background vocals minm se pa pale.

I'm not impressed by a lot of the song writing either. A lot of the words just did not flow.
I will tell you this...I'd rather listen to zenglen than any one of those bands. Maybe it's a generation issue.

kompekok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Even though I grew up with the new generation, I found myself going back to the old school because I found their music to be richer, the lyrics more meaningful and the singers were definitely much better.

What I distaste the most with today’s crop of so-called top bands is their lack of originality; most of them are playing the same notes with some slight variations and they are accusing each other of plagiarism, how ironic!

I fell in love with the old generation’s music so much that my music collection, which consisted almost entirely of the new generation, is gradually shifting to a mix between the two generations to about 80% new and 20% old. My goal if for it to be at least 50/50 by first quarter of next year, and to tell you the truth if the new generation continues on the same path I would not mind if my collection is 80% old school. Since the Thanksgiving week-end I have been enjoining DP Express (M'Pa Pran Contac & David). Next on my list is Bossa Combo album.

(Dadou Pasquet)

Kunta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Band you said what? Old School kale senbal more? Wow! From all the old school music I listened to, I heard a whole lot of the snare drums around the senbal. I thought it was this generation that stuck on the senbal.

HERE'S WHAT A FULL BAND LOOKS LIKE

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: